Weird Reaction To A Lot Of Starch

ATP

Over the years I have had several SSRI's and everytime I was on them I would get this weird thing happen where my eyes would have uneven pupil dilation and when I stopped the medication it would go away, along with other terrible side effects.

So the other day I had a decent amount of starch for first time in a while from well cooked potatoes and about two hours later I was extremely tired and bloated and I noticed I had exactly the same thing with the uneven pupil dilation!

I couldn't believe that eating starch can create the same side effects as an SSRI.

I'm interested to know if anyone could explain this other than the obvious bacteria/serotonin/starch link.

If you have such a bad reaction to starch then the "Peat" view would be simply don't consume it. A true "Peat" diet would be no starch and your carbohydrate sources would be fruit and lactose. If you don't do dairy then that's no lactose so no starch and no lactose leaves you with fruit as your only carbohydrate. Refined sugars such as cane sugar, honey, maple syrup etc., should only be used as condiments and not as a main daily calorie source. Some people add cane sugar to milk but again, if one didn't do dairy then there is no milk to add sucrose to. Peat's view is that if you're going to eat starch then it should be with some butter or hydrogenated coconut oil but if you tried that and still had the bad reaction then the same response would be just don't eat it. People who thrive off of high starch diets are "McDougaller's" or followers of Freelee the Banana Girl's "Raw Til 4" diet so those people are in a different context than "Peatarians." Starch based diets only work in my personal experience and the many starchivores that I follow online because we follow a very unique way of preparing and eating the starch; with no fat added to it and using only sweet/salty condiments added and the rest of the diet is dairy free. Starch and dairy don't work for starchivores. It's also time consuming to be a starchivore. I've met people who stayed at a health clinic who serves a starch based diet and they have bad reactions for a few days. It's not until they keep eating it, day after day that the symptoms go away and they can eat it with no problems, so long as they stick to the diet. As soon as they go off and have some cheese or something else, they can no longer eat starch without symptoms and they have to reset. As you said, you had potatoes for the first time in a long time.

Last edited:

Parsifal

If you have such a bad reaction to starch then the "Peat" view would be simply don't consume it. A true "Peat" diet would be no starch and your carbohydrate sources would be fruit and lactose. If you don't do dairy then that's no lactose so no starch and no lactose leaves you with fruit as your only carbohydrate. Refined sugars such as cane sugar, honey, maple syrup etc., should only be used as condiments and not as a main daily calorie source. Some people add cane sugar to milk but again, if one didn't do dairy then there is no milk to add sucrose to. Peat's view is that if you're going to eat starch then it should be with some butter or hydrogenated coconut oil but if you tried that and still had the bad reaction then the same response would be just don't eat it. People who thrive off of high starch diets are "McDougaller's" or followers of Freelee the Banana Girl's "Raw Til 4" diet so those people are in a different context than "Peatarians." Starch based diets only work in my personal experience and the many starchivores that I follow online because we follow a very unique way of preparing and eating the starch; with no fat added to it and using only sweet/salty condiments added and the rest of the diet is dairy free. Starch and dairy don't work for starchivores. It's also time consuming to be a starchivore. I've met people who stayed at a health clinic who serves a starch based diet and they have bad reactions for a few days. It's not until they keep eating it, day after day that the symptoms go away and they can eat it with no problems, so long as they stick to the diet. As soon as they go off and have some cheese or something else, they can no longer eat starch without symptoms and they have to reset. As you said, you had potatoes for the first time in a long time.
I have the same problem as jayegray but your approach is interesting as I feel better since stopping dairy. I will maybe try to add starch back as I was forced to eat too much pure sugar and I guess this also increases serotonin due to too much insulin.
When I was a fruitarian, I had also this problem of runny nose, fatigue and drugged feeling (and peeling skin on the fingers and flaky dandruff one or two days after) and was eating nothing but fruits and no sugar and salt but maybe I've never tried to adapt like you said.

Are you cautious with food combinations? Like eating your fruits before the starch because it is digested easier to prevent fermentation?

Jayfish

Starch = elevated serotonin. For some reason serotonin must mess with your pupil dilation as well as the other negative side effects.

Makrosky

Wonderful. Thanks for this West!!!
I am wondering what's the reason behind the no fat with the starch rule???? And why no lactose and starch???

zooma

Would like to see what your diet is like now West. I was under the impression you still ate dairy and animal products, just low fat.

Uselis

As a coincidence I went dairy free for half a week or so. My sinusus cleared immediately and I can eat a lot of potatoes without gas now.

Derek

I've met people who stayed at a health clinic who serves a starch based diet and they have bad reactions for a few days. It's not until they keep eating it, day after day that the symptoms go away and they can eat it with no problems, so long as they stick to the diet. As soon as they go off and have some cheese or something else, they can no longer eat starch without symptoms and they have to reset.

Why would you want to replicate a clinical diet in the real world? Seems incredibly rigid, and BTW the Kempner diet and similar diets were temporary diets; they weren't meant to be continued indefinitely. Your diet should make you strong and resilient. If just one glass of milk or piece of cheese throws your health into a tailspin, then you really need to assess if your base diet of starch is really as good for you as you think it is. It looks to me like a high starch diet can in many cases compromise health to the point of having reactions to minor foodstuffs, like the example you referenced.

Are you cautious with food combinations? Like eating your fruits before the starch because it is digested easier to prevent fermentation?

It’s not so much the combinations as it is the residual bacteria/other elements from foods in the gut that remain while eating multiple foods. If one eats cheese even as a snack once a week, that is enough to keep bacteria from cheese in the gut indefinitely because one week is not enough time for them to be removed. I don’t find a meal of any fruit combined with a starch at the same time appetizing so I don’t combine them at the same meals. I like mono meals. I don’t think fermentation is an issue with a fruit and starch based diet. The problem comes in when people add other things and don’t stay consistent. That is if it gives you a problem. Some can eat a bit of cheese on a starched based diet and be fine. But the ones who are having the most success are strict about it. There are also other factors besides the gut bacteria. A certain food might cause a problem outside of the gut such as rheumatoid arthritis or hypertension.

Wonderful. Thanks for this West!!!
I am wondering what's the reason behind the no fat with the starch rule???? And why no lactose and starch???

Because when one is eating starch everyday, adding fat to it would be too many daily fat calories which can lead to body fat gain and blood sugar issues. As Guyanet, who eats a starch based diet points out : “Regarding your dairy fat question, I suppose it depends on your current weight/health and your goals. I think the main issue here is calorie density. Calorie-dense foods tend to lead to eating more calories, which leads to fat gain and metabolic problems. So although I eat dairy fat, I typically eat it in the context of yogurt rather than butter and cheese. I tend to think added fat is best minimized unless your goal is weight gain. Added fats have very little nutritional value, and we know they can increase calorie intake without a proportional increase in satiety.”

He does add enough fat to his starch to make it appetizing for him but he’s still aware of the problems with too much fat. Others who eat a starch based diet add avocados sometimes. So besides dairy fat and olive oil, there are really no other appetizing fats to add to starch. Would you eat potatoes with cacao butter or a nut butter? I guess you could but it seems gross. Potatoes with coconut oil don’t taste good to me either.

It’s not just lactose that is in dairy. There is casein and other elements. The point I was making is that the people who are having the most success as starchivores are dairy free which indicates a problem with mixing the two. Not everyone will react badly to it. I personally can eat dairy and starch and I will not have a bad reaction. The only problem with dairy for me is enlarged adipose tissue and gas but the gas is minor and I don’t react like the OP.

Would like to see what your diet is like now West. I was under the impression you still ate dairy and animal products, just low fat.

I occasionally eat this brand of yogurt. But I don’t react badly to it. Cheese does give me gas. But that is the only dairy product I currently consume and it’s not a lot. Lean meats don’t cause gas for me. The problem is the cheese.

As a coincidence I went dairy free for half a week or so. My sinusus cleared immediately and I can eat a lot of potatoes without gas now.

I even eat beans with no gas which was a huge surprise at first.

Why would you want to replicate a clinical diet in the real world? Seems incredibly rigid, and BTW the Kempner diet and similar diets were temporary diets; they weren't meant to be continued indefinitely. Your diet should make you strong and resilient. If just one glass of milk or piece of cheese throws your health into a tailspin, then you really need to assess if your base diet of starch is really as good for you as you think it is. It looks to me like a high starch diet can in many cases compromise health to the point of having reactions to minor foodstuffs, like the example you referenced.

It says something about the dairy/fried foods/junk foods for those people, not the starch, it’s the other way around. Some need to be rigid because their problems are that bad. The pain and suffering makes them change. I met people like this when I visited the clinic I mentioned and when you meet them in person you see how real it is. There's no more screwing around. They have to change because they are debilitated from poor nutrition and lifestyle. The True North diet is not the same as the Kempner diet. It’s much more nutritious and appetizing. You don't get to eat a soup like this on the Kemper diet. All of the people who are sick and overweight from dietary excess (food choices, not individual genetic diseases) did not get that way by eating soup like that everyday. People like this woman are stopping their problems from getting worse by eating what most would call a bland diet. These two people as well. Good food starts to taste good when your taste adjusts and health results from healthful living, there are no shortcuts. Those people made poor dietary choices for years and when the pain and suffering got too bad they finally changed. Of course not everyone has to eat such a diet. But if you have problems and you're suffering, then you just might be willing to try anything, even a bland diet.

Last edited:

Makrosky

It’s not so much the combinations as it is the residual bacteria/other elements from foods in the gut that remain while eating multiple foods. If one eats cheese even as a snack once a week, that is enough to keep bacteria from cheese in the gut indefinitely because one week is not enough time for them to be removed. I don’t find a meal of any fruit combined with a starch at the same time appetizing so I don’t combine them at the same meals. I like mono meals. I don’t think fermentation is an issue with a fruit and starch based diet. The problem comes in when people add other things and don’t stay consistent. That is if it gives you a problem. Some can eat a bit of cheese on a starched based diet and be fine. But the ones who are having the most success are strict about it. There are also other factors besides the gut bacteria. A certain food might cause a problem outside of the gut such as rheumatoid arthritis or hypertension.

Because when one is eating starch everyday, adding fat to it would be too many daily fat calories which can lead to body fat gain and blood sugar issues. As Guyanet, who eats a starch based diet points out : “Regarding your dairy fat question, I suppose it depends on your current weight/health and your goals. I think the main issue here is calorie density. Calorie-dense foods tend to lead to eating more calories, which leads to fat gain and metabolic problems. So although I eat dairy fat, I typically eat it in the context of yogurt rather than butter and cheese. I tend to think added fat is best minimized unless your goal is weight gain. Added fats have very little nutritional value, and we know they can increase calorie intake without a proportional increase in satiety.”

He does add enough fat to his starch to make it appetizing for him but he’s still aware of the problems with too much fat. Others who eat a starch based diet add avocados sometimes. So besides dairy fat and olive oil, there are really no other appetizing fats to add to starch. Would you eat potatoes with cacao butter or a nut butter? I guess you could but it seems gross. Potatoes with coconut oil don’t taste good to me either.

It’s not just lactose that is in dairy. There is casein and other elements. The point I was making is that the people who are having the most success as starchivores are dairy free which indicates a problem with mixing the two. Not everyone will react badly to it. I personally can eat dairy and starch and I will not have a bad reaction. The only problem with dairy for me is enlarged adipose tissue and gas but the gas is minor and I don’t react like the OP.

I occasionally eat this brand of yogurt. But I don’t react badly to it. Cheese does give me gas. But that is the only dairy product I currently consume and it’s not a lot. Lean meats don’t cause gas for me. The problem is the cheese.

I even eat beans with no gas which was a huge surprise at first.

It says something about the dairy/fried foods/junk foods for those people, not the starch, it’s the other way around. Some need to be rigid because their problems are that bad. The pain and suffering makes them change. I met people like this when I visited the clinic I mentioned and when you meet them in person you see how real it is. There's no more screwing around. They have to change because they are debilitated from poor nutrition and lifestyle. The True North diet is not the same as the Kempner diet. It’s much more nutritious and appetizing. You don't get to eat a soup like this on the Kemper diet. All of the people who are sick and overweight from dietary excess (food choices, not individual genetic diseases) did not get that way by eating soup like that everyday. People like this woman are stopping their problems from getting worse by eating what most would call a bland diet. These two people as well. Good food starts to taste good when your taste adjusts and health results from healthful living, there are no shortcuts. Those people made poor dietary choices for years and when the pain and suffering got too bad they finally changed. Of course not everyone has to eat such a diet. But if you have problems and you're suffering, then you just might be willing to try anything, even a bland diet.

Thanks man. Much appreciated. I thought there was an intrinsic problem mixing starches with fat but it seems it's only about not eating that much calories. Btw : I love potatoes with CC oil :):

Peater Piper

I'd consider a diet of mostly milk and orange juice pretty clinical. There's people on here that rely mainly on juice and dairy that can't tolerate much fiber or any starch. I agree with you that a good diet should make you resilient, but when you're coming from a very compromised state it isn't that easy. I think most of us are just trying to find a way to get sufficient calories and micronutrients from food we can tolerate so we can start the healing process (which for some is loads of juice, or honey, or starch, or dairy). Some have found they can tolerate more variety as their health improves, others seem to become more intolerant. I don't know what the solution is.

jet9

Over the years I have had several SSRI's and everytime I was on them I would get this weird thing happen where my eyes would have uneven pupil dilation and when I stopped the medication it would go away, along with other terrible side effects.

So the other day I had a decent amount of starch for first time in a while from well cooked potatoes and about two hours later I was extremely tired and bloated and I noticed I had exactly the same thing with the uneven pupil dilation!

I couldn't believe that eating starch can create the same side effects as an SSRI.

I'm interested to know if anyone could explain this other than the obvious bacteria/serotonin/starch link.
interesting, i too have similar effects from potatoes. But sometimes it's calming effects are welcoming to combat overstimulation caused by fruits/honey.

michael94

interesting, i too have similar effects from potatoes. But sometimes it's calming effects are welcoming to combat overstimulation caused by fruits/honey.
sometimes I feel like the huge insulin surge and tiredness is therapeutic, at least as an emergency measure when things are not running optimally

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals