Weight Loss With No Thyroid Gland?

BruceD

Hi,

I have a friend and she is having much difficulty losing weight. She had a complete removal of her thyroid gland due to cancer. She was a keto dieter for years. This no longer is working for her. I want her to try some Ray Peat principles, but even with moderate carb intake she is gaining weight again.

I want her to try more carbs - to increase metabolic rate - but even at a moderate level she is already gaining weight. I am concerned that she will gain weight with this approach, and be stuck with the extra weight.

Currently she takes 120mg of Armour.

I have her taking B-1 (fat soluble), B-2, B-3, Calcium, all fat soluble vitamins. She is taking others, but I don't think they would have a role in fat loss (zinc, for instance).

Is there any special advice for someone like this (no thyroid gland)? Any tips, special diet considerations, supplements, pitfalls to be aware of, etc??

I have looked through the forum, and online, and don't see a lot of info for this special case.

Thanks for any input!

GelatinGoblin

Interesting case. Bump. My father's mother has a fully or maybe partially removed Thyroid and is on synthetic Thyroid. I think she isn't very slim but not too fat, just kinda healthy chubby. But she's an older Russian or Greek woman and it suits her well actually. She has great health otherwise. I don't think anything much changes from the removal of the Thyroid if they are on Thyroid hormones, massively generalising.
How is her metabolic rate now? Cold hands? Insomnia or requiring a lot of time to feel rested from sleep? Does she look cold in general? Temps?

Last edited:

GelatinGoblin

I think have her reading herself his literature, although I don't know if this applies to her, also having her as a member would be more helpful, as generally as I have seen on this forum it requires fine tuning and adjusting; especially if her health or metabolic health isn't great even when on Thyroid. I'm not the most knowledgeable member by far so I don't know much about helping a female and especially one without a Thyroid, so I'm hoping more people tune in.

OP
B

BruceD

Metabolic rate is slow. She eats very little to stop gaining weight. Temp is low, but she says it has always been low. She has insomnia, but usually falls asleep quickly but awakens in the middle of the night and has difficulty falling asleep again.

Risingfire

I believe Ray has stated full replacement for thyroid is 5 grains. Looks like she is taking 2

GelatinGoblin

So here's what I recommend: Up daily intake of sugar, eliminate PUFA. Generally what I've seen is that Sugar init of itself isn't fattening, but the common combo of PUFA and Sugar is.
Before bed, if she can digest it, Milk 3% or full, warm (not in a microwave but in a pot), so she has a steady supply of amino-acids (Caesin absorbs and digests fairly slowly), with some (not in the milk) Orange Juice or (in the milk) White Sugar or (in the Milk) honey; although some have trouble digesting non-white honey (which is without many allergens, but pretty expensive and not readily available, tastes amazing though) or certain brands of honey, as I have experienced myself recently. The sugar or honey should be put in the milk once it's cooled down a bit (room temp-30~C) (otherwise certain Carcinogens form from heated sugar). When she wakes up at night her Glycogen stores are low enough to where she needs stress hormones to make Glycogen available. If she does wake up at night, Orange Juice, maybe milk. Or Amino-Acids are low in the blood so Adrenaline or Cortisol has to break down some muscle, maybe another pathway which requires it.
Sugar from washed Dates, Milk, Honey (if she can digest it), Orange Juice, Ripe fruit (except Bananas and Avocados), maybe White Sugar when stress.
Protein throughout the day and increase intake from: Gelatin (Beef; Oxtail, Calf muscles, some shoulder muscles, maybe Heart), semi-soft or fully boiled Egg yolks (Max 3 a day), ground beef maybe, Oysters if available, Milk, Beef Steaks, Beef Heart.
Carrot Salad or just Coconut Oil with Carrots ; Endotoxin, depletes Glycogen impared Liver function Serotogenic Estrogenic etc etc.

Come back if she can or can't digest milk. Maybe tell her to up to 3,000 Cals daily minimum. Maybe tell her to walk after a meal, simulates a high metabolism for digestion. Carbs maybe from Buckwheat with some Butter and salt also. Maybe more morning sunlight, throughout the day sunlight through windows or direct, avoid darkness.
Red light.
I wish her well. Post above me is relevant

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals