What Are The Benefits Of Milk Besides Calcium.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The casein and lactose are anti-stress. The casein is a good source of protein and the lactose is a good source of carbohydrate. It also has some minerals.

OP
O

orangedonkey

Thanks for answers. I got another question though. Does it matter if milk is grassfed or not? What should I look for when searching for milk. I've already read that you gotta test out different brands to see which works best but Is there anything else I need to look for?

pboy

personally I say only the best...the best effort at treating the cows in the best way possible...as per Peat and most people here, they probly say it doesn't matter, strictly chemically speaking. Grainfed might have a little more pufa

Sheik

"A protein deficiency is a clear cause of osteoporosis, and bone density corresponds to the amount of protein consumed. Milk protein, especially, protects against osteoporosis, independently of milk’s other important nutrients." -Ray Peat

I just happened to read that earlier today.

Nicholas

orangedonkey said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96804/ Thanks for answers. I got another question though. Does it matter if milk is grassfed or not? What should I look for when searching for milk. I've already read that you gotta test out different brands to see which works best but Is there anything else I need to look for?

homogenization is likely more unnatural than pasteurization. i agree with pboy about the milk that treats the cows the best - this will also likely produce better hormone levels/balance in the milk. the past 2 weeks i've done non-homogenized low-heat milk whereas i previously did raw. so far i haven't had any issues....maybe a little less of an energy kick than the raw....and certainly cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

Grass-fed organic milk is probably a better if you have access to it. But according to Peat any milk that agrees with you is probably better than no milk (unless you are allergic etc). Some people say they do better with raw milk, some with pasteurised, some with ultrapasteurised. If you are getting plenty of calories from other food and you are drinking lots of milk (eg 2l+) to meet a lot of your protein and calcium needs etc, then Peat would probably recommend 1% fat. If you are having trouble getting enough calories, then whole milk may be better. If you are only drinking a little milk, just choose whatever tastes best to you.

montmorency

Nicholas said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96812/
orangedonkey said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96804/ Thanks for answers. I got another question though. Does it matter if milk is grassfed or not? What should I look for when searching for milk. I've already read that you gotta test out different brands to see which works best but Is there anything else I need to look for?

homogenization is likely more unnatural than pasteurization. i agree with pboy about the milk that treats the cows the best - this will also likely produce better hormone levels/balance in the milk. the past 2 weeks i've done non-homogenized low-heat milk whereas i previously did raw. so far i haven't had any issues....maybe a little less of an energy kick than the raw....and certainly cheaper.

I can't get raw milk here (well, not without a great deal of trouble and expense), but I can get un-homogenised milk fairly easily. However, only as full milk (and some of it is Jersey - even more fat, but it has more chance of being A2). I personally prefer to drink whole, un-homogenised milk, since it is the nearest I can easily get to the "natural" product, although not as natural as un-pasteurised, un-homogenised milk. However, I don't drink milk in Peat-style quantities; only in coffee (and until recently, in tea - stopped drinking tea, at least for now, to eliminate the fluoride risk).
Fortunately, UK milk is reasonably likely to be grass-fed, at least outside of winter.

Another factor of milk is that it is likely to be a source of iodine (see other threads). Whether you consider this to be an advantage or not depends on your view of iodine, and what other sources you may or may not have access to.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
O

orangedonkey

I bought the a2 milk brand skim version yesterday http://a2milk.com/, drank 2 cups of it with 6tbsp of sugar and coffee to see if i get any stomach aches. 3 hours passed and I had no problems so I just drank the rest of it with and had 0 problems. :D. It was a half gallon. I was a vegan for 3 years 80/10/10 style before this so I thought my belly was gonna hurt, I drank some cheap kirkland brand milk a week ago to test it out and had really bad stomach pain.

Got another question, Should I just stick to skim milk and get the majority of my daily fat from coconut oil? Is coconut oil fat better than milk fat?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals