Wellness Check After 1 Year On High-Sugar Diet

stargazer1111

I just completed a wellness check through my employer and it happened to coincide with my 1 year anniversary of eating semi-Peat-inspired. I get about 200-250 grams of sugar per day. Up until a few weeks ago, I had been eating larger amounts of fat but have since reduced it to about 45-50 grams per day (all coming from beef and coconut fat). Starch comes and goes, but the sugar is daily. I am intolerant to fruit for the most part, so my sugar is mostly refined (soda or sucrose).

I'm 5'11". One year ago, I weighed 190 pounds. Today, I weigh 179.6 pounds. My total cholesterol is 203 mg/dl. The "healthy" range is less than 200 mg/dl, however the science I have read shows that all cause mortality is lowest (especially in older people) at concentrations near 232 mg/dl, so I would argue that my cholesterol is on the low side.

My HDL is 46 mg/dl, the "healthy" range is greater than 40 mg/dl so this is good.

Additionally, I check my blood sugar regularly because I have HPA axis issues that result in hypoglycemia (found out that my hypo issues for the last 13 years are HPA axis related after seeing an endo recently).

My fasting blood sugar stays consistently somewhere between 70 mg/dl and 86 mg/dl. Never above this.

So, no insulin resistance as a result of this diet. It appears that my health has somewhat improved over the last year. Will keep a closer eye since I have lowered my fat intake to see what changes occur.

LUH 3417

I just completed a wellness check through my employer and it happened to coincide with my 1 year anniversary of eating semi-Peat-inspired. I get about 200-250 grams of sugar per day. Up until a few weeks ago, I had been eating larger amounts of fat but have since reduced it to about 45-50 grams per day (all coming from beef and coconut fat). Starch comes and goes, but the sugar is daily. I am intolerant to fruit for the most part, so my sugar is mostly refined (soda or sucrose).

I'm 5'11". One year ago, I weighed 190 pounds. Today, I weigh 179.6 pounds. My total cholesterol is 203 mg/dl. The "healthy" range is less than 200 mg/dl, however the science I have read shows that all cause mortality is lowest (especially in older people) at concentrations near 232 mg/dl, so I would argue that my cholesterol is on the low side.

My HDL is 46 mg/dl, the "healthy" range is greater than 40 mg/dl so this is good.

Additionally, I check my blood sugar regularly because I have HPA axis issues that result in hypoglycemia (found out that my hypo issues for the last 13 years are HPA axis related after seeing an endo recently).

My fasting blood sugar stays consistently somewhere between 70 mg/dl and 86 mg/dl. Never above this.

So, no insulin resistance as a result of this diet. It appears that my health has somewhat improved over the last year. Will keep a closer eye since I have lowered my fat intake to see what changes occur.
What diagnostic labs proved you have a HPA axis issue?

marsaday

Do you take thyroid for your thyroid issues ? Can you tell me a bit more about the HPA axis issues and how they impact the thyroid. I am a thyroid patient and understand how the axis works, but it is interesting to hear new takes on this issue.

OP
S

stargazer1111

What diagnostic labs proved you have a HPA axis issue?

I did a 24 hour salivary cortisol test that showed a diurnal pattern opposite of what is normal. My cortisol levels are always below the normal range, but are lowest in the morning and rise throughout the day.

I am going in on April 8th to do an insulin challenge where they measure cortisol responses to insulin. I believe this tests for Addison's disease. At this point my doctor isn't sure if it is primary or secondary hypoadrenalism.

After noticing that my blood sugar always drops between meals during the day, but never after dinner or during the night, this is what prompted her to have me do the salivary cortisol test initially.

OP
S

stargazer1111

Do you take thyroid for your thyroid issues ? Can you tell me a bit more about the HPA axis issues and how they impact the thyroid. I am a thyroid patient and understand how the axis works, but it is interesting to hear new takes on this issue.

No. I tried that a couple of years ago and stopped because I ended up with severe hyperthyroidism (but this was more likely caused by excess vitamin A supplementation at the time). I had a TSH of less than .01 and high T3 and T4 levels. They did an ultrasound on my thyroid that showed inflammation and hot nodules. Thankfully, after a year off the vitamin A, this all resolved.

I have made some serious mistakes with my diet/nutrition over the years. That was my biggest, I think.

LUH 3417

I did a 24 hour salivary cortisol test that showed a diurnal pattern opposite of what is normal. My cortisol levels are always below the normal range, but are lowest in the morning and rise throughout the day.

I am going in on April 8th to do an insulin challenge where they measure cortisol responses to insulin. I believe this tests for Addison's disease. At this point my doctor isn't sure if it is primary or secondary hypoadrenalism.

After noticing that my blood sugar always drops between meals during the day, but never after dinner or during the night, this is what prompted her to have me do the salivary cortisol test initially.
Interesting. I have high eosinophils which could be a sign of Addison’s. The endocrinologist says she suspects hpa axis dysregulation because I have had hyperhidrosis my entire life. My morning cortisol was 14 on blood tests. Anything you suggest think I can ask her or talk to her about when I see her next? I will ask for a 24 hour salivary test and maybe a DUTCH test, but anything else you think of would be helpful.

OP
S

stargazer1111

Interesting. I have high eosinophils which could be a sign of Addison’s. The endocrinologist says she suspects hpa axis dysregulation because I have had hyperhidrosis my entire life. My morning cortisol was 14 on blood tests. Anything you suggest think I can ask her or talk to her about when I see her next? I will ask for a 24 hour salivary test and maybe a DUTCH test, but anything else you think of would be helpful.

I'm not an expert on this. But, you need to keep an eye on your blood glucose to see if it drops between meals. Do you ever get hypoglycemia?

LUH 3417

I'm not an expert on this. But, you need to keep an eye on your blood glucose to see if it drops between meals. Do you ever get hypoglycemia?
Yes I do but my glucose tests are always normal. Maybe I’ll get a glucometer.

OP
S

stargazer1111

Yes I do but my glucose tests are always normal. Maybe I’ll get a glucometer.

I recommend that for sure. Check your fasting numbers daily and check how you respond to meals. My blood sugar drops down into the low 40's after breakfast and lunch if I don't continually eat sugar/carbs every 1-1.5 hours. But, this stops in the evening. I have no hypoglycemia after dinner or overnight.