Weird, Rushed Feeling In My Body

Wagner83

Is there anything that you do differently during week-ends? Like more screens exposure, eating out, no physical activity (although that shouldn't give issues).

OP
superGrover

superGrover

Is there anything that you do differently during week-ends? Like more screens exposure, eating out, no physical activity (although that shouldn't give issues).
Aside from the different bedtimes, I do everything later in the day because I get up later. My bowel movement is most of time between 10-11 AM on workdays but in the weekends it is in the afternoon because I'm sleeping until 10 AM for example (7AM on the workdays). I have less screen exposure on the weekends (software developer) and I don't eat out a lot. And the difference is that I'm home all day sometimes, instead of going to work. I can't think of other differences right now.

OP
superGrover

superGrover

I noticed you mention intsstines. Were you eating a good amount of fiber as a vegan, and now eating low fiber on the "peat diet"?
That's a good call! I didn't eat carrot as a vegan because my bowels didn't take it well (now they do), but I ate dates, an apple, bananas, and in the evening sometimes three plates of rice with beans and veggies. So I think I ate more fiber then.

By the way, I just ate three slices of whole wheat bread when I connected the dots after reading your last reply, and the headache got significantly less worse! I eat less bread in the weekend than on workdays (2 vs 6), so fiber may really be the cause! Thank you for giving this suggestion! I'm going to eat more fiber next weekend and see if the headache and nausea stay away completely. Do you know why low fiber causes this?

raypeatclips

No idea. I was just thinking about myself recently, and how I am beginning to feel better eating more fiber. I think one of the big issues with the "peat diet" is that people completely ignore fiber other than a measly carrot once a day. Perhaps a lack of fiber results in constipation, that had caused your negative symptoms? Constipation and other gut issues can cause a whole host of negative symptoms. I certainly feel horrible when I am constipated, and could get headaches, nausea like you and the inclusion of delicious fibers is doing me good.

Btw I am pretty much eating 3 plates of rice, veggies and meat a day + generous amounts of fat, and doing better than I have been.

Last edited:

Mad

I still have all-day-long headache/nausea on sundays and sometimes saturday

Do you usually drink caffeine in the mornings?

For the longest time I couldn't figure out why I was getting headaches EVERY SINGLE weekend. Finally I read somewhere that it could be that my body is accustomed to caffeine at about 8am on week days, which is when I usually drank my coffee at work, but on weekends I sleep in really late and sometimes don't have my coffee until noon or later. My body was used to having it at 8am Monday-Friday so on Saturday it was like HELLO where's my caffeine?!
So I started staggering my morning coffee time. Monday-Wednesday I have it at normal time. Thursday I wait until about 9 or 10 to make my coffee. Friday I wait until about 10 or 11. I've been weekend-headache free since adopting this routine.

OP
superGrover

superGrover

No idea. I was just thinking about myself recently, and how I am beginning to feel better eating more fiber. I think one of the big issues with the "peat diet" is that people completely ignore fiber other than a measly carrot once a day. Perhaps a lack of fiber results in constipation, that had caused your negative symptoms? Constipation and other gut issues can cause a whole host of negative symptoms. I certainly feel horrible when I am constipated, and could get headaches, nausea like you and the inclusion of delicious fibers is doing me good.

Btw I am pretty much eating 3 plates of rice, veggies and meat a day + generous amounts of fat, and doing better than I have been.
Hmm yeah I can imagine it causes a ton of things. I've been going to the toilet a bit more too because of the fibre, so I guess it's a good thing.

That's great to hear! How much fat per day do you average?

Do you usually drink caffeine in the mornings?

For the longest time I couldn't figure out why I was getting headaches EVERY SINGLE weekend. Finally I read somewhere that it could be that my body is accustomed to caffeine at about 8am on week days, which is when I usually drank my coffee at work, but on weekends I sleep in really late and sometimes don't have my coffee until noon or later. My body was used to having it at 8am Monday-Friday so on Saturday it was like HELLO where's my caffeine?!
So I started staggering my morning coffee time. Monday-Wednesday I have it at normal time. Thursday I wait until about 9 or 10 to make my coffee. Friday I wait until about 10 or 11. I've been weekend-headache free since adopting this routine.
Haha yeah I had the same thing the first couple of weeks! I was drinking regular coffee at work, but I forgot we only had decaf at home. I made sure I got enough caffeine during the weekend (and early enough on the day) when I found out. I now drink it roughly at thesame time every day.

OP
superGrover

superGrover

UPDATE:
Some symptoms are gone now and some are not. I cut out coconut oil and supplements, and cut down on salt quite a bit. All of this to stimulate the metabolism less, because my body can handle only so much metabolic stimulation at this point in time. The rushed feeling is now gone, which is great. The BO, which also seems to be connected to stimulating the metabolism too much, has greatly diminished. So I want to say thank you to everyone who helped me so far.

The symptom that persisted is the bad (perhaps light) sleep, and the numbness during the day. I thought it was connected to the metabolism thing, but I don't know.
The lack of good sleep feels cumulative, and I seem to get a bit more tired every day. My emotions get more flattened out by now.
I got comments from a mate that my facial expression was really serious, and an indirect comment from a woman that I looked unhappy.
Does anyone have further suggestions what this could be and how I could treat it?
My parents say that I am talking in my sleep a lot. And I don't have breaks in my sleep (waking up), so that's positive I guess.

Constatine

UPDATE:
Some symptoms are gone now and some are not. I cut out coconut oil and supplements, and cut down on salt quite a bit. All of this to stimulate the metabolism less, because my body can handle only so much metabolic stimulation at this point in time. The rushed feeling is now gone, which is great. The BO, which also seems to be connected to stimulating the metabolism too much, has greatly diminished. So I want to say thank you to everyone who helped me so far.

The symptom that persisted is the bad (perhaps light) sleep, and the numbness during the day. I thought it was connected to the metabolism thing, but I don't know.
The lack of good sleep feels cumulative, and I seem to get a bit more tired every day. My emotions get more flattened out by now.
I got comments from a mate that my facial expression was really serious, and an indirect comment from a woman that I looked unhappy.
Does anyone have further suggestions what this could be and how I could treat it?
My parents say that I am talking in my sleep a lot. And I don't have breaks in my sleep (waking up), so that's positive I guess.
Being active is pretty important for sleep quality. As is protein intake and total caloric intake. How are you doing on these things? Chamomile tea before bed can be very useful. Make sure to get some sun exposure every day, especially early in the morning. Sleep in total darkness, buy a sleep mask if you need to. Its likely the flattened emotions are due to the poor sleep quality as sleep deprivation downregulates dopamine receptors (which are largely responsible for emotional vividness).

OP
superGrover

superGrover

Being active is pretty important for sleep quality. As is protein intake and total caloric intake. How are you doing on these things? Chamomile tea before bed can be very useful. Make sure to get some sun exposure every day, especially early in the morning. Sleep in total darkness, buy a sleep mask if you need to. Its likely the flattened emotions are due to the poor sleep quality as sleep deprivation downregulates dopamine receptors (which are largely responsible for emotional vividness).
Thanks for the reply Constatine! I do around 85-90 grams of protein a day (excluding 25grams from bread). Calories is ~2600-2800. I take chamomile tea sometimes before bed. My office has quite some natural sunlight coming in, and I commute an hour to work by car. With the darkness going away, I get more sun in the mornings. Mostly through windows, but it's better than nothing. My room is very dark at night. Hmm alright, that dopamine shortage might be the case indeed.

I'm going to start the supplements again by the way, my gums have receded a little bit in the last week and I'm scared, so K2 (along with the other supps) might help again.

raypeatclips

@superGrover I noticed you didn't mention much about exercise in your reply there. I can guarantee poor night sleep if I stay sat down all day, or don't some sort of exercise. Brisk walks for an hour around my area is a minimum requirement for me, I have quite an active job too, and do bodyweight exercise sessions 3 or so times a week, depending how tired I am, I try not to overdo it. Over exercising gives me terrible sleep but it's easier to under exercise than over exercise imo.

Other things that help with sleep are light through the day, not too much close to bed time. Getting out of the house really helps too. Eating a substantial amount before bed allows me to sleep the full night too I suspect if I am under calories for the day this is why this helps. If I have eaten enough during day this bit isn't needed.

It sounds cliche but exercise is so important. I can pretty much control how good my nights sleep is going to be through exercise.

OP
superGrover

superGrover

@superGrover I noticed you didn't mention much about exercise in your reply there. I can guarantee poor night sleep if I stay sat down all day, or don't some sort of exercise. Brisk walks for an hour around my area is a minimum requirement for me, I have quite an active job too, and do bodyweight exercise sessions 3 or so times a week, depending how tired I am, I try not to overdo it. Over exercising gives me terrible sleep but it's easier to under exercise than over exercise imo.

Other things that help with sleep are light through the day, not too much close to bed time. Getting out of the house really helps too. Eating a substantial amount before bed allows me to sleep the full night too I suspect if I am under calories for the day this is why this helps. If I have eaten enough during day this bit isn't needed.

It sounds cliche but exercise is so important. I can pretty much control how good my nights sleep is going to be through exercise.
Thank you RayPeatClips! The office I work at is big, and I walk around in there regularly, from one side to the other. I also always take the stairs (3 flights) up. I have some stretch bands which I use in the weekends and sometimes after work. Do you go to a gym or do you have stuff at home? I'm thinking of going to a gym, but during week days I'm home at 7 so that may be too late to exercise.

I'm trying the eating thing before bed you suggest right now. In the evenings the last month I only had OJ and milk, but not solid food. Do you eat icecream before bed if you eat before bed? And how much is a substantial amount?

mmb82

UPDATE:
The BO, which also seems to be connected to stimulating the metabolism too much, has greatly diminished. So I want to say thank you to everyone who helped me so far.

The symptom that persisted is the bad (perhaps light) sleep, and the numbness during the day.

Have you tried topical magnesium? Peat tends to talk a lot about the benefits of calcium, but IMO, he doesn't emphasize the need to balance that calcium with magnesium enough. Things like body odor, poor sleep, anxiety, and depression can potentially point to a magnesium deficiency. If you have been Peating for 3 months and just started noticing these symptoms, it is possible that the high calcium diet (1-1.5 liters of milk) and vitamin D supplementation finally drove your magnesium levels to the ground.

I would look into a topical magnesium spray or lotion. Magnesium is pretty safe, especially when taken transdermally, so feel free to apply liberally throughout the day and especially at night before bed. If the oil makes your skin itch, try using a lotion or coconut oil on the skin with it. I noticed improved sleep once I started magnesium and K2, i.e. I slept through the whole night without waking up at all. I can't say it is panacea for sleep, but it is a cheap and safe thing to try, especially if you are getting desperate.

raypeatclips

Thank you RayPeatClips! The office I work at is big, and I walk around in there regularly, from one side to the other. I also always take the stairs (3 flights) up. I have some stretch bands which I use in the weekends and sometimes after work. Do you go to a gym or do you have stuff at home? I'm thinking of going to a gym, but during week days I'm home at 7 so that may be too late to exercise.

I'm trying the eating thing before bed you suggest right now. In the evenings the last month I only had OJ and milk, but not solid food. Do you eat icecream before bed if you eat before bed? And how much is a substantial amount?

I feel to me that exercise needs to be a prolonged thing, for example an hours brisk walk without stopping, otherwise I don't really feel the benefit. I am active at work for 6-8 hours a day, in that I bend over to pick things up, carry things, walk fast for 20 seconds to get somewhere, drag something heavy for a short distance, this doesn't have the same benefits as an hours walk outdoors for an hour, nowhere near. Also there are many unfit and overweight people that do my job and don't struggle, I don't think my job (or a job in an office) would be intense enough to get exercise benefits.

I don't like gyms and they're inconvenient. I do just home things at the moment, nothing too strenuous, and I don't do this every day. My daily hour walks are the main thing for me really, sort of like the "base" and then the resistance training on top is just "extra."

You've not eaten anything solid in a month?

Yeah I sometimes eat ice cream before bed, it can be expensive though, sometimes I use other fat sources.

OP
superGrover

superGrover

Have you tried topical magnesium? Peat tends to talk a lot about the benefits of calcium, but IMO, he doesn't emphasize the need to balance that calcium with magnesium enough. Things like body odor, poor sleep, anxiety, and depression can potentially point to a magnesium deficiency. If you have been Peating for 3 months and just started noticing these symptoms, it is possible that the high calcium diet (1-1.5 liters of milk) and vitamin D supplementation finally drove your magnesium levels to the ground.

I would look into a topical magnesium spray or lotion. Magnesium is pretty safe, especially when taken transdermally, so feel free to apply liberally throughout the day and especially at night before bed. If the oil makes your skin itch, try using a lotion or coconut oil on the skin with it. I noticed improved sleep once I started magnesium and K2, i.e. I slept through the whole night without waking up at all. I can't say it is panacea for sleep, but it is a cheap and safe thing to try, especially if you are getting desperate.

Thanks! I use it for 1,5 years now. Not everyday because I forget it sometimes, and it's not as convenient to do as taking a supplement. I think I do it 2 or 3 times a week before bed. Shower it off because my skin is really dry and it gets itchy after half an hour. I should rub it on more often.

I feel to me that exercise needs to be a prolonged thing, for example an hours brisk walk without stopping, otherwise I don't really feel the benefit. I am active at work for 6-8 hours a day, in that I bend over to pick things up, carry things, walk fast for 20 seconds to get somewhere, drag something heavy for a short distance, this doesn't have the same benefits as an hours walk outdoors for an hour, nowhere near. Also there are many unfit and overweight people that do my job and don't struggle, I don't think my job (or a job in an office) would be intense enough to get exercise benefits.

I don't like gyms and they're inconvenient. I do just home things at the moment, nothing too strenuous, and I don't do this every day. My daily hour walks are the main thing for me really, sort of like the "base" and then the resistance training on top is just "extra."

You've not eaten anything solid in a month?

Yeah I sometimes eat ice cream before bed, it can be expensive though, sometimes I use other fat sources.
Interesting that an hour is needed for benefits. What benefit do you feel after an hour? Did you find that strenght training gives you not so much benefit? As you don't do that much?

I've not eaten anything solid from 8PM in the evenings in the last month. So the last three evenings I did that. I can't tell if there's an effect on how I sleep yet.

By the way, this morning I woke up with the headache again, while I ate as much starch as the workdays before(!). The thing I have avoided yesterday was sugar (adding sugar to stuff and on bread), as I thought it was having a negative effect on me. But it might be that low sugar was the cause of the headache. Last sunday then I ate the three slices of bread and the headache went away, I had a lot of sugar on it (with some butter and cinnamon). So maybe it is low glucose or fructose in my body that causes the headache and nausea, or that and not enough fiber in the diet. I also heard Ray talking about glucose and the liver and drinking milk with a lot of sugar in to get through the night with enough glucose. Maybe I should try adding more sugar to the milk. Or just eat the icecream which already has sugar.

raypeatclips

Thanks! I use it for 1,5 years now. Not everyday because I forget it sometimes, and it's not as convenient to do as taking a supplement. I think I do it 2 or 3 times a week before bed. Shower it off because my skin is really dry and it gets itchy after half an hour. I should rub it on more often.

Interesting that an hour is needed for benefits. What benefit do you feel after an hour? Did you find that strenght training gives you not so much benefit? As you don't do that much?

I've not eaten anything solid from 8PM in the evenings in the last month. So the last three evenings I did that. I can't tell if there's an effect on how I sleep yet.

By the way, this morning I woke up with the headache again, while I ate as much starch as the workdays before(!). The thing I have avoided yesterday was sugar (adding sugar to stuff and on bread), as I thought it was having a negative effect on me. But it might be that low sugar was the cause of the headache. Last sunday then I ate the three slices of bread and the headache went away, I had a lot of sugar on it (with some butter and cinnamon). So maybe it is low glucose or fructose in my body that causes the headache and nausea, or that and not enough fiber in the diet. I also heard Ray talking about glucose and the liver and drinking milk with a lot of sugar in to get through the night with enough glucose. Maybe I should try adding more sugar to the milk. Or just eat the icecream which already has sugar.

An hour just feels right for me, I'm sure everyone is different but at low/moderate intensity I think it need to last a while. Things like sprints could probably give you similar benefits in a lesser amount of time but is more taxing, more potential to overdo it.

Benefits I get are better bowel movements, mood, sleep that night, just feels good to be out and moving.

Strength training I like, but if I don't feel good and energised already then I dont try to "power through" and do it. If I am working long days strength training gets put on hold. I also don't like being aching and sore at work as my job is fairly physical anyway so it would be annoying, so I usually save strength training for when I have a day off. Getting into a routine I could probably stop being achey the day after but then a routine would sometimes mean I work out when I don't feel great, which I don't want to do. When i have strength trained I feel good, muscles look full and hard. Btw @Brian and @James IV have good posts on exercise I have read a few times.

Why not try some sugar that isn't refined? I seem to gravitate towards 50/50 starch and sugar now. I.e a meal with rice as the starch and a glass of juice and fruit alongside.

Last edited:

Lurker

Activated charcoal, progesterone, Vitamin E, glycine, magnesium, salt and sugar are all relaxing for me.

OP
superGrover

superGrover

An hour just feels right for me, I'm sure everyone is different but at low/moderate intensity I think it need to last a while. Things like sprints could probably give you similar benefits in a lesser amount of time but is more taxing, more potential to overdo it.

Benefits I get are better bowel movements, mood, sleep that night, just feels good to be out and moving.

Strength training I like, but if I don't feel good and energised already then I dont try to "power through" and do it. If I am working long days strength training gets put on hold. I also don't like being aching and sore at work as my job is fairly physical anyway so it would be annoying, so I usually save strength training for when I have a day off. Getting into a routine I could probably stop being achey the day after but then a routine would sometimes mean I work out when I don't feel great, which I don't want to do. When i have strength trained I feel good, muscles look full and hard. Btw @Brian and @James IV have good posts on exercise I have read a few times.

Why not try some sugar that isn't refined? I seem to gravitate towards 50/50 starch and sugar now. I.e a meal with rice as the starch and a glass of juice and fruit alongside.
Yeah I think that if you're tired, you shouldn't sprint, but otherwise could do short bursts of a few seconds. That would be a very short workout session. Thanks, I'll check those guys out.
When there is meat in the meal I don't want to do OJ but I have other fruit juices so that's alright. Do you only eat Peat approved fruit?

Activated charcoal, progesterone, Vitamin E, glycine, magnesium, salt and sugar are all relaxing for me.
Ordered activated charcoal. I consume glycine sometimes, and the other items you mention I take every day.
The one on the list I haven't done yet is progesterone. I think my thyroid is pretty low still, and it should be in good condition when you try prog, right?

OP
superGrover

superGrover

Hi guys, first of all, thanks again for all the help, I'm feeling way better than I did two weeks ago, thanks to you guys.

Here's a summary of what I basically did:
I reduced the salt and coconut oil, which removed the rushed feeling.
I upped my sugar intake (mainly added sucrose to drinks (1-3 teaspoons per drink). This removed my headache and nausea I got when I didn't eat enough sugar.
And it's really easy for me to sleep now, because I'm relaxed and sleepy/tired all day long. Is this a good thing? I think the cortisol/adrenaline has gone or something, because of the glucose in the liver? Does anyone know what this probably is?
Also, I've been putting on weight since I started peating (6-7 kg's now) and my gums are still receding.