Weird : cypro has the opposite effect it's supposed to

BlackMolasses

I started taking cyproheptadine for sleep problems (insomnia) and by recommendation of ray peat and forum members.
It works well, but curiously it seems to trigger chronic anxiety, moreover my mood is not great, I want to listen to sad music and my confidence is bad, not motivated.
I don't have a sedation problem.

The majority of testimonials show a reversal of anxiety and an improvement in mood, which is where my astonishment comes from.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

Probably not the best idea to use if it's only for insomnia. It does mess a bit with dopamine. It antagonizes one of the dopamine receptors. I use it but not for insomnia but for high brain histamine levels. If you do not need it for that you will not feel good! If you must use it I found chocolate helps reverse the effects.

OP
BlackMolasses

BlackMolasses

Probably not the best idea to use if it's only for insomnia. It does mess a bit with dopamine. It antagonizes one of the dopamine receptors. I use it but not for insomnia but for high brain histamine levels. If you do not need it for that you will not feel good! If you must use it I found chocolate helps reverse the effects.
You're right, I'm probably low on baseline dopamine.
Unfortunately it is the only product that relaxes me enough to make me sleep 8 hours, otherwise I am subject to severe insomnia and I regularly have sleepless nights.
Melatonin and gabaergics (passionflower, valerian...) do nothing for me.

edit : i use 2mg per day

InChristAlone

You're right, I'm probably low on baseline dopamine.
Unfortunately it is the only product that relaxes me enough to make me sleep 8 hours, otherwise I am subject to severe insomnia and I regularly have sleepless nights.
Melatonin and gabaergics (passionflower, valerian...) do nothing for me.

edit : i use 2mg per day
I benefit from the lowest dose so 0.5 mg or less. Still great sleep.

Korven

I started taking cyproheptadine for sleep problems (insomnia) and by recommendation of ray peat and forum members.
It works well, but curiously it seems to trigger chronic anxiety, moreover my mood is not great, I want to listen to sad music and my confidence is bad, not motivated.
I don't have a sedation problem.

The majority of testimonials show a reversal of anxiety and an improvement in mood, which is where my astonishment comes from.

I also become an anxious wreck after taking cypro. Just feel weird and submissive and stressed out.

@redsun can probably explain this better, but I think through lowering histamine signalling cypro can lower androgens. And androgens are super important for stress resilience and overall feeling good, having "zest for life", etc. There is also an antagonistic relationship between histamine/adrenaline.

Interestingly, the first few times I took cypro I got great anti-stress, anti-serotonin effects. Now my body has gotten used to cypro and I only get bad side effects.

I would focus on good nutrition, good circardian rhythms, eliminating irritating foods/gut health, improving thyroid function, to fix your insomnia. Just eating 1 "bad" food can wreck your sleep.

Last edited:
OP
BlackMolasses

BlackMolasses

I also become an anxious wreck after taking cypro. Just feel weird and submissive and stressed out.

@redsun can probably explain this better, but I think through lowering histamine signalling cypro can lower androgens. And androgens are super important for stress resilience and overall feeling good, having "zest for life", etc. There is also an antagonistic relationship between histamine/adrenaline.

Interestingly, the first few times I took cypro I got great anti-stress, anti-serotonin effects. Now my body has gotten used to cypro and I only get bad side effects.

I would focus on good nutrition, good circardian rhythms, eliminating irritating foods/gut health, improving thyroid function, to fix your insomnia. Just eating 1 "bad" food can wreck your sleep.
Exactly that, however the reason can't be androgens since I'm on TRT and have monstrous levels of testosterone.
It may be low serotonin, serotonin can compensate for low dopamine.

Validus

I took cyproheptadine because I believed I was suffering from or something similar to Cushings disease. Ironically, I felt great taking up to 4mg's, spread out throughout the waking day. It made me feel much calmer and more focused.

I'm on TRT, so perhaps that protected my androgenic status.

I will say however that it absolutely destroys my ability to sleep well. Based on my experience and Oura ring, I get less total sleep, wake more often and both my REM and deep sleep are cut down by 50% each.

I also start getting diminishing returns, where I stop "feeling" the same dose as if I've become desensitized.

I'll then need to stop taking it to return to "normal" sleep and I'll feel shittier for a couple of days without cypro. I get the sense that my body increases cortisol/serotonin levels or upregulates cortisol/serotonin receptors to compensate for the cypro usage, but this is just a theory.

After feeling shitty for a couple of days without using cypro, my sleep returns to normal.

Too bad, because it really makes me feel much calmer during the day.

JamesGatz

Cypro tanks DHT/Dopamine

When you lower serotonin usually => T converts to DHT and rises with Dopamine

when you take Cypro => antagonizes Dopamine/Histamine => you lower serotonin but you also crash your androgens/dopamine

Thats why I think Cypro is dangerous and should not be taken - it's a double-edged sword and not worth the damage it causes in my view

OP
BlackMolasses

BlackMolasses

Cypro tanks DHT/Dopamine

When you lower serotonin usually => T converts to DHT and rises with Dopamine

when you take Cypro => antagonizes Dopamine/Histamine => you lower serotonin but you also crash your androgens/dopamine

Thats why I think Cypro is dangerous and should not be taken - it's a double-edged sword and not worth the damage it causes in my view
wouldn't histamine itself have a stimulating and "androgenic" effect?

OP
BlackMolasses

BlackMolasses

SURE YOU DON'T GERMAN TRUTHER

HURRY UP AND MAKE ANOTHER WEIRD THREAD SO WE CAN LAUGH AT YOUR WEIRD PERSONALITY - WE WANT TO SEE YOU DO ANOTHER TRICK - DO ANOTHER TRICK DOGGY
I only made one other topic about the personality of some people I knew personally, asking if behaviors were related to a certain balance of neurotransmitters, I like to study people, what causes this or that type of physique or personality etc.

If rather than writing your shitty ad personam attack you had looked at my account you would have seen that I am French, not "German".

JamesGatz

I only made one other topic about the personality of some people I knew personally, asking if behaviors were related to a certain balance of neurotransmitters, I like to study people, what causes this or that type of physique or personality etc.

If rather than writing your shitty ad personam attack you had looked at my account you would have seen that I am French, not "German".
OH YEA THE OLD CHANGE YOUR LOCATION TRICK YOU PUT ON ALL YOUR ACCOUNTS 🤣🤣🤣

TRY HARDER GERMAN TRUTHER - I CAN LITERALLY SPOT ONE OF YOUR ACCOUNTS JUST BY HOW WEIRD YOU ARE TRY HARDER DOGGY

OP
BlackMolasses

BlackMolasses

OH YEA L'ANCIEN CHANGEZ VOTRE ASTUCE DE LOCALISATION QUE VOUS METTEZ SUR TOUS VOS COMPTES🤣🤣🤣

ESSAYEZ PLUS DUR GERMAN TRUTHER - JE PEUX LITTÉRALEMENT REPERER UN DE VOS COMPTES JUSTE PAR COMMENT VOUS ÊTES BIZARRE ESSAYEZ PLUS DUR DOGGY
@Bogdar Je sais que tu es sur le M&N, je t'ai spotted en tombant sur ton problème d'infection après le lait, comme t'es co en ce moment dit lui que c'est une preuve suffisante s'il te plait. Ca commence à me taper sur le système vue que c'est la deuxième fois qu'on me compare à ce type juste pour un poste:coup de poing:

OP
BlackMolasses

BlackMolasses

OH YEA THE OLD CHANGE YOUR LOCATION TRICK YOU PUT ON ALL YOUR ACCOUNTS 🤣🤣🤣

TRY HARDER GERMAN TRUTHER - I CAN LITERALLY SPOT ONE OF YOUR ACCOUNTS JUST BY HOW WEIRD YOU ARE TRY HARDER DOGGY
@Bogdar Je sais que tu es sur le M&N, je t'ai spotted en tombant sur ton problème d'infection après le lait, comme t'es co en ce moment dit lui que c'est une preuve suffisante s'il te plait. Ca commence à me taper sur le système vue que c'est la deuxième fois qu'on me compare à ce type juste pour un poste :punch:

JamesGatz

@Bogdar Je sais que tu es sur le M&N, je t'ai spotted en tombant sur ton problème d'infection après le lait, comme t'es co en ce moment dit lui que c'est une preuve suffisante s'il te plait. Ca commence à me taper sur le système vue que c'est la deuxième fois qu'on me compare à ce type juste pour un poste :punch:
BRINGING OUT THE OLD GOOGLE TRANSLATE HUH

THATS GOOD GERMAN TRUTHER - NOW YOU'RE PUTTING IN SOME REAL EFFORT TO STAY HIDDEN - IF YOU TRY A LITTLE HARDER YOU MIGHT FOOL SOME OF THE OTHER MEMBERS

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals