What Are You Doing In Case Of Famine?

Regina

My gut feeling is to stay away from air guns for home defense. You're relying on a bluff and I'd imagine, assuming the invader was unarmed, plinking them with an airgun would quickly lead to close quarters combat. You could potentially incapacitate or even kill someone if you got a perfect shot to their head, but in a panicked situation like a home invasion, I don't think that would be wise to rely on.

If you put a bayonette on the gun then that might not be a bad idea.

PCP air guns are by far the strongest, but they're expensive. For cheaper options, gas piston is allegedly easier to use and quieter than traditional spring loaded guns. For survival, assuming you have easy access to an air compressor, the PCP would be best, as the stronger models can take down boar and small deer. But that's an investment of an upwards of 2,000 dollars. If you wanna hunt small game there are plenty of cheaper spring or gas piston guns that should get the job done.

Non-firearm home defense: I'd say a tactical flashlight is one of your best bets. At least 1,000 Lumens max output. Blasting someone in the face with blinding light is extremely underrated. And tactical flashlights always have a bezel on the edge for striking, unless they're big enough to be used as weapons themselves, like the Maglight. I'd imagine blinding someone and then striking them with a flashlight would be very possible. And shining a flashlight into someone's eyes does not take much accuracy, which is important to consider in a situation where you're likely to panic or even have a panic attack, such as a home invasion.

Hard knuckle gloves are also a great option.

Without a viable firearm, I'd say close-quarters combat weapons are your best bet. The tactical flashlight can help close the gap if there's distance, by blinding people. All I can say is if you can't own a real firearm, you'd better learn how to handle yourself in close quarters, pray that the other person doesn't have a firearm, and learn how to be relatively proficient with close quarters weapons.

Even just getting proficient in boxing basics, punching with hard knuckle gloves could be very effective. I think I'd prefer a weapon but hard knuckle gloves and a tactical flashlight would be my bare minimum if I was going "unarmed."

That's the situation I'm in, as I don't own a firearm. All I've got is my tactical flashlight, hard knuckle gloves, a variety of knives, and my sai. The sai really are great. Seriously. If you can get over the nerd factor, take a moment to imagine what exactly is 'nerdy' about getting stabbed or struck with solid steel. They are extremely threatening and I definitely would not want to be in a confrontation with someone using them.

If someone was using a steel pipe or a baseball bat, at least you have a chance to grab it or block it, cover your head and rush them, etc. With sai, they're much smaller, and if you use them to punch, they're basically a substitute for your knuckles, extending barely an inch past your index finger. Blocking or getting out of the way of someone using sai the same way a boxer would throw punches would be extremely difficult, and getting punched with a steel stud just about anywhere on your body, even if you're heavily clothed, could very easily be incapacitating.

Just my recommendation. Even for the novelty, just give them a try. Once you feel them in your hands you'll probably get what I'm talking about, and why I feel like they're one of the best close-range self defense weapons out there.

I'm leaning towards the idea of only using one. If someone was in my home right now, I'd put a hard knuckle glove on my left hand, and my tactical flashlight in my left hand. And take one sai in my right hand.

Baseball bat is hard to generate power with, when only using one hand. A lot of non-compact weapons are. The sai in a single hand would allow you to very painfully stab and incapacitate someone or strike very hard with the steel end by punching. You could swing it and hit someone with the prong, but I feel like that's the least effective thing to do with a sai. You either want to stab with the prong or punch with the stud if you're trying to incapacitate someone.

And definitely get hard knuckle gloves if you can. I was actually making a habit out of wearing them while I drive after reading about someone who was in a car accident, had hard knuckle gloves on, and it saved their hands. They're great to have just in general, and in my experience make great hiking gloves. If you take a little spill, you can land on your fist and the gloves will go a long way in breaking your fall as long as your fist is tight and proper.

It's also nice to know if you had to punch someone really hard, you could do so without breaking your hand on the bones in someone's head.

Anyway, just some random thoughts. I'm looking into an air gun myself, and was very curious about them for home defense as well, but everything I've read basically said it's a no-go. I've just accepted that since, for the time being, I'm not gonna get a real firearm, my go-to is the tactical flashlight and close-range weapons. Again: the flashlight is extremely underrated. Blinding someone who is attacking you is really invaluable and could be the difference between you getting killed and getting the advantage.
Bear spray is very good for home defense. And a neck knife when you have to go out.
So much depends on how the opponent presents. If he's got a guarded mask and is bulked up, mad and has a weapon. Well, good luck with that.
Tactical axe/tomohawk is very good, but you really have to know how to manuever these things like a whip.

With close quarter and close weapons, body movement is something that takes many many years to get proficient. Even then, there are unintended consequences.
Many times a weapon just makes people really clumsy and miss openings.
Your wits are your best chance.
Such as you drop your elbows (very relaxed) and put your hands blocking your face in a "please don't hurt me" shape. It's actually a superb coiled shape to strike from a when they close the gap. Good position to deploy a neck knife, for example. But again, if they are bulked up; you're knife is meaningless and will make them more vigilant with you. But it's a good (krav maga) position to draw them in so you can disarm them.
You are almost always better off tricking them into thinking you are harmless. De-escalate and retreat.
No conflict is certainly the goal. Violence is horrible for you in every way. You may have to do it, but it definitely sucks.

You can create a safe room in your house. (look it up)

Most people are not trained. Even the so-called trained ones have lousy body movement. They are shown a few IDF moves and they are rough and willful but are blunt instruments. I think an air rifle looks super scary.

I don't know much about guns. I did to bar 4 riflery as a kid, but I don't remember anything.

Last edited:

Jib

@Regina

Hatsan Invader PCP Semi-Auto 22 Cal Pellet Air Rifle

That looks decently scary. I think even with an air gun, most people are gonna be uncomfortable standing on the receiving end of that.

However, I live near an area with pretty high crime, and a lot of people own guns. The only reason I don't is because I feel like owning a gun would make me more paranoid, and no one in my immediate family has ever owned a gun. I've never held one or fired one. Just not something I'm used to. Owning a gun is a big deal and I think it's a pretty big hurdle to get over for a lot of people.

Still, if I was facing someone like you describe, my number 1 choice would be a shotgun. There is just no question with that. The sound that racking a shotgun makes is also pretty universally recognizable and that alone may be enough to deter someone. Unless someone is on a serious cocktail of drugs, they're gonna understand that being on the receiving end of a shotgun is a death sentence. You'd have to be seriously crazy to try rushing someone threatening you with a shotgun.

Although it has happened. I'm reminded of footage of a store robbery with a shotgun. The guy was afraid to actually pull the trigger and someone just walked up, knocked the barrel out of the way and beat the crap out of the guy.

So I definitely agree about it being about wits. Body movement is important. Quick reflexes are extremely important.

Personally I just never hope I'm in a situation like this. Bear spray is a very good idea. Non-lethal incapacitation, e.g. pepper spray, tasers, and I'd include temporary blinding with a flashlight on that list.

The options are basically:

1) firearm
2) everything else

Then you have the question of whether it's a single person or a group, are they armed and what are they armed with. I think the hardest thing to accept is that sometimes you're simply screwed. Even if you have something like a shotgun, if a group of people decide they want to kill you, there's probably not much you're going to be able to do about it. One on one is a different story. But I think we all are susceptible to wanting to think we're more in control or invincible than we really are.

I'm really on the fence about getting a firearm. Things have been getting a bit more crazy lately as well. But it's just something I have a hard time even imagining myself doing. I think guns are a lot more off-putting for some people than others. Some people just seem to be gung-ho about it and have no problem owning lots of guns. Other people like me are a lot more nervous and apprehensive about it.

Nonviolence is probably an option more often than people think it is. If you end up getting killed in the middle of trying to talk someone down, or de-escalate the situation. Well. Who's to say you wouldn't have died anyway trying to defend yourself. You just never know with these things.

Very interesting about the safe room, will have to look into that.

Back to food? Well. I just got a shipment of whey protein in today, and am very happy with it. Super convenient complete protein is very important to have in storage. This stuff came in individually sealed plastic bags so it doesn't even need to be stored in gamma seal buckets, and it looks like the shelf life is at least a couple years. Very good stuff.

Regina

@Regina

Hatsan Invader PCP Semi-Auto 22 Cal Pellet Air Rifle

That looks decently scary. I think even with an air gun, most people are gonna be uncomfortable standing on the receiving end of that.

However, I live near an area with pretty high crime, and a lot of people own guns. The only reason I don't is because I feel like owning a gun would make me more paranoid, and no one in my immediate family has ever owned a gun. I've never held one or fired one. Just not something I'm used to. Owning a gun is a big deal and I think it's a pretty big hurdle to get over for a lot of people.

Still, if I was facing someone like you describe, my number 1 choice would be a shotgun. There is just no question with that. The sound that racking a shotgun makes is also pretty universally recognizable and that alone may be enough to deter someone. Unless someone is on a serious cocktail of drugs, they're gonna understand that being on the receiving end of a shotgun is a death sentence. You'd have to be seriously crazy to try rushing someone threatening you with a shotgun.

Although it has happened. I'm reminded of footage of a store robbery with a shotgun. The guy was afraid to actually pull the trigger and someone just walked up, knocked the barrel out of the way and beat the crap out of the guy.

So I definitely agree about it being about wits. Body movement is important. Quick reflexes are extremely important.

Personally I just never hope I'm in a situation like this. Bear spray is a very good idea. Non-lethal incapacitation, e.g. pepper spray, tasers, and I'd include temporary blinding with a flashlight on that list.

The options are basically:

1) firearm
2) everything else

Then you have the question of whether it's a single person or a group, are they armed and what are they armed with. I think the hardest thing to accept is that sometimes you're simply screwed. Even if you have something like a shotgun, if a group of people decide they want to kill you, there's probably not much you're going to be able to do about it. One on one is a different story. But I think we all are susceptible to wanting to think we're more in control or invincible than we really are.

I'm really on the fence about getting a firearm. Things have been getting a bit more crazy lately as well. But it's just something I have a hard time even imagining myself doing. I think guns are a lot more off-putting for some people than others. Some people just seem to be gung-ho about it and have no problem owning lots of guns. Other people like me are a lot more nervous and apprehensive about it.

Nonviolence is probably an option more often than people think it is. If you end up getting killed in the middle of trying to talk someone down, or de-escalate the situation. Well. Who's to say you wouldn't have died anyway trying to defend yourself. You just never know with these things.

Very interesting about the safe room, will have to look into that.

Back to food? Well. I just got a shipment of whey protein in today, and am very happy with it. Super convenient complete protein is very important to have in storage. This stuff came in individually sealed plastic bags so it doesn't even need to be stored in gamma seal buckets, and it looks like the shelf life is at least a couple years. Very good stuff.
Good stuff Jib.
"I've never held one or fired one." That will be very obvious to someone who has.
But I hear you. I loathe guns and share your apprehension.

When I learned riflery and archery as a kid, it was in the most pleasant environment. I don't think any of us had the faintest notion of violence. It was just something kids learned at this ranch. How to drive different vehicles, handle rifles and bows, ride (and handle) horses.... , how to 'listen' to your environment. Is it going to rain? snow? Is someone in trouble.

If you buy a weapon like a badass-looking air rifle, walk around with it a lot. Go up n down stairs. Do chores with it. Weapons (tools too) only work when they are an extension of yourself. That visual of someone who is comfortable with a rifle will be very scary to a predator.
You'd get better than those crisis actors that are so obvious once you see the play.gggg
I would trust your apprehension. Until you are VERY very comfortable with a weapon, it is not something to brandish.

I certainly want out of the city. And be back on a ranch.
I'm trying. But I am not young anymore.

Yeah, I gotta get some more freezer bags.

schultz

Now I'll repeat the cycle. I feel less stupid realizing that I didn't buy anything that I wouldn't normally and eventually consume anyway

It's sort of funny but I do the same thing. I won't buy lots of one item at the store even if it makes financial sense because I feel like I am overspending. But then the next week I buy the same item but it's twice as much. Pretty stupid. But recently I got a vacuum sealer which is amazing to have and now when I see something on sale like striploin roast I will buy a bunch of them and then cut them to my desired thickness and pack them away. I have multiple freezers so why not?

If anyone tries to steal my granola I'll fight them to the death over it in an honorable duel.

Haha, that's funny.

Some people just seem to be gung-ho about it and have no problem owning lots of guns. Other people like me are a lot more nervous and apprehensive about it.

Yah my neighbour has like 20 guns and he randomly shoots things outside. Occasionally I see a seagull fall out of the sky or something. The only thing I have close to a firearm is a captive bolt gun for incapacitating livestock. I'm really just too lazy to get my license. If I did I would buy an old 1870's or so magnum. Though I think legally I can buy an antique gun in Canada without a license, but I can't buy ammo.

Energizer

What the hell are you talking about, marxism is not taught in school, marxist and communists were purged out of the universties and still are. The Gulag Archipelago was an invention from western intelligence services. Now that zionist took over Russia, they're gonna continue inventing things until even Russians demonize Stalin(most realize now the fall of the USSR was a mistake). You want proof that the numbers in the Gular Archipelago were invented then read Getty et al's 1993 Victims of the Soviet Penal System in the Pre-war Years

I'm very well learned but trust me, it was not from American educational systems lol

Sad to say I think we might be the minority on this forum (although I have seen a few others with similar views on here fortunately), a lot of people on here seem to get their philosophy "education" from Jordan Peterson and don't really seem to read much. It seems like their exposure to Russia online is often through Jordan Peterson's recommendation to read Solzhenitsyn because he aligns with their reactionary views: In Defense of Communism: Solzhenitsyn- The rotten legacy of a Fascist.

People's gut reaction when they hear about communism is often like a visceral disgust, because the anti-Communism brainwashing in the West is thorough from birth. So convincing is the campaign against communism that the general public in the US largely seems to hate all the famous or perhaps infamous communist leaders and regard them as being worse than even Hitler. I won't argue they were perfect angels either, but it's obvious even as a Westerner to see a lot of the myths about many of the political leaders in Marxist-Leninist inspired movements or Maoism. It seems plain as day to me how these leaders were unfairly vilified so it's difficult to understand what their real role is unless a person actively tries to look for history from the inside told by people who actually lived in these eras and weren't Western-sympathizing counter-revolutionaries like Solzhenitsyn. It's convenient when Peterson and his ilk paint everyone with the same brush and paint identity politics neo-liberals as Marxists calling them "Neo-Marxists" when Marxism has nothing to do with these neo-liberal party-loyalists. The nuances of real history are lost on these kinds of people that relish their ignorance.

The critical discourse often is replaced by muckracking and sensationalism because people who have never lived in the USSR or any communist countries are the ones most easy to brainwash against them and against pro-Communist philosophies. Never mind the widespread propaganda in the West that carefully aligns with that narrative, I suppose, because people would rather look to hate and celebrate their ignorance than understand the real history. Sadly I have to agree it seems a lot of Russians now are being brainwashed en masse against their own best interests by CIA-funded propaganda outlets like Radio Free Europe and other CIA-funded anti-Russian, pro-Capitalist, anti-Communist think tanks and newspaper outlets in Russia. The parasites in the CIA and Washington and as you rightly pointed out Zionist parasites are afraid of communism for so long for good reason: it threatens their hegemony. It threatens the interests of the ruling class to deal with a working class uprising and workers seizing control the means of production. There's a good reason why Ray has said "For a long time I have thought of Russia and the west side of Latin America as the places where civilization would have its best chance to escape." I think you and I know some good reasons why he said that, but a lot of people on this forum who don't understand his politics and don't understand his political influences (Castro, Marx, Kropotkin, Lenin, etc) don't seem to have much of an idea why he would say that. For a fuller version of that quote: RP Email Advice Comment: Political Power And Deception

Now as for the on topic part of my post to answer the OP, trying to grow more of my own food with gardening. Easier said than done I suppose. If I had more land I'd be able to start a small personal farm which is a dream of mine. It's never a bad time to try and remove yourself as much as possible from the system by trying to meet your food and energy needs independently as much as possible if you can gather the resources for it.

Last edited:

Oleg

Amen, I mean current system is not perfect but the fact we are discussing all this nice ideas about nutrition, with such freedom in all aspects, from the ideas and discussion part to the making health decisions to the buying and procuring the stuff we actually eat, speaks volumes. All this things we enjoy right now, we got thanks to capitalism. If you want to read a bit more of how the Marxist project and similar like that are actually, I recommend reading Science, Politics and Gnosticism by Eric Voegelin. Pretty short and dense book which traces the origins of a lot of modern political and thought currents such as Marxism (among others) to have its origin in Gnosticism (as in 1st Century Judeo-Christian Gnosticism). Turns out back then people also thought the physical world (or human nature, or social organization) was fundamentally broken and needed to be completely reset (Divine intervention, revolution, etc...) and then everything would be good (era of free love and eternal happiness for ever and ever). The fundamental flaw is this thought at worst tries to deny reality, at best it tries to change human nature. Foolishness, indeed.

Don't make me laugh, ask any actual Cuban and they would spit on your face. There is a reason Cubans who can leave their country, leave ASAP, never to go back either for USA, Mexico. Same as in Venezuela. Having friends from both countries, they are the most anti Marxist people you will meet. Marxism does not work, not in theory, in practice, and not for a lack of trying. Why do you think Trump won Florida?

Want to have a nice read, read The Road to Serfdom by Hayek, even right after WWII, understood that the means to bring about the goals of Marxism (not even talking about if the end is possible) contains their downfall. Why do you think Hitler rose to power so easily? Power had already been centralized and concentrated in goverment by the Marxists before him (only way to force people to let go of their property rights). Let's improve the world we have, not destroy it.
Both Cuba and Venezuela are under heavy US sanctions/blockade. US has a military base in East Cuba that Cubans want to see go away. US does everything it can to destroy both countries. I am surprised that they survive let alone prosper, under these conditions!

Oleg

Sad to say I think we might be the minority on this forum (although I have seen a few others with similar views on here fortunately), a lot of people on here seem to get their philosophy "education" from Jordan Peterson and don't really seem to read much. It seems like their exposure to Russia online is often through Jordan Peterson's recommendation to read Solzhenitsyn because he aligns with their reactionary views: In Defense of Communism: Solzhenitsyn- The rotten legacy of a Fascist.

People's gut reaction when they hear about communism is often like a visceral disgust, because the anti-Communism brainwashing in the West is thorough from birth. So convincing is the campaign against communism that the general public in the US largely seems to hate all the famous or perhaps infamous communist leaders and regard them as being worse than even Hitler. I won't argue they were perfect angels either, but it's obvious even as a Westerner to see a lot of the myths about many of the political leaders in Marxist-Leninist inspired movements or Maoism. It seems plain as day to me how these leaders were unfairly vilified so it's difficult to understand what their real role is unless a person actively tries to look for history from the inside told by people who actually lived in these eras and weren't Western-sympathizing counter-revolutionaries like Solzhenitsyn. It's convenient when Peterson and his ilk paint everyone with the same brush and paint identity politics neo-liberals as Marxists calling them "Neo-Marxists" when Marxism has nothing to do with these neo-liberal party-loyalists. The nuances of real history are lost on these kinds of people that relish their ignorance.

The critical discourse often is replaced by muckracking and sensationalism because people who have never lived in the USSR or any communist countries are the ones most easy to brainwash against them and against pro-Communist philosophies. Never mind the widespread propaganda in the West that carefully aligns with that narrative, I suppose, because people would rather look to hate and celebrate their ignorance than understand the real history. Sadly I have to agree it seems a lot of Russians now are being brainwashed en masse against their own best interests by CIA-funded propaganda outlets like Radio Free Europe and other CIA-funded anti-Russian, pro-Capitalist, anti-Communist think tanks and newspaper outlets in Russia. The parasites in the CIA and Washington and as you rightly pointed out Zionist parasites are afraid of communism for so long for good reason: it threatens their hegemony. It threatens the interests of the ruling class to deal with a working class uprising and workers seizing control the means of production. There's a good reason why Ray has said "For a long time I have thought of Russia and the west side of Latin America as the places where civilization would have its best chance to escape." I think you and I know some good reasons why he said that, but a lot of people on this forum who don't understand his politics and don't understand his political influences (Castro, Marx, Kropotkin, Lenin, etc) don't seem to have much of an idea why he would say that. For a fuller version of that quote: RP Email Advice Comment: Political Power And Deception

Now as for the on topic part of my post to answer the OP, trying to grow more of my own food with gardening. Easier said than done I suppose. If I had more land I'd be able to start a small personal farm which is a dream of mine. It's never a bad time to try and remove yourself as much as possible from the system by trying to meet your food and energy needs independently as much as possible if you can gather the resources for it.
Impressed with your comment. Unfortunately there are too much ignorance which leads to arrogance. Btw, I have close to an acre of land, but not quite sure what to grow to optimize the use of land. One idea would be mushrooms. Especially boletes. Very tasty.

Oleg

My grandfather was in a Soviet Gulag. My father was tortured for fourteen months in a Soviet prison when he was a teenager. My mother lived through the Holodomor. Reading this post breaks my heart. Read Solzhenitsyn.
You sound like a Ukrainian “nazik”. Btw, none of my relatives had these experiences, going back to grand parents. I was born in the USSR in 1960’s. I can say a lot about Solzhenitsyn, but It’s better to read or listen to people who new him personality, to understand what kind of person he was.

YSLattB

Yooo there's really famine coming after the pandemic? How and Why?Aight I guess it's time to stock up sum food tho

Energizer

Impressed with your comment. Unfortunately there are too much ignorance which leads to arrogance. Btw, I have close to an acre of land, but not quite sure what to grow to optimize the use of land. One idea would be mushrooms. Especially boletes. Very tasty.

Thanks, I agree. Mushrooms, why not, that's a good idea. I just have a small garden for some veggies -- squash, tomatoes. Don't really know honestly, I am a newbie at gardening.

Last edited:

BingDing

My plan is to car camp near the dairy that supplies raw milk to eastern TN, and barter labor for food. Though if the distribution channels close up they will be pouring milk into the ground. My backup plan is to just give up, modern life depends on so many different supply channels that it can't be sustained independently.

My plan is to car camp near the dairy that supplies raw milk to eastern TN, and barter labor for food. Though if the distribution channels close up they will be pouring milk into the ground. My backup plan is to just give up, modern life depends on so many different supply channels that it can't be sustained independently.

Interesting strategy. You could live almost entirely off of milk. It reminds me of when Ray talks about the orange-picker who lived to be very old.

I think what we are seeing is a strategy of tension. The false pandemic and race riots are obvious, but the weather is another element that I don't see anybody discuss.

After the freak "hurricane" in Iowa, they lost almost half their corn crop and other crops were damaged, too. People think that's fine, "I don't eat corn and I only eat grass fed beef". Well, a huge decrease in the supply of one food will strain the supply of another food. People still have the same calorie needs. In ages past, a bad crop meant you slaughtered more animals that year: the meat makes up the calorie deficit and now you don't have to feed the animals that are killed. However, there was news earlier this year about closing meat processing plants and I don't know where we are now concerning that.

We've had tremendous wildfires this year in the Western US. There's lots of speculation that they're intentional -- that the lone actors are alone only in their individual act. Certain people profit from chaos. Moreover, the smoke from the wildfires is polluting the air. Expect to see people connect this to an increase in virus cases, as was done in the beginning (in Lombardi and Wuhan).

There will be no famine and no martial law. Perhaps there will be a slight uptick in deaths -- though I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite happened, too. The overall health and wealth of the people will be less. We are passing over another tooth in the ratcheting mechanism of the control grid. Thus the pressure is on now, but it will abate once everything is locked in. The band will slacken as it weakens. Or, if you like: two steps forward, one step back.

The people orchestrating this are not simpletons and their plans are not so simple as to be actualized in the span of two years. Someone like Mike Adams who thinks that they need to prepare for a SHTF event/economic apocalypse/famine is someone who thinks they are running a single 60m race when the real event is a "beep test" (or "multi-stage shuttle run") for 20 minutes.

They think they need to hunker down for maybe two years, and then they'll be in the clear. They just need to tense up and harden against one event and then they'll be fine. It might seem like they have pessimism, but really what they have is the optimism of fools: they cannot comprehend a more expansive, more elaborate, more sophisticated terror.

You have to be a little more strategic when doing a beep test. If you start out sprinting, you will get winded quickly -- for no reason. The best strategy is to run at a comfortable pace and only increase your speed when it's necessary.

The ratcheting and gradual tightening not only serves the super-elites in their aim of depopulation, but also their ideology of social darwinism. The health and the wealth of most individuals in the population are less now. People are getting "bumped off of the wagon". In the beep test, the interval you are given to complete each run is shortened as the test progresses. Less people are capable of making it as the test progresses. In every round of musical chairs, a chair is taken away.

Sidenote: For many, the internal logic of prepper/survivalist "compound scenarios" is built on zombie/pandemic movies. In America, I think these compound scenarios started to drive the imaginations and actions of many in the 1990s when there was a rise in "right wing militias". However, I see the cults and communes of previous decades as spiritual predecessors. All of them come from the millenarian thread. (Oh wait, there were nuclear bunkers in the cold war era, as well. So that is yet another manifestation of millenialism.)

Geronimo

Chilled tallow, milk powder and a good vegan + collagen protein replacement powder for vitamins. Znaturalfoods.com is a good source. But yeah, what the previous poster said is spot on. We've already taken the two steps ahead. We've weathered it. The step back will feel like a monumental relief and will constitute our new normal. It will be significantly worse than 2 years ago, but it will be better than now.

lvysaur

I really can't believe there's anybody advising against a gun.

Guns and ahem other arms are the only defense against right-wing death squads, "no knock" raids, and rioters with misplaced frustrations from the cities.
But dismiss anyone who attacks a philosophy like marxism-leninism without attacking any of it's actual philosophy, instead, they straw man them and invent horrible events of the USSR or only focus on the bad. The reality is that modern day Ukraine, Russia, etc, are ran by zionists and are capitalist shitholes and getting worst by the day.

It's funny how Russian life expectancy fell by 7 years after 1991, but somehow everyone wants to pretend they were starving before that. Western propaganda never fails.

Russian_male_and_female_life_expectancy.PNG

Last edited:

michael94

Maybe simple calcium hydroxide would be enough to get through a situation where other crops are limited. The United States has a huge supply of corn especially if a situation arises where slaughterhouses are shut down. Or if you only had access to other unmilled grains then nixtamalizing would be very useful as well. It is obviously a lot simpler to keep calcium hydroxide or lye in storage than bags and bags of food, but of course you still need access to the grain

Nixtamalization is not just for corn! (cooking forum at permies)

Regina

Mushrooms and potatoes. It would be nice if you could grow a citrus tree too. I have friends in Chicago who grow citrus in their apartments. So, I guess it is possible even if you are in a very cold climate.
I grew mushrooms in my tiny NYC apt back in the early 90's.
Clean water is something for your attention.
And then search out local growers and meet them in person.

Mushrooms and potatoes. It would be nice if you could grow a citrus tree too. I have friends in Chicago who grow citrus in their apartments. So, I guess it is possible even if you are in a very cold climate.
I grew mushrooms in my tiny NYC apt back in the early 90's.
Clean water is something for your attention.
And then search out local growers and meet them in person.

Right. It's probably good to keep at least few 5 gallon sealed water jugs around. I buy spring water at Whole Foods with my credit card. They refund half the cost when you return the bottle, but in cash. So it's one way to get a few extra points on your rewards CC since you still get points for the whole purchase (it's not very much I must admit).

The indoor citrus is a good idea.

Dmitry Orlov wrote an excellent book called"Reinventing Collapse". It has observations and analysis of the post-Soviet collapse. Since it's based on analysis of a real event, it's the most accurate depiction of a collapse scenario in America and not biased speculation like all the other collapsnik literature. America would fare worse than Soviet Russia because of a lack of social safety nets, reliance on JIT supply chains, paycheck to paycheck living and low levels of true home ownership, cities built for cars, no gardens and other skills for food procurement, etc.

meatbag

Yeah, I've read him. He is pretty clear about Marxism being real economics, it's where you start if you want to learn real economics, he says the economic departments in most of the universities in the US were taken over by the banks who don't want people learning Marxism for fear of repercussions for themselves, specially the ivy leagues or most prestigious universities. He's good because he's not too radical and the American people are too brainwashed for truly radical ideas so it's best to start with someone simple like him. But I'm Mexican and read a lot of Latin American economists, they're not as brainwashed as Americans fortunately but unfortunately not as good as the Russians whom I cannot read because I don't speak Russian.
Do you have a favorite Latin American economist you'd recommend?