What About Spices And Condiments?

Parsifal

Most spices seems full of undiserable molecules (Tannins, polyphenols...).

Pepper and ginger (I've seen it advised here) contain caspicain for example that raises NO a lot.
Garlic and oignons are not Peatarian because they raise oestrogen IIRC according to Peat (and maybe NO?) despite being anti-bacterial and full of sulfur that should be good for connective tissues?

What about Cloves for example? They are very high in manganese and antibacterial but I guess virtually all spicy food raises NO? Would there be good Peatarian spices, herbs and condiments out there?

Dan W

I'm having trouble finding information on ginger's capsaicin content, although it sounds like it has a lot of "gingerol" which is structurally similar. I have my fingers crossed that it doesn't raise NO because of this study, and because it's tasty.

tara

Parsifal said:
post 106406 Garlic and oignons are not Peatarian because they raise oestrogen IIRC according to Peat (and maybe NO?) despite being anti-bacterial and full of sulfur that should be good for connective tissues?
If you come across where Peat has said this, I'm interested. I eat onions and garlic and ginger root and mild peppers (capsicum) regularly, but not so often the really strong ones.
I don't think ginger contains capsaicin.
I think capsaicin at strong enough concentrations can kill or at least anaesthetise nerve cells, which doesn't sound all that healthy to me.

Peat stopped eating pepper corns because they are usually prepared by fermenting.

I think Peat may have said vanilla is generally safe?

There is a thread discussing some beneficial properties of real (Ceylon) cinnamon.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveFoster

What about Cloves for example? They are very high in manganese
They are very high in manganese; 1 tsp of powder has over one-quarter of the RDA.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom