What Are Good Ways To Increase Insulin Sensitivity?

Wagner83

1 tablespoon in a glass of water, before meals. As an added bonus it improves digestion and completely eliminated issues I had with bloating etc.

I also add ACV to my daily carrot salad.
I'll give it a try, I had associated with bad effects but perhaps it was a coincidence.

It can only counter acidosis if it's through some indirect means, for example improving digestion and so metabolism. Otherwise it increases acidity, unless it has been neutralized. But no one consumes in enough quantity to be concerning.
Ok, goot to know.

Peatfan19

It can only counter acidosis if it's through some indirect means, for example improving digestion and so metabolism. Otherwise it increases acidity, unless it has been neutralized. But no one consumes in enough quantity to be concerning.

There appears to be a general lack of reliable scientific research on the effects of apple cider vinegar specifically, but based on my (current rudimentary) understanding and available data, the malic acid in (unfiltered) ACV, which is a precursor of citrate, appears to have an alkalizing effect. See e.g. below.

Malic acid supplementation increases urinary citrate excretion and urinary pH: implications for the potential treatment of calcium oxalate stone di... - PubMed - NCBI ("Malic acid supplementation increases urinary citrate excretion and urinary pH: implications for the potential treatment of calcium oxalate stone disease.")

(("Malate, a polycarboxylic anion like citrate, is a potential candidate for chelating Ca(+2) and for inducing systemic alkalinization. We speculate that consumption of malic acid induced systemic alkalinization leading to reduced renal tubular reabsorption and metabolism of citrate, and an increase in excretion of the latter. The decrease in SS(CaOx) was caused by enhanced complexation of Ca(+2) by citrate.")

The high malic acid content of pears similarly appear to induce some degree of alkalinization, having been identified as effective in the treatment and prevention of renal stones.

https://www.europeanreview.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/414-425.pdf

There is a vast difference between raw, unfiltered ACV which retains the malic acid, and the filtered and pasteurized variety available in supermarkets. I have tried both, and the unfiltered version is the only one which seems to do me good.

Unfortunately I can't seem to access the interesting study you linked ("Medicinal use of vinegar should be accompanied by a diet rich in potassium alkali salts to avoid possibility of low grade metabolic acidosis"), but would be interested in knowing if it directly mentions ACV, and if so, whether it is the filtered or unfiltered version.

You seem to have done a lot of research on the issue of acidosis, any further insight you may have (or may come across) relating to the benefits of ACV/malic acid would be appreciated.

Wagner83

For the record I have experienced what I believe was a release of stuck bile from drinking (filtered I guess, non filtered gives me sores in the mouth quick) apple juice with pressed lemon juice and drinking coffee. From what you say filtered apple juice would have no malic acid either?

Peatfan19

For the record I have experienced what I believe was a release of stuck bile from drinking (filtered I guess, non filtered gives me sores in the mouth quick) apple juice with pressed lemon juice and drinking coffee. From what you say filtered apple juice would have no malic acid either?

Based on my understanding the filtered and and pasteurized version contains less malic acid, as well as a variety of proteins and enzymes which naturally occurs during the fermentation process.

I wish I could provide more specific detail, but there is unfortunately a general paucity of reliable scientific information on the health benefits ACV, which is frustrating, and a lot of information has to be gleaned from a variety of websites and blogs maintained by health professionals with varying levels of knowledge and insight.

Although only of anecdotal value, when looking at the health benefits I experienced, there is no comparison between raw, unfiltered ACV and the filtered and pasteurized version.

MrSmart

Besides what's already been said.

Keeping low fats in the diet, taking fiber and protein with your carbs, especially sugars, tadalafil improves IR quite good, as well as orlistat.

However, there is absolutely nothing better than losing adipose tissue and gaining muscle mass. These two trump anything else.

Amazoniac

There appears to be a general lack of reliable scientific research on the effects of apple cider vinegar specifically, but based on my (current rudimentary) understanding and available data, the malic acid in (unfiltered) ACV, which is a precursor of citrate, appears to have an alkalizing effect. See e.g. below.

Malic acid supplementation increases urinary citrate excretion and urinary pH: implications for the potential treatment of calcium oxalate stone di... - PubMed - NCBI ("Malic acid supplementation increases urinary citrate excretion and urinary pH: implications for the potential treatment of calcium oxalate stone disease.")

(("Malate, a polycarboxylic anion like citrate, is a potential candidate for chelating Ca(+2) and for inducing systemic alkalinization. We speculate that consumption of malic acid induced systemic alkalinization leading to reduced renal tubular reabsorption and metabolism of citrate, and an increase in excretion of the latter. The decrease in SS(CaOx) was caused by enhanced complexation of Ca(+2) by citrate.")

The high malic acid content of pears similarly appear to induce some degree of alkalinization, having been identified as effective in the treatment and prevention of renal stones.

https://www.europeanreview.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/414-425.pdf

There is a vast difference between raw, unfiltered ACV which retains the malic acid, and the filtered and pasteurized variety available in supermarkets. I have tried both, and the unfiltered version is the only one which seems to do me good.

Unfortunately I can't seem to access the interesting study you linked ("Medicinal use of vinegar should be accompanied by a diet rich in potassium alkali salts to avoid possibility of low grade metabolic acidosis"), but would be interested in knowing if it directly mentions ACV, and if so, whether it is the filtered or unfiltered version.

You seem to have done a lot of research on the issue of acidosis, any further insight you may have (or may come across) relating to the benefits of ACV/malic acid would be appreciated.
I guess it's more simple than that: acids that haven't been neutralized have a sour taste, so you'll have to challenge yourself to ingest them plain, most people will at least dilute them to be able to handle. The acids that have been neutralized aren't repulsive, so should be safer in greater doses.

Raj commented that the smaller the chain, the more water-soluble a fatty acid is.
Even though the fatty acids start from propionic acid (3 carbons in its chain), acetic acid (2 carbons) might interfere with the (rate of) use of carbs somehow and have a positive effect in easing those meal peaks.

Last edited:
Cordyceps, Gymnema, Resveratrol, Thiamin, Berberine
+1 Gymnema Sylvestre. It stimulates the insulin secretion of the pancreas and cell healing.
Maybe it's a good idea to also approach it from the other side: how to not induce insulin "receptor" overstimulation.
-blood sugar regulating:
  • Corosolic Acid from Banaba Leaf
  • High galactomannan fenugreek extract
  • Konjac mannan fibers
  • Nopal cactus fibers
  • Bitter melon saponins
  • Cinnulin Cinnamon extract

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I have been using Gymnema on and off, and have noticed that it definitely helps with blood sugar stability, although I recently just got a fasting Insulin test... and my levels were 5.

What are the optimal fasting Insulin levels, and how is a herbal action that promotes insulin secretion a safe and advisable action?

lampofred

Coffee, niacinamide, and aspirin

Coffee has numerous substances that increase insulin sensitivity and the ability to oxidize glucose

Niacinamide keeps down free fatty acids which allows your cells to heal instead of getting poisoned by stored PUFAs

Aspirin also keeps down FFA and allows cells to heal by inhibiting prostaglandin production

High dose aspirin has been proven to reverse insulin resistance in just a few weeks in a published study and there are many studies associating high coffee consumption with low risk of diabetes

I have been using Gymnema on and off, and have noticed that it definitely helps with blood sugar stability, although I recently just got a fasting Insulin test... and my levels were 5.

What are the optimal fasting Insulin levels, and how is a herbal action that promotes insulin secretion a safe and advisable action?
I think between 3–8 uIU/mL (18–48 pmol/L)
Gymnema is useful against obesity because of its sugar intake reducing effect by blocking sugar binding sites in the intestine or tongue and so against state of hyperglycemia.
Also possibly healing pancreatic cells in case of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, IDDM were pancreas is impaired.
And it affects the permeability of pancreatic beta cells to release insulin, thereby the cells are less reliable on regular glucose stimulation and less prone to damage from excessive glucose. This gives better window of treatment of obesity and hyperglycemia.

But it's not yet clear about effectiveness in adult onset diabetes mellitus which is a form of insulin resistance, that is attributed to the inability of insulin to enter cells via the insulin receptor. Gymnema may overcome this resistance, but require further studies to confirm its validity and also whether the effect is clinically relevant.

Gymnema sylvestre: A Memoir
Gymnema sylvestre stimulates insulin release in vitro by increased membrane permeability. - PubMed - NCBI

Hanzo

+1 Gymnema Sylvestre. It stimulates the insulin secretion of the pancreas and cell healing.
Maybe it's a good idea to also approach it from the other side: how to not induce insulin "receptor" overstimulation.
-blood sugar regulating:
  • Corosolic Acid from Banaba Leaf
  • High galactomannan fenugreek extract
  • Konjac mannan fibers
  • Nopal cactus fibers
  • Bitter melon saponins
  • Cinnulin Cinnamon extract

I'm curious to why overstimulation is bad since I have been researching this lately myself. What are the repercussions.

GreekDemiGod

Could i still be insulin resistant if I'm lean with some muscle mass, but coming off 4 months on a ZeroCarb / Carnivore Diet?
I do show signs of poor liver glycogen storage like waking up in the middle of the night needing sugar.

ddjd

would improving insulin sensitivity also improve HPA axis function?