What am I missing without fruit/seafood, and how to replace

Rolan

Ok, so I have read that fruit and seafood are key components in this, but I live in
England; The fruit ranges from scarce, to imported, to downright terrible. I go into Whole Foods and 99% of it is imported, as obviously all tropical fruit would be. This therefore takes an option out of my hands(or mouth).

Secondly, seafood. I don't really trust what comes out of our seas, and in any case, I'm not going to eat farmed prawns from India. India! It's absurd. If I were to not consume these food groups, am I really only doing this with my hands tied behind my back? Or do I have viable alternatives to see me through?

Regards.

Dutchie

Re: What am I missing without fruit/seafood, and how to repl

I basically have the same problem too,that all recommended foods are imported, maybe you can incorporate some dries fruits such as dates,raisins,apricots?

Most shrimp over here is also being bred somewhere far off. But if im recalling correctly,its only like eat once a week?(apart from personal preference i guess)
I like shrimp,but dont know why its incorporated,but im not sure if Cod will suffice for it too bc thats actually quite easy to buy wildcaugth over here.
As for oysters.....no thanks,too snotty and slimey for me;)

jaguar43

Rolan said:
Ok, so I have read that fruit and seafood are key components in this, but I live in
England; The fruit ranges from scarce, to imported, to downright terrible. I go into Whole Foods and 99% of it is imported, as obviously all tropical fruit would be. This therefore takes an option out of my hands(or mouth).

Secondly, seafood. I don't really trust what comes out of our seas, and in any case, I'm not going to eat farmed prawns from India. India! It's absurd. If I were to not consume these food groups, am I really only doing this with my hands tied behind my back? Or do I have viable alternatives to see me through?

Regards.

You can still do starches like potatoes, yams, cooked apples pears and other fruit high in starch. Liver organ meats Brain ( i know england view brain and other organs as a delicacy) honey, meats, fish eggs.

Beebop

Well, you're right about the problem with fruit in the UK for some of the year, but it's about to be fruit season. My plan is to harvest as much ripe fruit as I can over the next few months, freeze, cook and store it and then eat it later.

Berries - cooked and strained
Apples - cooked to make puree, or baked apples etc
Plums/damsons - cooked or raw

Very ripe, raw apples and berries should be fine too as long as you tolerate them well.

There are so many apple trees in the UK that are left unpicked, keep an eye out and you'll find some.

This is one of the things I'm most excited about with Peating. I just with I had a bigger freezer!

Beebop

Also, Peat recommends other seafood like white fish. You could get Cockles and Mussels locally (know the song?) :)

Prawn isn't THE thing (but it is tasty!)

This is a useful resource:
http://www.goodfishguide.co.uk/

4peatssake

Amazon UK carries smoked oysters in olive oil. I got these and they're not that bad. :lol:
It's not my favorite but the benefits are worth it and you can make a nice stew with milk and cream if you don't care for them plain.

When I was a kid I used to eat these on saltines with my dad and loved 'em. ;)

Smoked Oysters in Olive Oil

Dutchie

jag2594 said:
Rolan said:

Regards.

You can still do starches like potatoes, yams, cooked apples pears and other fruit high in starch. Liver organ meats Brain ( i know england view brain and other organs as a delicacy) honey, meats, fish eggs.

Are ripe apples and pears starchy?I thougth all ripe fruits are sugar and no starch? Which other fruits are starchy?

jaguar43

Dutchie said:
jag2594 said:
Rolan said:

Regards.

Are ripe apples and pears starchy?I thougth all ripe fruits are sugar and no starch? Which other fruits are starchy?

You can cook them and be fine.

fyo

Potatoes and other tubers are a solid substitute for fruit. The nutrition is very similar, except potatoes are more starchy and fiberous than fruit. That could be an issue if you have a sensitive gut, so cook them thoroughly.

Some frozen imported fruit juices could be okay.

Milk could get you some good sugar.

Seafood I feel like you should be able to find some good fresh seafood somewhere in england.

Dutchie

Ok,i have a stupid question,but does anyone have a link to a cooking fruits video instrucrion or one with lots of step by step pictures,bc i have no idea how to cook fruits at all :s. I looked on youtube but couldnt find anything.

Also does roasting and grilling in a grillpan convert all the starches to sugars?

4peatssake

Dutchie said:
Ok,i have a stupid question,but does anyone have a link to a cooking fruits video instrucrion or one with lots of step by step pictures,bc i have no idea how to cook fruits at all :s. I looked on youtube but couldnt find anything.

Also does roasting and grilling in a grillpan convert all the starches to sugars?
If you google baked apples and baked fruit, there are lots of returns.
Also "baked apples videos" came up with a bunch. I didn't look at any of the videos or recipes though.

There are stove top methods for cooking fruit as well.

Essential Warm Stovetop Fruit

Dutchie

Jenn said:
BTW, gelatin mixes VERY well with applesauce. ;)

Thanx Jenn, I came across that link too but I do better with visual learning.
I know how to make applesauce,kinda....but that's why I asked bc I don't want fruits to turn into sauce or mush.
Baked apples and pears recipes are easy to find,but I was mostly wondering about other fruits since I dont want to be eating only apples throughout the fall/winter. I've seen these crumble dishes but they all require flour ofcourse for the crumbles and I only have/can use coconutflour :(

Do you perhaps happen to know if roasting and grilling fruits,in a grillpan, also converts the starches entirely to sugars?
(From what I saw at that link,cooking time is short so is that enough time for the conversion to happen? Also can you cook fruits and then store/freeze them or how long will that hold up?)

Jenn

You can just saute the peaches in a pan with some coconut oil or butter and a little sugar and eat them like that, a crumble without the crumble. ;)

Cooking with fat helps prevent presorbtion, as does CHEWING.

OP
R

Rolan

Thanks for all replies - I think I thought that berries(seeds) and apples etc weren't Peat friendly, so I was going to leave those. The problem with berries is that they have become unrealistically expensive in the UK, to the point where I cannot consider spending £4 on a handful of berries(if that) as a useful investment. Maybe I can do some gathering If i can source it.

Seafood I will look into more, but it's hard enough finding good enough milk and cheese sources where I live.

montmorency

I live in England too, and I'm not seeing the same problem with fruit. Of course, tropical fruits are going to be imported, but I seem to be able to get oranges, grapes, and maybe melons of various sorts, for quite a lot of the year. In the summer, peaches, cherries and nectarines.

(See if you can find a local market).

Liver and kidney are usually available and usually dirt-cheap. (Try to find a proper butcher, if you can).

For fish, I stick to squid - not always available, but cheap when it is, and it's on the RP list I think, along with other white fish.