Weight Loss Suggestions.

lindsay

Hello All! I'm new to the forum and a few months into adapting my diet to Peat's principles. I was dieting for months before discovering a serious health problem that required surgery - the whole incident made me rethink health, nutrition and dieting. I had lost quite a bit of weight (and killed my metabolism in the process) and gained most of it back when I started "Peat" eating: started eating meat (mostly gelatin) after years of being vegetarian and rarely eating good sources of protein, sugar & carbs (fruits, honey, fructose, etc.), RAW milk and some saturated fats and now I want to try to lose that weight I regained the healthy way and lean up a bit.

My question is, what has worked for you all? I'm quite active - I swim about 5 days a week, walk and do a bit of yoga. I've avoided weight training thus far because I tend to gain muscle weight very rapidly and I want to LEAN out from the bulky manner in which my body gains muscle. Also want to drop some of the fat I've regained.

How many grams of carbs, protein, fat, etc. should I be shooting for a day to maintain my regained healthy metabolism? I know this varies from person to person (I'm female, btw), but I think I'm somewhere between 130 - 135 lbs. currently and 5'6" tall. I'd like to get down to about 125 lbs. or even 120, but don't want to sacrifice good healthy practices to do so. I just feel better at a thinner size - less joint pain, achy muscles, not such bulging thigh muscles ;) etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated! I know I need to cut down on fat consumption, but don't know what's an acceptable level (gram numbers?)..... currently, I have access to local grass-fed whole RAW milk, so I don't want to sacrifice that - it's affordable and the best option one can ask for! I suppose I can skim some of the cream off the top.....

Jenn

A friend of mine lost her "extra" 5-10 lbs just by adding some cream of tartar and sugar to her milk twice per day.

I am slightly shorter than you (5'4") and would be underweight at less than 130 lbs when bike riding.

If the bulging muscles is edema, then the extra potassium and sugar will lean it out. If the bulging muscles is because you are bike riding, then you would have to cut out the bike riding to loose the extra muscle.

Achy muscles is overstressed muscles and probably indicating lactic acid build up as well. Aspirin and or baking soda before you ride is supposed to help that.

messtafarian

Aha:

Diuretic Effect

In "A Treatise on the practice of medicine" published in 1847, Drs. Eberle, Grigg and Elliot extolled the usefulness of cream of tartar as a diuretic. The text of the treatise states that it was used for treatment of a condition then known as "dropsy" or edema. In modern medicine, the use of cream of tartar for diuresis has been replaced by formal diuretic medications such as hydrochlorothiazide, or HCTZ, lasix, and aldactone. In reading physician treatises regarding cream of tartar, the extent to which medical science has advanced within the past 100 years is readily apparent.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/26919 ... z2dP6Jlin3

Jenn

That article is dated and incorrect. Current RDA of potassium is a minimum of 3500 mg, not 2000 mg. 1 tsp of cream of tartar is 500 mg, not 5000 mg.

In my personal experience, it takes about 10 times as much cream of tartar as epsom salts to produce the equivalent laxative effect. If you are deficient, catching up, there is little laxative effect, as it only dumps "excess." If you are already "caught up" and are just maintaining, then it probably will, especially adding it to OJ or something already high in potassium. Adding it to bread will NOT produce a laxative effect, because grains are innately lower in potassium.

If you are TRYING to have a BM, take a large dose all at once. If you are trying to absorb the potassium, a little bit through out is far more effective.

Bluebell

Hi Lindsay, if you are still there, we've got a weight loss thread going. If you fancy joining you'd be extremely welcome :D

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2159

It's just a bunch of us trying to lose a few pounds.

messtafarian

Hi Jenn:

I wasn't really referring to the rest of the article -- only that cream of tartar has a diuretic effect. Which makes sense, since potassium has a diuretic effect. I've been reading a lot about potassium lately in connection to my high blood pressure -- the most therapeutic protocol there is for high blood pressure is to increase the ratio of potassium in relation to sodium. I dont think there is anything wrong with a diuretic effect for weight loss at all, provided the water stays off. :)