What Are Triglycerides?

StrongMom

Can someone clarify what they really are? How are they linked to fatty acids? What is Ray Peat's view on that? There are a lot of discussions on cholesterol but I couldn't find anything explaining triglycerides.

Also, most of the discussion in the forum is about high triglycerides. I have low triglycerides in my life except when I was breastfeeding. I am trying to understand if low is good or bad and also why it rose when I was breastfeeding.

I am hypothyroid and my body is relying on cortisol. Is it possible that hypo people relying more on adrenaline have higher triglycerides?

Thanks

they are a soluble form of fat. Free fatty acids + glycerol basically. The glycerol can be stripped away in the cell. Free fatty acids are released when the body needs FAST immediate energy stored in fat cells. Triglycerides are the more normal way the body moves fat when it has time and no stress.

High triglycerides can result from a bunch of things including high sugar intake. It isn't necessarily a bad thing.

OP
S

StrongMom

they are a soluble form of fat. Free fatty acids + glycerol basically. The glycerol can be stripped away in the cell. Free fatty acids are released when the body needs FAST immediate energy stored in fat cells. Triglycerides are the more normal way the body moves fat when it has time and no stress.

High triglycerides can result from a bunch of things including high sugar intake. It isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Thanks ecstatichampster. So, when the body needs immediate energy (I guess by producing adrenalin), can triglycerides be utilized as well? I am trying to understand if low level of triglycerides have anything to do with my high level of stress hormones?

tallglass13

Ok...can someone answer this question please, "are triglycerides the same thing as free fatty acids?" If not, how do we measure FFAs?

free fatty acids are just fats. Triglycerides are a more soluble form that is used when the body has time to transport fats in the blood.

tallglass13

Ok thanks for that...so, if someone has low triglycerides, would that mean they have low free fatty acids and low stress or fatty acid mobilization

ddjd

why does ingesting sugar increase triglycerides then?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals