What Are Some Things That Peat Advocates, But You Disagree With?

Velve921

I'll tell you everything hes taught me that has been helpful:

Supplements:

NDT
Pregnenolone
DHEA
Progesterone
Aspirin
B3
Epsom Salt Baths
Red Light
Taurine
Cyproheptadine
Benedryl

Foods:

Fruit
Cane sugar
Milk
Ice cream
Salt
Cheese
Gelatin
Liver
Oysters
Eggs
OJ
Carrot
Mushrooms
Bamboo shoots
Coffee
Cascara

Eliminating starch, vegetable oil, and meat have been paramount in health improvement. Once I cut meat back from daily to 1x a week and basically elimated starch I saw dramatic improvement in sleep. Restaurant food cooked in bad oils breaks me down bad.

johnwester130

Avoiding isolated amino acid supplements - peat says they can't be absorbed properly. It's debatable.
Starch - peat says avoid it. Obviously fruit is better, however starch is not as bad as people claim.
Coconut oil - peat says use refined oil. Virgin coconut oil seems fine for most people I know.

paymanz

milk is loaded with phosphorous but ray believes its ok as calcium to P is good in milk , but ingesting that much phosphates is not at least optimal to me.

and also his advise for calcium , i think that too much , more than 2g a day... without balancing it with magnesium.

and in a diet heavy on milk you may eat very low vegetable or other dietary source of manganese for example,and from an email in answer to the question of how get enough manganese he replies: "occasional eggs, liver, oysters, etc., provide enough." i cant agree with this one too.

while i think everyone can mistake , including dr peat , but i will not be surprised if it turn out that he is correct on everything i mentioned above, but right now these are things i cant be agree with him.

sprinter

It don't think Peat eats much starch in his own diet. I've tried starch-free and it always proves problematic for me.

mujuro

All the liquid. I can't tolerate litres of liquid a day in the form of OJ or milk.

dbh25

Most dairy- I've tried different brands of organic whole milk, skim milk and ice cream but I don't digest it well.
I totally agree on avoiding the seed oils.
Orange juice has been a great addition to my diet.

ejalrp

I think he may be totally wrong on melatonin. One clue to this is that melatonin levels drop off as we age (along with DHEA, testosterone and thyroid). If you want to read a short book that sees melatonin in a totally different light, read ALZHEIMER'S TREATMENTS THAT ACTUALLY WORKED IN SMALL STUDIES! (BASED ON NEW, CUTTING-EDGE, CORRECT THEORY!) THAT WILL NEVER BE TESTED & YOU WILL NEVER HEAR ABOUT FROM YOUR MD OR BIG PHARMA ! If you are a Kindle Unlimited subscriber it's free (along with his other books).

Last edited by a moderator:

ballomar

Starch. I find it very hard to hit my calorie targets without eating starch.

DesertRat

I'm skeptical about the sterile gut and the abx, as everytime I take abx I get so much worse, and it takes me months to recover. The limited food protocol on this diet and the absence of probiotics and lactic acid bacteria have reduced the diversity of my gut biome; this concerns me due to the associations being made by biome researchers between healthy people and gut diversity, and between healthy weight and various strains that have significantly diminished in my gut since Peating. One of these days I will probably start taking probiotics again.

Xisca

I think he is right in the theory, but that the practical way of eating are quite narrow and not adapted to all, and are often limited by the avaibility of good quality products. Diet vary according to the place you live! How could people live in places that do not provide tropical fruits? How was it before we extracted sugar in an easy way?
So, he is right, but humans had to adapt to many different places around the blue orange...
Right about animal products and fruits. But I do not agree about eating that much sugar in itself.
I also think that he sees too many hypothyroid persons, but some are not or are hyper.
Some people have problems with dairies, or with just milk. Cow milk is said to have growth factor for big animals and to prefer goat milk. I do not agree about pasteurized or sterilised not homogenised milk, that seem no problem for Peat.

As I read some saying no starch, Peat does not say this, he says to be low on grains, on seeds that are future babies well protected against predators. And he eats potatoes and masa harina, so I agree that what is important is how starchies are prepared. I can eat them when they are terribly overcooked for everybody!

I also think that he does not take into account what to mix or not at the same meal, such as pH for eating meat or carbs.

I do not agree about being low on veggies, too many people have found themselves better by adding more to their diet, or by juicing. just do not do this all the time but by periods! I just think again that vegetable products have to be prepared properly. Even fruits. I was very greatful to learn about possible not tolerating raw pectine, and this Works for me.

Xisca

And I was not totally convinced by the article about learned helplessness or whatever I read about the nervous system in general, that do not speak enough nor clearly about the autonomic nervous system. And this is fundamental for immunity and digestion, that need a parasympathic state to be working properly.

Dopamine

I have a theory that the need for starch generally increases in proportion to muscle mass and exercise. If you have high muscle mass and exercise a lot- your need for muscle glycogen is much higher and starch is the best food for refilling muscle glycogen. Furthermore insulin has anabolic benefits on muscle growth maybe through helping refill glycogen.

I think maybe Ray doesn't value starch primarily because he has low muscle mass and doesn't really exercise as far as I know...

Drareg

Most people don't understand what he advocates because it takes years to reach his level of understanding and it's currently evolving.
People take him out of context continually.

What's good to keep in mind that none of the charlatans who give the illusion of refuting Ray Peat or claiming Ray has a misunderstanding do not take him on with dialogue, they create a straw man on this forum and try to redirect you their blog!

encerent

I have a theory that the need for starch generally increases in proportion to muscle mass and exercise. If you have high muscle mass and exercise a lot- your need for muscle glycogen is much higher and starch is the best food for refilling muscle glycogen. Furthermore insulin has anabolic benefits on muscle growth maybe through helping refill glycogen.

I think maybe Ray doesn't value starch primarily because he has low muscle mass and doesn't really exercise as far as I know...

I kinda thinking the same for muscle meats for people with more muscle mass. Although having a huge amount of muscle mass would imply a rather stressful workout regime.

encerent

Most people don't understand what he advocates because it takes years to reach his level of understanding and it's currently evolving.
People take him out of context continually.

What's good to keep in mind that none of the charlatans who give the illusion of refuting Ray Peat or claiming Ray has a misunderstanding do not take him on with dialogue, they create a straw man on this forum and try to redirect you their blog!

To reach his level of technical understanding in physiology and biochemistry I think actually would require formal education at the Phd level.

I've never heard Ray Peat debate with anyone. The people he talks to on various radio shows always already agree with him beforehand. I'd like to see she him debate someone like that Robert (fructose is evil) Lustig guy.

raypeatclips

I'd like to see she him debate someone like that Robert (fructose is evil) Lustig guy.

I get the impression Peat is not the debate type of guy. He has done research himself to find out the answers, and writes an article every now and again. I can't imagine him fiercely debating someone like Lustig. Why does he need to prove Lustig is wrong, to embarrass him? His articles are there which disprove what Lustig says.

encerent

I get the impression Peat is not the debate type of guy. He has done research himself to find out the answers, and writes an article every now and again. I can't imagine him fiercely debating someone like Lustig. Why does he need to prove Lustig is wrong, to embarrass him? His articles are there which disprove what Lustig says.

Lustig is considerably more well-known than Peat (for starters Lustig actually has a wiki page;)) and has much more influence, and using is it to do some harm. If Lustig can be corrected, maybe he'll reform and use his great influence to actually improve a lot of people's lives.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Lustig is considerably more well-known than Peat (for starters Lustig actually has a wiki page;)) and has much more influence, and using is it to do some harm. If Lustig can be corrected, maybe he'll reform and use his great influence to actually improve a lot of people's lives.
Your post reminded me of this quote,
"The attempt to steer a person can make it hard for them to move, because it inactivates their own guidance system." -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals