What About Lanolin/Woolwax

LeeLemonoil

Lanolin - Wikipedia

Lanolin is widely used for skin-care purposes for a long time. As with many traditional medicines or substances used in preserving health, modern research corrobates the traditional usage and still those substances tend to be overlooked or get deliberately denoumced in favor of commercial stuff.

Lanolin now contains 6 sterols, among them cholesterol and lanosterol. Peat has stated the beneficial effects of topical cholesterol for skincare and we on the Forum habe discussed and provided research that confirms just that.
Lanolin also contains alpha-hydroxy fatty acids which have interesting properties.

So on addition to the peat-inspired skincare products with added cholesterol, Lanolin seems also to be recommendable for usage and skin nourishment every now and then.
Perhaps it’s also possible to ingest it as q cholesterol source.

SQu

I loved lanolin. One of the few things to help my lips, being a lip balm addict but unable to find the right consistency in a commercial product. But after a year or so I became allergic to it. Itching on lip margins and then tiny blisters. Not uncommon I believe. (I get the same thing if I use tallow that is not completely fresh and sometimes even when it is.) Such a pity. The texture was great. Now I've been making my own lip balms for years and still cannot get it quite right. I've read the allergy might be from traces of chemicals related to tick control. Even though I was using that very purified one for breastfeeding. (Lansinoh?) Now toying with the idea of putting cholesterol into my own balms along with the cocoa butter, beeswax etc.

LUH 3417

I loved lanolin. One of the few things to help my lips, being a lip balm addict but unable to find the right consistency in a commercial product. But after a year or so I became allergic to it. Itching on lip margins and then tiny blisters. Not uncommon I believe. (I get the same thing if I use tallow that is not completely fresh and sometimes even when it is.) Such a pity. The texture was great. Now I've been making my own lip balms for years and still cannot get it quite right. I've read the allergy might be from traces of chemicals related to tick control. Even though I was using that very purified one for breastfeeding. (Lansinoh?) Now toying with the idea of putting cholesterol into my own balms along with the cocoa butter, beeswax etc.
We give lanolin to breast feeding moms post partum for any bleeding or cracking on their nipples. I have to ask if they are allergic to wool because if they are they will be allergic to lanolin. Maybe that’s the allergy?

SQu

Wool doesn't worry me but interesting that one could be allergic to it.

golder

Ray wrote about lanolin in his most recent newsletter (or maybe its 2nd most recent).
Trying to find this, does anyone know what he said, or if he recommends it positively? I want to try topical lanolin on my skin to boost cholesterol :)

golder

Im having trouble tracing the quote, but he spoke about it favourably
Thanks mate. I know it’s not an exact science, but how much do you think would be a safe topical dose? I was thinking of running half a teaspoon and a few drops of camphor onto the stomach region before bed. Cheers!

YourUniverse

Thanks mate. I know it’s not an exact science, but how much do you think would be a safe topical dose? I was thinking of running half a teaspoon and a few drops of camphor onto the stomach region before bed. Cheers!
No idea. Not well-versed on the subject and dont feel qualified to respond. I dont use lanolin.

sunny

Does anyone know a good clean lanolin source? Peat did speak about it being good for the skin, and being able to add cholesterol to the skin, which is then a benefit for vitamin d production as you age.

Kray

Does anyone know a good clean lanolin source? Peat did speak about it being good for the skin, and being able to add cholesterol to the skin, which is then a benefit for vitamin d production as you age.

Kray

going to try this...i can't stand commercial lip balms
Let us know how it works for you. I'm experimenting with this product on my hands. Had been using Lanolin Oil (different brand) and started having skin issues. Maybe simplest is best. Lots of people do just that- put the pure wax on their lips, no extras to cause trouble, per your point on lip "balms".
By the way, this brand has nearly no smell to it, very nice smooth texture. I found the L.Oil to be much tackier to spread than the Pure NZ Lanolin.

Let us know how it works for you. I'm experimenting with this product on my hands. Had been using Lanolin Oil (different brand) and started having skin issues. Maybe simplest is best. Lots of people do just that- put the pure wax on their lips, no extras to cause trouble, per your point on lip "balms".
will do.

I am disgusted by the ingredients that are just thrown into lip balms, we end up licking/eating/absorbing it all off our lips! The tipping point for me was having an allergic reaction to a lip balm and it made my lip swell up like I got stung by a bee. I cannot remember which brand it was anymore, but it had so many ingredients I couldn't figure out which one was the offender.

Kray

will do.

I am disgusted by the ingredients that are just thrown into lip balms, we end up licking/eating/absorbing it all off our lips! The tipping point for me was having an allergic reaction to a lip balm and it made my lip swell up like I got stung by a bee. I cannot remember which brand it was anymore, but it had so many ingredients I couldn't figure out which one was the offender.
Your story is like mine- I recently switched to a new lipstick brand, and I had perioral dermatitis and peeling lips by the end of the day! Now I look for any D3 or lanolin in anything, and avoid it, unless all you have is the product being discussed here. Then if I have issues I will know what it is. Who knows what sources of lanolin in these products. I hope the best result for you!

Kray

@SQu. Wondering how things are lately with lips, balm ingredients, etc. I've been dabbling in lanolin, solid form, for some stubborn skin issues. Very interesting on building a sensitivity to it. I think it may have happened to me recently with some lipstick and cosmetic products. I found a clean pure source of the solid wax and I seem to be ok with it, softening some dry rash areas. If you are still around on the forum, would love to get an update. Thank you!

:M :B.

Ray said in some interview that deodorized lanolin is good stuff if you can find it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals