What Are The Most Gelatinous Cuts Of Beef And Lamb?

Runenight201

I had tendons mixed with filet in Pho and it was surprisingly tasty, especially mixed with the broth, condiments, salt and noodles. I also felt very good after eating the meal, relaxed, and satiated. Drank some coffee upon returning to work and had steady energy for the next couple hours, very pleasant experience.

I'm about to go buy raw tendons from an Asian market. They cost 5.99 a lb, and so as far as I know, is the cheapest way to obtain glycine and proline, definitely far cheaper than great lakes, not too mention they're actually pretty good in a Pho.

My plan is to start making this tendon stew with collard greens + cilantro + parsley + green onions broth for added minerals (calcium, magensium) + plenty of salt + rice noodles for some straight glucose and I think I may have found my own "superfood" ;)

RayPeatFan777

Oyster blade beef!
Thats a more affordable cut too.
How are you cooking it? Just wondering (and hoping) if simply frying it would 'release' enough collagen. Not sure how it really works.
Maybe these steak cuts I can buy have had the collagen part cut off.

upload_2018-9-26_10-24-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-26_10-24-44.png
    upload_2018-9-26_10-24-44.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

salotz

Pig trotters are by far the most gelatinous I've had yet, almost to the point of being too much. You really have to know how to cook them well or it's a little too rich in mouth feel, I would look to chinese recipes for it. Chicken feet are also almost entirely collagen, these are more palatable, but again proper cooking technique is needed. I've also seen pork skin sold on its own in asian markets for gelatin purposes but haven't tried.

I think ribs are also fairly collagenous and particular if you would make soup with them (again a popular chinese dish with pork ribs).

Great suggestions in this thread, I've really come to enjoy both shank and ox tail quite a lot because they give you that perfect mix of meat, gelatin, and fat tastes. The chinese cuisine recipe for "Flavor Pot" beef shank is particularly delicious and very tender.

pro marker

i buy oxtails because they are cheap. then i cut of all the fat and throw it away, cut of all the lean meat and eat that, and put the bone with all the tissue left in a pot and i boil it for 1-2 hours. then i knaw the softened geationous tissue off the bones untill they are completely clean. feels great, exercises my jaw and keeps my teeth clean. the soup thats left i either drink or refrigerate, the next day is a gelatinous broth thick like jelly. its so thick i can cut it into cubes. just remember to salt it extra before putting it in the fridge, that way it will last about a week. ive eaten it plenty of times after its gone bad, other than the not so pleasant taste its all good.

pro marker

is there any issue with eating tendons and other gelatinous tissue raw or under cooked? i like it really chewy, but i wonder if it may be more easily absorbed after its been cooked a while. i actually use raw tendons as chewing gum because my diet is so soft.

lvysaur

feet > oxtail > shank > chuck > sirloin/round