Weston Price vs Ray Peat -newbie question

babs

Ok, I've just been researching these two diets because so many people advocate one or the other. Weston Price says cod liver oil is really good for you, but Ray Peat says its a big no no. Peat also says Omega 3s are bad for us and can cause cancer? Did I read that right? I find his articles hard to understand, but that was the jist that I got....omega 3s are bad. I eat SAVI seeds to get omega 3s...is this a no no? What about Krill oi?

Confusing when different experts disagree. Westin Price has a huge following, and he agrees with Peat on the gelatin and bone broth thing, but a lot are opposite.
thanks for any help
Barb

Jenn

Re: Westin Price vs Ray Peat -newbie question

Westin Price used cod liver oil IN COMBINATION WITH BUTTER OIL (protective saturated fat) to get a and d into malnourished people. We have other sources of vit A and D now a days. Westin Price never advocated seeds or omega 3's. ;) In fact,there are a lot of things advocated by the followers of Westin A Price that don't have anything to do with him.

Mittir

Weston Price died in 1948. He was a dentist. I am not sure current advocates of Weston Price
websites are strictly following Weston price diet or not.
Now there are good amount of scientific evidence showing unsaturated fat is harmful
and fish oil is the most unsaturated of all oils. There is no doubt about oxidative damage done by
unsaturated fats. I believe there are several threads here citing
scientific studies showing bad side of fish oil. Weston Price website also has an
article on oxidative damage of PUFA and fish oil.
http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-f ... t-perilous
There is one good thing about fish oil and that it's break down product
produces anti-inflammatory prostaglandins which fights proinflammatory
prostaglandins of omega 6. Both omega 6 and 3 causes oxidative damage and
one more than the other. Advocates of fish oil downplays the oxidative damage
and over emphasize the anti-inflammatory effect.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

High vitamin butter oil is also high in unsaturated fat.
Research shows that butter oil and cod liver oil, taken together, provide complementary factors leading to proper essential fatty acid balance. High-vitamin butter oil contains arachidonic acid (AA), an omega-6 fatty acid, while cod liver oil is rich in eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), an omega-3. Moreover, the saturated fatty acids in the butter oil promote efficient utilization of the unsaturated fatty acids in the cod liver oil. Finally, butter oil contains a broad and deep range of important quinones including Vitamin K, E and CoQ enzymes while cod liver oil is rich in Vitamin A and D.
Bold mine.

Source

jaguar43

babs said:
Ok, I've just been researching these two diets because so many people advocate one or the other. Westin Price says cod liver oil is really good for you, but Ray Peat says its a big no no. Peat also says Omega 3s are bad for us and can cause cancer? Did I read that right? I find his articles hard to understand, but that was the jist that I got....omega 3s are bad. I eat SAVI seeds to get omega 3s...is this a no no? What about Krill oi?

Confusing when different experts disagree. Westin Price has a huge following, and he agrees with Peat on the gelatin and bone broth thing, but a lot are opposite.
thanks for any help
Barb

Yes ray peat doesn't recommend omega 3s. When you look at the studies he cites, it will become clear. I would say that the people who advocate Weston Price never read the book. An example would be the Native Americans in Canada ate deer thyroid after marriage to be fertile. I would say this is correlated with ray peat than the stuff they promote.

OP
B

babs

So perhaps it is better to get Westin Price's book and go from there? Do Westin Price and Ray Peat agree on most things?

Peata

Mittir said:
Weston Price died in 1948. He was a dentist. I am not sure current advocates of Weston Price
websites are strictly following Weston price diet or not.
Now there are good amount of scientific evidence showing unsaturated fat is harmful
and fish oil is the most unsaturated of all oils. There is no doubt about oxidative damage done by
unsaturated fats. I believe there are several threads here citing
scientific studies showing bad side of fish oil. Weston Price website also has an
article on oxidative damage of PUFA and fish oil.
http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-f ... t-perilous
There is one good thing about fish oil and that it's break down product
produces anti-inflammatory prostaglandins which fights proinflammatory
prostaglandins of omega 6. Both omega 6 and 3 causes oxidative damage and
one more than the other. Advocates of fish oil downplays the oxidative damage
and over emphasize the anti-inflammatory effect.

Interesting. Did you guys catch this part of the article that Mittir linked:

Inducing an essential fatty acid deficiency in an adult human proved much more difficult than curing one. In 1938, the biochemist William Brown volunteered to go six months eating an extremely low-fat diet in Burr’s laboratory. Each day, he consumed three quarts of defatted milk, a quart of cottage cheese made from it, sucrose, potato starch, orange juice and some vitamin and mineral supplements. His blood lipids became more saturated and their concentrations of linoleic and arachidonic acids were cut in half. He experienced a marked absence of fatigue, his high blood pressure returned to normal, and the migraines he had suffered from since childhood completely disappeared.22 Rather than inducing a deficiency, the diet seemed to correct a long-standing excess, perhaps fueled by a history of vegetable oil consumption.

Sounds kinda Peaty to me.

jaguar43

babs said:
So perhaps it is better to get Westin Price's book and go from there? Do Westin Price and Ray Peat agree on most things?

Why does it matter if they are similar? We have all been through that stage, our research has landed us here.

Peata

From what I know, they both like saturated fats such as coconut oil, butter, eggs, organ meats. Milk, bone broths and/or gelatin. They like cooking in stainless steel and glass. Sleep and light.

Neither like soy.

ilovethesea

jag2594 said:
babs said:

Why does it matter if they are similar? We have all been through that stage, our research has landed us here.

Exactly! I went through the Weston A Price stage as well, it's better than a SAD or vegan diet but it is not geared toward improving metabolism like Ray Peat's recommendations are. Sometimes it takes longer to get here though because there is so much "noise" in the alternative health realm. I read about Peat a few years back but it wasn't until I was truly desperate for a solution to my persistent hormonal issues that I decided to finally listen - to everything. The more I test on myself, the more I experience that he is right and others are wrong.

jaguar43

babs said:
Because I want to know. Sheesh.

Why do you want to know what we think ? Its your body, maybe you should take the responsibility and do the research. Instead of trying to find a quick answer. Its not really fair for the people on this forum that actually spend the time doing research and give it to someone who won't actually help the forum back.

J

j.

jag2594 said:
babs said:

Why do you want to know what we think ? Its your body, maybe you should take the responsibility and do the research. Instead of trying to find a quick answer. Its not really fair for the people on this forum that actually spend the time doing research and give it to someone who won't actually help the forum back.

What an idiotic position. Why do you assume he won't help back? He just had three posts. If someone asks what should I buy for light therapy, one could say 3 incandescent 250-watt lights would work. But under your approach, one would have to reply with something like: hey, go read about electromagnetic waves and find the effects of the different frequencies on the generation of energy! Why should I do the work for you? Go and do the research yourself!

jaguar43

j. said:
jag2594 said:
babs said:

What an idiotic position. Why do you assume he won't help back? He just had three posts. If someone asks what should I buy for light therapy, one could say 3 incandescent 250-watt lights would work. But under your approach, one would have to reply with something like: hey, go read about electromagnetic waves and find the effects of the different frequencies on the generation of energy! Why should I do the work for you? Go research!

There is a big difference between asking where to buy something, and incite the difference between weston a price and ray peats ideas. By asking it you imply that you haven't really done any research for yourself and are just pondering off other peoples interpretations. Which could result into other problems.

J

j.

jag2594 said:
There is a big difference between asking where to buy something, and asking the difference between weston a price and ray peats ideas.

If the purpose is health, the answer to the other question could be useful. For example, if they agree on something, he could want to read the other guy's explanation to see if it's more accessible. So in the sense that matters they are the same type of question. Nobody acted like an **** when I asked the difference between Broda Barnes and Ray Peat.

By the way, why do you assume he won't help back?

jaguar43

j. said:
jag2594 said:
There is a big difference between asking where to buy something, and asking the difference between weston a price and ray peats ideas.

Is the purpose is health, the answer the other question could have a useful application, for example, if they agree on something, he could want to read the other guy's explanation to see if it's more accessible. So in the sense that matters they are the same type of question. Nobody acted like an **** when I acted the difference between Broda Barnes and Ray Peat.

By the way, why do you assume he won't help back?

By asking that question He/she implies that he/she haven't really done any research for her/himself and are just pondering off other peoples interpretations. Which could result into other problems. i never read your post on broda barnes so I couldn't tell you.

jaguar43

ilovethesea said:
jag2594 said:
babs said:

Exactly! I went through the Weston A Price stage as well, it's better than a SAD or vegan diet but it is not geared toward improving metabolism like Ray Peat's recommendations are. Sometimes it takes longer to get here though because there is so much "noise" in the alternative health realm. I read about Peat a few years back but it wasn't until I was truly desperate for a solution to my persistent hormonal issues that I decided to finally listen - to everything. The more I test on myself, the more I experience that he is right and others are wrong.

I was the same way..

J

j.

jag2594 said:
By asking that question He/she implies that he/she haven't really done any research for her/himself and are just pondering off other peoples interpretations. Which could result into other problems. i never read your post on broda barnes so I couldn't tell you.

He is not pondering about people's interpretations. What things RP and WP agreed on is a factual type of thing, it doesn't have to be an "interpretation". If both favored gelatin, they agreed on gelatin. This is not an interpretation, just a fact.

I haven't done any research on a lot of things and I ask questions here to see if someone did so I could know more quickly. I thought that was basically the purpose of the forum.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals