what about endotoxins from garlic, onions, shallots, leeks etc.?

are these bad in terms of endotoxins?

I mean cooked.

Trying to figure what bothers me and what is okay.

Thanks!

FredSonoma

I wonder this too, because I have equally bad reactions from these as I do starch. I imagine eating them for a few days and going a few days without is the only way to know - but it is not uncommon for these to give people problems (because of inulin I think?)

Zachs

These are probably the worst offenders, if one has any sort of ibs issue. Salt/soy sauce should really be all you need for good flavor. Herbs can also help.

Starch really doesn't seem to be to bad in terms of gi stress as long as it's easily digested. Wheat and rye flour, white rice, tubers, if cooked well seem fine for most. Raw veggies, whole grains, under ripe fruit, these will be the things to avoid first.

Nicholas

endotoxins are not in food, they are a reality of the digestive system. endotoxin is a balancing act and not a list of foods to avoid. for example, some people use carrots to get rid of endotoxin and for others it causes endotoxin. when you go through the process of balancing every part of your life, it spills over into your digestive system.

Zachs

Nicholas said:
post 119351 endotoxins are not in food, they are a reality of the digestive system. endotoxin is a balancing act and not a list of foods to avoid. for example, some people use carrots to get rid of endotoxin and for others it causes endotoxin. when you go through the process of balancing every part of your life, it spills over into your digestive system.

Things like cow hides (gelatin), pre cut veggies, leftovers, vround beef and other things will have endotoxin from bacteria on them. Whether it affects you though depends on permeability, and yea, most endotoxin is produced in the gut.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

I reckon I feel worse if I go three days without (cooked) onions. They may feed gut bacteria, or have ohter down sides, but I think they have other things going for them, at least for me. I don't know why. I also like garlic, both cooked and raw. I've experimented with periods without cooked or raw garlic to see if it made a difference, but I didn't notice any improvement, and I'm pretty sure the raw stuff significantly reduces bacterial population. Since I've resumed eating it the last few months, I reckon I get less gas from spuds and rice etc. But it may be directly a bit harsh on the gut, so that could be a down-side.

I haven't found a way to verify, but Reams reckoned stewed onions provided a useful form of vit-C for people whose system was too acid to make good use of ascorbic acid.

Don't all the alliums also have a bit of sulphur, too?

I guess noting whether you produce a lot more gas when you eat them is one way to estimate how well they feed your gut bacteria?

Mr Rossi

if I eat garlic I will be very tired . I have to lie down for some time.

tara

Mr Rossi said:
post 119397 if I eat garlic I will be very tired . I have to lie down for some time.
I think it has blood-pressure-lowering effects - maybe too much if blood pressure is not strong to begin with?

Last edited by a moderator:

professor_sue

if I eat garlic I will be very tired . I have to lie down for some time.
I know that a long time has passed by since the last comments on this thread. But I am trying to figure out some things with food and my reactions. I have determined that I must absolutely avoid garlic and onions particularly because of the crazy high levels of GI distress (gas mostly) and severe brain fog. I ate some salsa yesterday and then again today. HUGE mistake. I feel so out of it and tired :-( I am working on maintaining plant-based diet and so far, it's been going well. A few hiccups with raw veggies (cruciderous are brutal and must be avoided in raw state) and now onions and garlic. Apparently, in Ayurvedic medicine, according to some, onions and garlic are poisonous on some level, garlic in particular from its ability to cross the blood-brain barrier. Interesting stuff that I think is very valid. Anyway, just thought I'd comment here as I have had the same experiences as you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals