What Are Eggs Doing In A Peat Diet?

FunkOdyssey

I don't understand why eggs have any place at all in a Peat-inspired diet. They are not only a significant source of overall PUFA -- they are also the most highly-concentrated dietary source available of the most inflammatory PUFA in existence (arachidonic acid). Not to mention, they are rich sources of cysteine, methionine, and tryptophan.

I've read that Peat recommends limiting them to 1-2 per day but honestly, is that not already too much? Adding 1-2 eggs to an otherwise low PUFA Peat'ish diet of fruit, dairy, ruminant meat, etc could easily double your daily PUFA intake from ~3g to 6g.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
FunkOdyssey, welcome to the board! :welcome

This is a great subject. Thank you for bringing it up.

I have cut my egg consumption to about 1 or 2 a week now. I just do not feel good after eating eggs, no matter how much sugar I accompany with them. I ate 1 egg this morning and feel like crap now. Might even cut back to zero eggs if this keeps up.

bradley

Eggs from pastured chickens have a significantly different fat breakdown. Much less o6. Also quite a bit higher in other nutrients compared to grain fed chicken's eggs. I'll only eat eggs from pastured chickens, or not at all.

cliff

1 egg yolk has about .7g of pufa, pretty insignificant when you consider the nutrients it has.

stevensmith

There have been cases where eggnog was effective in treating leukemia patients, as well as other cancers. Talk to Clint Mongan about this. However, I presume that other foods could be used to treat cancer just as easily, and probably more effectively. There is no miracle as to why eggs are healthful to cancer patients. The omega 6: omega 3 ratio is actually a fraud. Omega 3s are more unstable than 6 and people have way worse side effects from fish oil, than they do on corn oil. That isn't the benefit of pastured eggs. I think the benefit would be possibly more vitamin E, which would counteract the PUFA. Don't get me wrong though, sometimes I also wonder why eggs are in a Peat-inspired diet at all. They are very high in phosphorous. The ratio of calcium to phosphorous is very low, so it would be wise to eat the shell with the egg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kemby

As Paul Jaminet says "The dose makes the poison"

If you are consuming small amounts of PUFA as it is in the case from a couple of eggs your body is capable of dealing with the toxin effectively rendering it null and void. Taking things like coconut oil with each meal and coffee reduces the chances even further of the PUFA in this quantity actually doing any damage. The body expels it before it has a chance to hurt you as it is a manageable amount.

Martin

nwo2012

MartinBrown said:
As Paul Jaminet says "The dose makes the poison"

If you are consuming small amounts of PUFA as it is in the case from a couple of eggs your body is capable of dealing with the toxin effectively rendering it null and void. Taking things like coconut oil with each meal and coffee reduces the chances even further of the PUFA in this quantity actually doing any damage. The body expels it before it has a chance to hurt you as it is a manageable amount.

Martin

Good answer. I always lightly fry my eggs in coconut oil as I know some of the PUFAs will be displaced by the sats. And again always at breakfast with coffee. Then an OJ with eggshell calcium and gelatin to balance out the phosphorus and tryptothan respectively.

peatarian

Good answer. I always lightly fry my eggs in coconut oil as I know some of the PUFAs will be displaced by the sats. And again always at breakfast with coffee. Then an OJ with eggshell calcium and gelatin to balance out the phosphorus and tryptothan respectively.[/quote]

I do the same. Only that I drink the OJ before and during I eat the eggs. I once nearly fainted (and Ray Peat really did) after eating two eggs without enough sugar at the same time. At that time I had coffee with milk and lots of sugar. Orange Juice is better.

nwo2012

peatarian said:
Good answer. I always lightly fry my eggs in coconut oil as I know some of the PUFAs will be displaced by the sats. And again always at breakfast with coffee. Then an OJ with eggshell calcium and gelatin to balance out the phosphorus and tryptothan respectively.

I do the same. Only that I drink the OJ before and during I eat the eggs. I once nearly fainted (and Ray Peat really did) after eating two eggs without enough sugar at the same time. At that time I had coffee with milk and lots of sugar. Orange Juice is better.

Yes actually I also drink the OJ first and usually add a little syrup too. As the thyroid improved that hypoglycaemia started if I had the eggs first.

gretchen

Hmm, I've limited eggs to 1-2 per week but have been wondering if I should eat more for the nutrients.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
A couple days ago, I dropped down to 1 a day. I was back to eating 2.

narouz

Here is a mash-up of Peat on Eggs (and other stuff).

It would seem to indicate to me that Peat is indeed not quite as blithe
about eggs as some here are.
And his vigilance extends to other PUFA fat sources--
"beef, oysters, etc."
Interesting too that this has caused a significant shift
in his thoughts about general ratios of foods:
sugars intake up, PUFA fat sources down.

"Our foods usually contain enough PUFA, unavoidably, to make fats matter to some extent. After about twenty years of carefully avoiding them, I'm still getting about 2% of my fat as PUFA (beef, oysters, eggs, etc.). That's why I'm making an effort to increase my sugar intake, to displace some fat."--Peat, @DRoddy

"For a while, the vitamin A is very important, and the PUFA isn't crucial in the short term, so 2 or 3 eggs would be o.k., though in the longer run it's good to eat liver about twice a month, limiting the daily eggs to one or two."--Peat, @DR

"Eating protein by itself can cause a big surge of cortisol. Preceding the protein with some carbohydrate makes the protein go farther, otherwise under the influence of cortisol a lot of protein is used just for energy. Your diet might be low in vitamin A, so it would be better to have eggs for breakfast,preceded with a generous amount of orange juice."--Peat, @DR

J

j.

Narouz, that quote is interesting for other reasons as well. Peat says: after 20 years of carefully avoiding them... So did he start reducing PUFAs just 20 years ago, or did he start making an extra effort then? My guess it's the latter. If I recall correctly, he mentioned in a radio show that he started reducing PUFAs sooner than that.

narouz

More on Eggs:

"There can be a great difference between eggs from chickens that really have adequate pasture, and the standard ones, but the labels aren't likely to contain enough information. 'Organic-free range' chickens in the US are usually fed soy and corn in a crowded outdoor pen. In the US I seldom eat more than one large egg per day, in Mexico where I know where the chickens live and what they eat, I eat more of them."

narouz

j. said:
Narouz, that quote is interesting for other reasons as well. Peat says: after 20 years of carefully avoiding them... So did he start reducing PUFAs just 20 years ago, or did he start making an extra effort then? My guess it's the latter. If I recall correctly, he mentioned in a radio show that he started reducing PUFAs sooner than that.

Yes, j., I thought so too.
Now remember, the time he made that quote is unknown (to me, at least).
So...it's not very helpful in terms of establishing a Peat De-PUFAsizing timeline.

Jenn

Raw eggs in an OJ smoothie are much easier to digest than a cooked egg. I only eat my own forage fed eggs. They eat bugs, lots and lots of bugs, no soy. When I bake, I always add a little gelatin and use coconut oil.

jaketthomas

I don't have a good response to cooked eggs. I notice a 'neutral' effect when they're raw. They're gross, so I hide them in a smoothie or something. But when I cook them, I feel like crap. It's like they drain energy from my body. I've used all kinds of eggs. Even went as far as getting eggs so fresh, that they were still warm. Still a subpar reaction from them when cooked.

J

j.

jaketthomas said:
I don't have a good response to cooked eggs. I notice a 'neutral' effect when they're raw. They're gross, so I hide them in a smoothie or something. But when I cook them, I feel like crap. It's like they drain energy from my body. I've used all kinds of eggs. Even went as far as getting eggs so fresh, that they were still warm. Still a subpar reaction from them when cooked.

Have you tried eating something sweet before? I think Peat drinks a quart of OJ per egg.

Jenn

8 oz per egg is recommended, keeps it in proportion to what milk is as far as protein to sugar ratio.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 7.15.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 7.15.59 AM.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 239
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 7.16.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 7.16.07 AM.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 215
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 7.21.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 7.21.23 AM.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 204

Dutchie

jaketthomas said:
Could be just the eggwhite your responding to. Its a common allergen