What Are The Most Important Blood Tests?

Peata

I'm thinking of getting an appointment with my doctor to get my thyroid tested. I think I'm doing as well as I can with diet, but want to make sure there's not an actual problem that should be treated with medication. And if there is a problem, that will be a whole other issue on how to treat it and with what. Anway...

I copied down items from other threads that people recommend getting tested. I probably can't afford to get the whole list done.

Which of these should I be sure to get?

And are there any I haven't listed?

Also, would it be a good idea to get hormones like estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, etc. checked?

Prolactin
Parathyroid
TSH
Whole blood serotonin
CO2
Lactic Acid
Free fatty acids (NEFA)
Vit D
Histamine
Albumin
Total Cholesterol
C-Reactive Protein (inflammation marker)
Sodium
Magnesium
Calcium
Potassium
Glucose
Phosphate

Bingo

I am totally new here and having some problems I think testing might help with. So sorry if this post is in the wrong spot. just tell me and I'll post somewhere else. Thanks in advance for your kindness.

I have thyroid nodules and tried Nutri-Pak NDT but surprise it made the nodules flare up instead of shrink! Am thinking maybe autoimmune reaction? The diet (milk, oj, fruit, and eggs daily, liver, oysters weekly) seems to help although gaining a bit of weight which is no big deal. I am 42yo woman, otherwise healthy. Only other concern is low cholesterol 106 mg/dL. Morning temps are low and I am always cold so pretty sure hypothyroid.

My doc ordered thyroid tests without T3, which I later discovered didn't tell me much. I want to repeat the testing with TSH, T4, T3, and Free T4. Also including estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and dhea. My doc (same fellow that ordered thyroid testing without T3) is telling me anytime mid cycle is a good day for the progesterone test. Some of the saliva test companies recommend cycle day 21. (These will be blood tests that I am having done.) I don't want to waste another test opportunity so was wondering what to do. Anybody know when to test progesterone levels?

Any other ideas? Seems I am clearly missing something so input is welcome. Thanks.

aguilaroja

Peata said:
I'm thinking of getting an appointment with my doctor to get my thyroid tested. I think I'm doing as well as I can with diet, but want to make sure there's not an actual problem that should be treated with medication. And if there is a problem, that will be a whole other issue on how to treat it and with what. Anway...

I copied down items from other threads that people recommend getting tested. I probably can't afford to get the whole list done.

Which of these should I be sure to get?

And are there any I haven't listed?

Also, would it be a good idea to get hormones like estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, etc. checked?

Prolactin
Parathyroid
TSH
Whole blood serotonin
CO2
Lactic Acid
Free fatty acids (NEFA)
Vit D
Histamine
Albumin
Total Cholesterol
C-Reactive Protein (inflammation marker)
Sodium
Magnesium
Calcium
Potassium
Glucose
Phosphate

Peata,

Are you paying out of pocket for lab tests? If so, you might think about checking the costs for individual (& group) tests so you can prioritize to do "value" shopping. Some of the "specialized" tests will be more expensive.

Some of the prioritizing may relate to what, if any, symptoms are at the forefront. If there has been no testing for sluggish metabolism ever or in years, it would be useful to know if the TSH is high. For instance, if GYN/menstral/menopause issues are prominent, estrogen and other hormone levels may provide a clue of the extent of things.

It's probably understood by most readers here that serum tests are (only) one factor in decision making about treatment, whether through Peat "lifestyle" or otherwise. Even in usual doctor visits, lab testing is guided by the recent health issues.

Mittir

Bingo said:
I have thyroid nodules and tried Nutri-Pak NDT but surprise it made the nodules flare up instead of shrink! Am thinking maybe autoimmune reaction? The diet (milk, oj, fruit, and eggs daily, liver, oysters weekly) seems to help although gaining a bit of weight which is no big deal. I am 42yo woman, otherwise healthy. Only other concern is low cholesterol 106 mg/dL. Morning temps are low and I am always cold so pretty sure hypothyroid.

Your total cholesterol is very low. RP mentioned that one should not start thyroid
supplement without having adequate cholesterol,as thyroid increases conversion of
cholesterol to progesterone, pregnenolone, DHEA . This will further lower
cholesterol and he thinks low cholesterol causes lots of health issues.
Also, having low cholesterol means thyroid will not be able to make enough
anti stress hormones. In one audio interview he
mentioned that one should have at least 160 cholesterol before starting thyroid supplement.
American heart association used to define Hypocholesterolemia as total cholesterol
level below 160. He mentioned that low thyroid and high starch consumption
can cause Hypocholesterolemia. Hyperthyroid state also lowers cholesterol by
converting most of it to protective hormones. It is important to know
if hypothyroid or hyperthyroid is causing low cholesterol.
Most hypothyroid people go through a short phase of hyper state
when thyroid gland unload accumulated thyroid hormone.
Liver health plays an important role in making cholesterol.
RP recommends OJ and sugar to increase cholesterol ,
and OJ should have increased your cholesterol.
I do not know if you measured your cholesterol before or after starting
milk and OJ diet. RP thinks most dessicated thyroid products do not maintain
good quality and he recommends cynoplus and cynomel.
He does not recommend Free T3 or Free T4 tests, it's TSH, total T4 and Total T3,
if possible reverse T3.
Regular raw carrot salad helps a lot with lowering estrogen and increasing thyroid.

Bingo

I had just started the diet when the test was taken. I am hoping the protein and sugar in the diet will bring my cholesterol up. It seems to be low for my whole family so not sure it will ever be 160 but with good diet maybe. I eat a raw carrot each day. Don't eat much starch as I can't have gluten. I eat popcorn popped in coconut oil occasionally and rarely potatoes. Any ideas about timing of progesterone test?

Mittir

Bingo said:
Any ideas about timing of progesterone test?

I do now know the exact answer. Once i asked him about a study showing caffeine increasing estrogen.That study showed caffeine intake increases early follicular phase E2 level.
In response RP sent me a study that showed estradiol level is decreased with caffeine intake
in luteal phase.

Here is a RP quote on estrogen and progesterone

Ray Peat said:
For example, the follicular phase is a time of low steroid production by the ovary, until near the end of the phase, just before ovulation, when estrogen rises. The luteal phase is a time of high estrogen and high progesterone synthesis. Many publications describe the follicular phase as a time of high estrogen, and the luteal phase as a time of low estrogen, roughly the opposite of the actual situation. http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/aging ... rone.shtml
It looks like your doctor is probably right about the timing of progesterone test.
I hope someone in the forum can provide you with more definitive answer.

He also mentioned that one can have normal level of blood estrogen and
high level of tissue estrogen. Blood test of estrogen is not always helpful.

Waynish

I feel like this should be a more popular thread. The main thing this community seems to be interested in is tracking the real indicators of disease and seeing them change - since they're supposedly causal.

ddjd

Would these tests alone tell you enough about your health?

Prolactin
TSH
C reactive protein
iron markers
Cholesterol panel