Weight (Muscle mass) Loss post-surgery

Doludolu

Hey people,

Had surgeries recently, therefore will have to stay passive for some time.
Do you have tips on how to preserve muscle mass during a period of about 2-3 weeks of no exercise, where I can't even do calisthenic exercises, such as lunges, squats, push-ups & etc?

The only thing I can do is some gentle stretching of the body and walking.

Any nutritional & lifestyle tips to preserve muscle mass and not waste it off ?

Thanks !

Meta

Hey people,

Had surgeries recently, therefore will have to stay passive for some time.
Do you have tips on how to preserve muscle mass during a period of about 2-3 weeks of no exercise, where I can't even do calisthenic exercises, such as lunges, squats, push-ups & etc?

The only thing I can do is some gentle stretching of the body and walking.

Any nutritional & lifestyle tips to preserve muscle mass and not waste it off ?

Thanks !
Keep your macros at around, or just above your maintenance amount. After 2-3 weeks you'll lose some strength but not necessarily LBM. Muscle memory will have you back to where you were once you resume training after a couple of weeks.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Protein intake doesn't really retain muscle mass when you can't lift. Lifting is the best and most important signal to retain muscle mass. Electrical stimulation is a great alternative. Blood flow restriction training is also great. Tie bands around your arms and legs and walk around. Maybe rucking or farmers walk with a light weight for about 5-10min. That will promote hormone release and help to retain muscle mass. Apply topical DHEA when doing that activity to supercharge it.

OP
Doludolu

Doludolu

Keep your macros at around, or just above your maintenance amount. After 2-3 weeks you'll lose some strength but not necessarily LBM. Muscle memory will have you back to where you were once you resume training after a couple of weeks.
Yeah, I guess protein intake is important.
Protein intake doesn't really retain muscle mass when you can't lift. Lifting is the best and most important signal to retain muscle mass. Electrical stimulation is a great alternative. Blood flow restriction training is also great. Tie bands around your arms and legs and walk around. Maybe rucking or farmers walk with a light weight for about 5-10min. That will promote hormone release and help to retain muscle mass. Apply topical DHEA when doing that activity to supercharge it.
Thanks for the tips. So it's basically blood flow restriction training (know about it from Joseph Mercola), but don't have the gadgets. And rucking/farmers walk - is just simple walking with extra weights.. ?
DHEA applying - I'm not really into that, since it's a synthetic hormone. I don't really support putting / consuming extra hormones, which body is supposed to make it yourself. But thank you!

Hans

Forum Supporter
Yeah, I guess protein intake is important.

Thanks for the tips. So it's basically blood flow restriction training (know about it from Joseph Mercola), but don't have the gadgets. And rucking/farmers walk - is just simple walking with extra weights.. ?
DHEA applying - I'm not really into that, since it's a synthetic hormone. I don't really support putting / consuming extra hormones, which body is supposed to make it yourself. But thank you!
Yes, tie any cloth around your limb to restrict blood flow, throw 5-10kg into a backpack and go for a hike and/or farmers walk. Some people throw on a weight vest, drag a weighted sled, while doing farmers' walk.

OP
Doludolu

Doludolu

Yes, tie any cloth around your limb to restrict blood flow, throw 5-10kg into a backpack and go for a hike and/or farmers walk. Some people throw on a weight vest, drag a weighted sled, while doing farmers' walk.
Thank you, what an easy and effective strategy.