Weird, Rushed Feeling In My Body

superGrover

Hi guys,

The first 3 months on Peat-ish, I felt so relaxed during the day, and I slept great.
But not for the last month. Now, I never feel relaxed.
I think that I sleep really light. I wake up 30-60 mins before my alarm easily and have this rushed feeling. And I get a slight dizzy sensation sometimes because of the bad quality sleep. I sleep 6-8 hours every night in the week, more during the weekend.

And during the day I feel kind of numb and rushed and sleepy at the same time. My body must be running on the wrong hormones. Cortisol, andrenaline? Has my metabolism sped up? Because I still seem to pee a a fair amount when I don't drink much. I can't lay my finger on what's exactly going on. I don't know for how long I can keep this up and still function well at work. Is this a classic reaction to Peating for a couple of months?

So, does anyone know what might be the cause and what I can do?

I still eat thesame way now as I did at first, these are the things I incorporated in my diet since starting Peat-ish:
I drink 1l OJ + 1-1,5l milk per day. No/almost no PUFA. One egg per day + OJ. 2 cups coffee after food. 1 carrot. 100mg aspirin. niacinamide. 2 drops K2. 2,500iu D3. 2000iu vit A palmitate. 200iu vit E. 30gram coconut oil. Cherries. Sometimes a coca cola in the afternoon, but not a difference in sleep and feeling when I don't drink it.

Thank you so much.

Constatine

For how long? I tried it for two days last weekend, but no improvement.
Then it could be an intestinal issue or you are just stimulating your metabolism past what your body can handle. I would try a week of no supplements. Also consuming more protein can probably help. Sugar is great but try to not consume too much sugar without nutrient dense foods to go along with it. A hypermetabolic state is even more stressful than a hypometabolic state. People here have a tendency to over stimulate the metabolism while not eating enough food.

OP
superGrover

superGrover

Then it could be an intestinal issue or you are just stimulating your metabolism past what your body can handle. I would try a week of no supplements. Also consuming more protein can probably help. Sugar is great but try to not consume too much sugar without nutrient dense foods to go along with it. A hypermetabolic state is even more stressful than a hypometabolic state. People here have a tendency to over stimulate the metabolism while not eating enough food.
That's interesting. I read somewhere on this forum that sudden smelly body odor could be because of stimulating the metabolism too hard or something. But I don't understand this whole thing yet. I read quite a bit from Ray about metabolism, but not about the balancing act of upping the metabolism to what your body can handle, and further ramping it up when your body is ready to (I guess). Do you have something I can read about this? Do I need to eat less metabolism-speeding food for now (like coconut oil, coffee)?
I'll quit the supplements for a week then. Is that good for the metabolism, or something else?
And what do you mean by nutrient dense foods exactly? Meat, milk, eggs? I'll try to get more protein as well, and be more careful with sugar.

Ulysses

I would try dropping the Vitamin D and Vitamin A supplements.

I haven't been Peating for long, but I remember R.P. writing that Vitamin E, caffeine, aspirin, and niacinamide synergize with each other, so I always try to take those supplements together.

Another thing you might want to look at is the macronutrient balance of your meals. Make sure that whenever you eat protein, you are also consuming adequate sugar, because otherwise the insulin response to protein will lower your blood glucose and cause a stress response. In my case, I find that even the naturally-occurring sugars in milk are not sufficient to prevent this from happening, so I always add some sugar to milk, or have a couple of pieces of fruit alongside it.

Are you drinking water? You shouldn't really have to, not with all the fluids you're taking in from orange juice, milk, and coffee. If you're forcing yourself to drink water in addition to all of that, you could be causing metabolic problems.

raypeatclips

I haven't been Peating for long, but I remember R.P. writing that Vitamin E, caffeine, aspirin, and niacinamide synergize with each other, so I always try to take those supplements together.

Another thing you might want to look at is the macronutrient balance of your meals. Make sure that whenever you eat protein, you are also consuming adequate sugar, because otherwise the insulin response to protein will lower your blood glucose and cause a stress response. In my case, I find that even the naturally-occurring sugars in milk are not sufficient to prevent this from happening, so I always add some sugar to milk, or have a couple of pieces of fruit alongside it.

Are you drinking water? You shouldn't really have to, not with all the fluids you're taking in from orange juice, milk, and coffee. If you're forcing yourself to drink water in addition to all of that, you could be causing metabolic problems.

For what reason drop the A and D?

Constatine

That's interesting. I read somewhere on this forum that sudden smelly body odor could be because of stimulating the metabolism too hard or something. But I don't understand this whole thing yet. I read quite a bit from Ray about metabolism, but not about the balancing act of upping the metabolism to what your body can handle, and further ramping it up when your body is ready to (I guess). Do you have something I can read about this? Do I need to eat less metabolism-speeding food for now (like coconut oil, coffee)?
I'll quit the supplements for a week then. Is that good for the metabolism, or something else?
And what do you mean by nutrient dense foods exactly? Meat, milk, eggs? I'll try to get more protein as well, and be more careful with sugar.
Hypermetabolism and malnutrition is highly associated with bacteria translocation. That could be the cause of your feeling off and the body odor. To be clear a good fast metabolism is great. But malnutrition due to a hypermetabolic state is not. A high metabolism requires a lot of food and nutrients (especially protein), thats why your metabolism rises when you eat more and falls when you are in a caloric deficit. The danger is when you stimulate your metabolism while not simultaneously increasing caloric and nutritional input. How many calories are you getting in a day and how much do you weigh-height? If you are eating plenty already than this is probably not your issue. Also try dropping the coconut oil for a little bit. Some people don't do well with it.

OP
superGrover

superGrover

Hypermetabolism and malnutrition is highly associated with bacteria translocation. That could be the cause of your feeling off and the body odor. To be clear a good fast metabolism is great. But malnutrition due to a hypermetabolic state is not. A high metabolism requires a lot of food and nutrients (especially protein), thats why your metabolism rises when you eat more and falls when you are in a caloric deficit. The danger is when you stimulate your metabolism while not simultaneously increasing caloric and nutritional input. How many calories are you getting in a day and how much do you weigh-height? If you are eating plenty already than this is probably not your issue. Also try dropping the coconut oil for a little bit. Some people don't do well with it.

Thanks so much for the explanation! I'm getting around 2500 calories and I'm 1,80m and 69kg. I was 64 kg when I started 'Peat-ish' in october last year. I'll drop the coconut oil for now then. I also saw that salt and coffee stimulate metabolism a lot, so I use less salt now and take coffee with more milk and as always after food.

Thank you! Yeah in the morning I most of time took aspirin, E and niacinamide together. I do the carbs first (OJ for example) and then milk right after it. Peat said it is best that way. I never drink milk on its own. Funny thing is that I used to drink a bit of water when I started Peat-ish but now I don't anymore for like a month.

How I feel when I am eating starch Vs no starch is completely different. Some of the symptoms sort of reminded me of negative symptoms I had when persevering with eating no starch.

do u know why that it is, why you would feel different on starch vs no starch? i have noticed this before too

raypeatclips

do u know why that it is, why you would feel different on starch vs no starch? i have noticed this before too

I have thought about this quite a few times over the last few months. There are many factors involved so it's hard to say. Less liquid, usually hotter meals, mainly glucose, usually more salt, enjoy food more, maybe more calories.

I've seen people before mention it's "just the salt" but when I was no starch I was heavily salting foods, so it's definitely, in my case at least, not salt related.

I have wondered if an "inefficient liver" (can't handle much coffee) couldn't generate enough energy from high fructose based sources like juice, and that the pure glucose is providing the energy I need and that the people on here that thrive on sugar have better liver health.

Less liquids and more solids definitely has a big effect but I'm still not sure that's the only factor.

I would say it's probably the glucose and less liquids that is why I feel good on starches. Also fat plays a big role for me. At one point I was trying to eat very low fat, as in less than 10g a day. At the time this was with usually starch based meals, potatoes or rice. I would get huge blood sugar rushes and then it dropped fast, which would mimic the symptoms of low blood sugar, despite my blood sugar levels being normal. I felt terrible for a few weeks/ months doing this. Now I eat considerably more fat, starch provides slow, steady energy, and I can go sometimes 6 hours without eating.

Basically the more "normal" I have begun to eat, the better I feel. (carbs, fat and protein with every meal. Starch based meals usually rice. Pretty balanced macros, not doing anything too weird health wise)

Wagner83

I have thought about this quite a few times over the last few months. There are many factors involved so it's hard to say. Less liquid, usually hotter meals, mainly glucose, usually more salt, enjoy food more, maybe more calories.

I've seen people before mention it's "just the salt" but when I was no starch I was heavily salting foods, so it's definitely, in my case at least, not salt related.

I have wondered if an "inefficient liver" (can't handle much coffee) couldn't generate enough energy from high fructose based sources like juice, and that the pure glucose is providing the energy I need and that the people on here that thrive on sugar have better liver health.

Less liquids and more solids definitely has a big effect but I'm still not sure that's the only factor.

I would say it's probably the glucose and less liquids that is why I feel good on starches. Also fat plays a big role for me. At one point I was trying to eat very low fat, as in less than 10g a day. At the time this was with usually starch based meals, potatoes or rice. I would get huge blood sugar rushes and then it dropped fast, which would mimic the symptoms of low blood sugar, despite my blood sugar levels being normal. I felt terrible for a few weeks/ months doing this. Now I eat considerably more fat, starch provides slow, steady energy, and I can go sometimes 6 hours without eating.

Basically the more "normal" I have begun to eat, the better I feel. (carbs, fat and protein with every meal. Starch based meals usually rice. Pretty balanced macros, not doing anything too weird health wise)
How much fat per meal do you eat? Do you feel tired after breakfast and/or lunch?

raypeatclips

How much fat per meal do you eat? Do you feel tired after breakfast and/or lunch?

It varies, minimum about 15 grams I think, usually much more, and more towards the end of the day than the start. Before I bought some digital scales recently I was eyeballing butter in my meals and was hugely underestimating how much I was eating. For about a week I was maybe having about 40 grams of butter per meal. I felt something wasn't quite right, but I didn't feel bad. I certainly didn't feel as bad as when I was low fat, or no starch, just "off". Reducing the butter has been better though, now I know what 10 grams looks like haha. Weight has remained stable during this, which is still higher than I would like however. I have also begun exercising a little more, but not particularly much.

I don't feel tired after any meals I don't think, I do my daily exercise after lunch usually. I do feel better later in the day though, but I think that's more to do with my circadian rhythm more than anything, I've always been a "night owl" for as long as I remember.

OP
superGrover

superGrover

No supps/coconut oil and less salt are going well, except for that I still have all-day-long headache/nausea on sundays and sometimes saturday. This started when I started 'Peat-ish'. I don't know really what the cause of it is. I go to bed later in the evenings and sleep in a bit, so maybe my bowel movement and circadian rhythm is off. But that shouldn't be so bad as this feels. I also get a bad mood when this occurs, but I think mostly because I feel really bad when I have these headaches and nausea. It's also harder for me to eat because of the nausea. I've never had migraines, but this comes close to a light migraine I guess. Throughout the workweek I don't have it. It really spoiled my weekends thus far.

I don't know if I should create a new thread for this, but @raypeatclips and @Constatine , do you guys know what might be causing this?

raypeatclips

No supps/coconut oil and less salt are going well, except for that I still have all-day-long headache/nausea on sundays and sometimes saturday. This started when I started 'Peat-ish'. I don't know really what the cause of it is. I go to bed later in the evenings and sleep in a bit, so maybe my bowel movement and circadian rhythm is off. But that shouldn't be so bad as this feels. I also get a bad mood when this occurs, but I think mostly because I feel really bad when I have these headaches and nausea. It's also harder for me to eat because of the nausea. I've never had migraines, but this comes close to a light migraine I guess. Throughout the workweek I don't have it. It really spoiled my weekends thus far.

I don't know if I should create a new thread for this, but @raypeatclips and @Constatine , do you guys know what might be causing this?

What is your old diet? Why not go back and eat your old diet, and see if things improve? Also long as your old diet wasn't eating loads of PUFA, it would be interesting to see how you fare with the old one.

OP
superGrover

superGrover

What is your old diet? Why not go back and eat your old diet, and see if things improve? Also long as your old diet wasn't eating loads of PUFA, it would be interesting to see how you fare with the old one.
My old diet was vegan, influenced by dr greger. It had a fair amount of pufa and soy and lots of beans. I don't think it's smart to go back to that. The diet I have now fixed some health things for me, so I don't want to go back. And on the rest of the weekdays I'm doing fine with the headaches. It puzzles me. Maybe it has something to do with my intestines.