What Are Some Things That Peat Advocates, But You Disagree With?

Dopamine

Sucrose is as good at restoring muscle glycogen stores (or even better) as is glucose. Insulin does seem to have a permissive role, but not a regulative one.

Post-Exercise Muscle Glycogen Synthesis

"the plasma insulin level does not correlate with the rate of post-exercise muscle glycogen synthesis"

Ok that makes sense.

L

lollipop

Your post reminded me of this quote,
"The attempt to steer a person can make it hard for them to move, because it inactivates their own guidance system." -Ray Peat
WoW...great quote @Blossom! Do I ever need a constant reminder of this?!?!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
WoW...great quote @Blossom! Do I ever need a constant reminder of this?!?!
Oh, I'm glad you liked it! I remembered reading it from another forum member who used it in her signature. I thought it was good in this context because you don't see Peat arguing with others he just simply presents his ideas/findings and people are free to do what feels right for their own situation. It's a beautiful thing.

L

lollipop

Oh, I'm glad you liked it! I remembered reading it from another forum member who used it in her signature. I thought it was good in this context because you don't see Peat arguing with others he just simply presents his ideas/findings and people are free to do what feels right for their own situation. It's a beautiful thing.
Truly is. Beautiful AND mature.

DaveFoster

It's harder to be wrong when you're conservative and hollistic like Peat; this usually covers your bases.

I find his liberality concerning aspirin can be harmful for some; there needs to be adequate K2, lower amounts of H. pylori, glycine/collagen, and a gradual titration of the dose to avoid an ulcer.

Drareg

You can email Peat opposing views,if they are presented correctly he will address them, I don't see much significance to live debate V article response other than that article response is generally more coherent in narrative.

His articles on his website tend to answer many questions if you go into the research he cites,this takes a long time and people don't do it because of that.

I think that ray is wrong about high metabolism necessarily being better, I think hypometabolism can be protective and a secondary rather than primary issue in many health conditions (see robert naviaux's work on dauer for ex).

I think that Ray is right about rarefied mountain air being good but wrong about the reasons. It's not because of the higher CO2 although that could be part of it. Mountains often rise out of the pollution or biotoxins that collect in basins. Not all high altitude places are healthy air and not all low altitude places are unhealthy, but when you explore, going higher in elevation often allows you to escape bad air from surrounding areas, as a relative shift.

I wrote this comment on my thoughts about blindly following peat on another thread:

"
I don't think Ray is right about everything. I find a lot of the forums focused on Ray's work very cult like. He has some interesting perspectives that I value and I think he is largely right about nutrition and also right to critique the low serotonin theory of depression but I also think the idea that hypometabolism is the root of all health issues is very wrong and narrow. Hypometabolism can be a secondary, protective, adaptive issue that occurs because of oxidative stress.

Also even though ray does talk about environment and pollution to an extent, he underrates its importance. Avoiding inhaled biotoxins and pollution did more for my health than avoiding pufas although both are important.

But if you go on any of these forums and say stuff like this they will just try and claim that you didn't do peating correctly, you needed to eat less starches, or more protein, or less protein, or take more thyroid, or more progestE. Even if you tried all of these things to an absurd extent people would rather suggest you did things wrong than admit that Peat could be wrong about something. I don't blame that on Peat but there is a cult like following about his work.

I also think that the people that had the best results with Peating are generally people that did Keto or other extreme diets which caused their health problems, rather than people with more intense underlying diseases not caused by diets. People that crashed their metabolism doing keto or carnivore and then fixed it by eating reasonably a la peats advice , tend to buy into Peatarianism more. And it makes sense that that works for them but I don't think it means that aspirin necessarily cures cancer or anything like that."

I also think Ray cherrypicks studies a lot. He uses many animal studies even though he is critical of them and he often cites obscure soviet studies that you cant find a full text translated of.

I still enjoy reading Peat's articles but now rather than treating them as gospel or as the key to understanding everytghing about physiology I think of them as only part of the puzzle, rather than the whole thing.

Anyway, I will probably get flamed for this, but that is my honest perspective."

Hugh Johnson

Iodine. Peat warns against iodine supplementation, and I am not convinced he is correct about this. I have never seen any studies that would show it to be harmful, while there are tons of anecdotes of it being incredibly helpful. Peat says something about hypothyroidism, but the increase in TSH is temporary. He mentioned something about thyroid cancer in high iodine areas, but I already avoid PUFA, and there are claims that selenium helps with the cancer risk. He also only talks about iodine in the context of thyroid, but it is clear that all cells need it, and it is also clear that iodine is the only practical way of getting rid of the toxic halides stored in the body.

I use iodine, seems to work just fine. Peat is clearly more intelligent and knowledgeable than I am, so I could very well be wrong here.

Antibiotics. I just don't trust them as much as Peat does.

Gut bacteria. Peat has discussed a sterile gut as desirable. I find that strange since I actually live in the world, so having a sterile gut is not realistic. So for me there is good bacteria, and bad bacteria. I think probiotics etc are potentially valuable.

Methylene blue. I've had good experiences in the 10+mg range. Peat has recommended far smaller amounts.

Materialism. Peat considers himself a materialist. I don't think there is a material world.

Ray is wrong about mold not mattering that much. That may have been true in paleolithic times, but mold has become more virulent when affected by industrial pollution and is now quite nasty health wise. He is wrong about it being easy to remediate

I think he may be totally wrong on melatonin. One clue to this is that melatonin levels drop off as we age (along with DHEA, testosterone and thyroid). If you want to read a short book that sees melatonin in a totally different light, read ALZHEIMER'S TREATMENTS THAT ACTUALLY WORKED IN SMALL STUDIES! (BASED ON NEW, CUTTING-EDGE, CORRECT THEORY!) THAT WILL NEVER BE TESTED & YOU WILL NEVER HEAR ABOUT FROM YOUR MD OR BIG PHARMA ! If you are a Kindle Unlimited subscriber it's free (along with his other books).
Interesting

yoshiesque

I still cant get my mind around WHY he supports Trump.

I get it. Trump hates fake news, and sometimes exposes crap like saying covid is overrated. HOWEVER, he does most of this not because he cares about exposing truths, but because it somehow benefits his selfish A**. He is doing what it takes to be re-elected.

All I see in trump is that he is so self centered and narcissistic, that he cant think past himself at all. Meanwhile yes maybe people like Obama/Hilary were all fake and nice but in the background promoting corruption from the medical industries etc. I agree with this. I agree that Trump doesnt care for the corruption, but i dont think he cares about the world or USA. He just wants to look good on TV and needs people to worship him. Its so obvious to see he has a hugely fragile ego. I refuse to believe someone with an ego like that can genuinely care about anything else.

I get it. Trump hates fake news, and sometimes exposes crap like saying covid is overrated. HOWEVER, he does most of this not because he cares about exposing truths, but because it somehow benefits his selfish A**. He is doing what it takes to be re-elected.

All I see in trump is that he is so self centered and narcissistic, that he cant think past himself at all. Meanwhile yes maybe people like Obama/Hilary were all fake and nice but in the background promoting corruption from the medical industries etc. I agree with this. I agree that Trump doesnt care for the corruption, but i dont think he cares about the world or USA. He just wants to look good on TV and needs people to worship him. Its so obvious to see he has a hugely fragile ego. I refuse to believe someone with an ego like that can genuinely care about anything else.

I don't think he does support trump. He just said something vague about trump being a threat to the neoliberal world order, which may have been a reasonable idea when he was elected. I don't think that means ray supports him at all...

Most people don't understand what he advocates because it takes years to reach his level of understanding and it's currently evolving.
People take him out of context continually.

What's good to keep in mind that none of the charlatans who give the illusion of refuting Ray Peat or claiming Ray has a misunderstanding do not take him on with dialogue, they create a straw man on this forum and try to redirect you their blog!
I don't understand how this is functionally different than just saying Peat is never wrong and hes an infallible god like creature

Hugh Johnson

He doesn't support Trump. He just gives the devil his due.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals