Welch's Fruit Snacks

Peata

Instead of gummy bears, I've been buying Welch's Fruit Snacks. They are tasty and convenient in the little pouches for when I want sugar.

These are the ingredients in the Mixed Fruit one, which I buy the most:

juice from concentrates (grape, pear, peach, pineapple)
corn syrup
sugar
modified corn starch
fruit puree (strawberry, raspberry, orange, grape)
gelatin
citric acid
lactic acid
natural & artificial flavors
vitamin c
vitamin e
vitamin a
sodium citrate
coconut oil
carnauba wax
red 40, yellow 5, blue 1

They have 80 calories, 0 fat, 10 mg. sodium, 19 g. carb, 11 g. sugar, 1 g. protein, 25% vit A, 100% vit C, 25% vit E.

So the ingredients aren't perfect, but I think they work for me OK. It also helps me get more vitamin E, which is often lacking in my cronometer. I'm open to better options for a convenient, tasty sweet snack though.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Definitely not even close to being perfect. Make your own gummy bears its extremely easy and much less toxic. :2cents

OP
Peata

Peata

I will have to find a good recipe for it. I'm sure someone has put one on here.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Rolan

Charlie,

Do you view gummy bears as a daily, necessary part of your diet or just something you like to eat every now and then which is safe? I presume you take Gelatin on it's own.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Rolan, no I don't because I get enough of protein and sugar without it. For road trips and stuff I would probably bring some along.

I do like to make them every now and then though as a treat.

Jenn

I use gummy bears as an emergency back up. At home, if I NEED to eat something RIGHT NOW. ( I am not the only one that gets growly when hungry, right?) Usually away from home though, it's not ideal, but better than nothing. There are other brands that don't contain lactic acid. I used to think the benefits of the gelatin outweighed the lactic acid,but prolonged use told me that wasn't the case, for me anyway.