Weight Loss Side-Effects Mitigated by Peat Strategies

cmdshiftdel

I'm looking to lose around 20 lbs and have around 8 months to do so before my wedding. In a perfect world I could heal my metabolism and hypothyroid issues before then and shed the weight, but I suspect it will take a lot longer than that even if eating perfectly Peat and supplementing with progest & thyroid.

I have decided for my mental sanity (I simply do not feel good at this weight) I would like to embark on a hybrid of Peat - namely adding aerobic exercise and weight lifting in addition to a Peat diet and supplementation schedule (I currently use progest on days 12-26 of my cycle and have ordered cynomel to try). I understand the deleterious effects of aerobic exercise as well as the release of PUFA's usually to be avoided at all costs - but my question is what Peat strategies would minimize the damage caused by exercise? Aspirin? Thyroid?

Is there a short term strategy that could be employed that would minimize damage to metabolism but still allow for weight loss? Has anyone had success with this, or any weight loss while following Peat?

I am also thinking about restricting calories to around 1500-1800 cals per day (I'm a 5'10 female, weighing 160 lbs now).

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

jaguar43

isabella83 said:
I'm looking to lose around 20 lbs and have around 8 months to do so before my wedding. In a perfect world I could heal my metabolism and hypothyroid issues before then and shed the weight, but I suspect it will take a lot longer than that even if eating perfectly Peat and supplementing with progest & thyroid.

I have decided for my mental sanity (I simply do not feel good at this weight) I would like to embark on a hybrid of Peat - namely adding aerobic exercise and weight lifting in addition to a Peat diet and supplementation schedule (I currently use progest on days 12-26 of my cycle and have ordered cynomel to try). I understand the deleterious effects of aerobic exercise as well as the release of PUFA's usually to be avoided at all costs - but my question is what Peat strategies would minimize the damage caused by exercise? Aspirin? Thyroid?

Is there a short term strategy that could be employed that would minimize damage to metabolism but still allow for weight loss? Has anyone had success with this, or any weight loss while following Peat?

I am also thinking about restricting calories to around 1500-1800 cals per day (I'm a 5'10 female, weighing 160 lbs now).

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

How long have you been trying his recommendations ?

How do you know your are hypothyroid ?

Have you done blood work ? ( if you could/can afford it)

5'10 at 160 seems like a good weight, your bmi is around 23 %. I would say thats normal,

Cynomel is a prescription drug, Its not to be use without doing research. Understanding that if anything happens, you are responsible. Not Ray, not anyone on this forum. People have used it with results, other not. ( I am only saying this because you are new and I don't know how much research you have done)

aerobic is good for losing weight. Doesn't mean its fat Could be muscle and/or tissue. It lowers t3 an t4 to almost to none. I do not recommend it. Plus this it will release pufa's depending how much you have eaten in the past.

My personal experience is to try the food recommendations first, then supplements. By taking to many supplements together, you cannot understand the reactions and symptoms because your guessing.

The weight game, as I call it. I get it you want to look good, but don't go crazy over it. If it works out, thats great. If it doesn't don't sweat it.

Mittir

8 month is plenty of time to loose 20 lbs without crashing metabolism if you are
in relatively good health. If you have low body temperature then just increasing
body temperature will help loose weight. Only exercise RP recommends is
concentric exercise. There are concentric routine in weight lifting.
You can also get a better physique without loosing weight but replacing
fat with muscle. This happens often with people who follows peat style eating.
I have gained toned muscle without ever doing a second of exercise or weight lifting.
I also lost 14 lbs in 3 weeks when i completely switched to sugar from sugar+starch .
I was following all other peat recommendations except for having good amount of starch.
It is well known that rapid weight loss is very bad for metabolism, especially liver.
I had elevated liver numbers for months. Those are normal now.
Check your Temperature and resting pulse rate 2 hours after breakfast and see how it changes
with diet. If you post your daily intake of food it would be easier to see if you are following
RP recommendations accurately.
80 grams of protein (Mostly Milk, cheese, some beef , low fat fish and gelatin )
Sugar( OJ, Fruits, Milk,Honey, table sugar), high calcium 1200-2000 mg with phosphorus
level equal or less than calcium, Weekly serving of beef liver (3-6 oz), weekly serving of
seafood or other selenium rich food and daily raw carrot salad have been helpful for me to
have healthy metabolism.
Natural vitamin E mixed tocopherol helps with PUFA release.
500 watts of regular incandescent light from sunset to bed time
and 8 hours of deep sleep are two simple way to improve metabolism and health.
Regular sunlight or Vitamin D3 is essential for good metabolism.

J

j.

In an interview about weight loss, in some part Ray Peat advises frequent feedings of coconut oil. I was also reading amazon and iherb reviews about MCT oil. It seems there are tons of people who used it successfully.

Rapid weight loss is also bad for thyroid function.

OP
cmdshiftdel

cmdshiftdel

Thanks for all the responses!

@ Mittir - 14lbs lost in 3 weeks just from switching to sugar from sugar & starch sounds amazing! Were you able to keep the results after adding back some starch or have you maintained yourself on sugar only?

@ j - I add about 1/2 packet of gelatin and 1/2 tsp of coconut oil to my daily two coffees (I use a blender and it tastes great). I do notice an immediate effect in regards to body temperature when compared to just coffee + cream&sugar. Hopefully in the long run this will translate to a leaner version of me.

@ jag2594 - I have been tested for hypothyroid and just make it on the low end range of "normal", which really when I look at my symptoms make me feel I need to give supplementation a try. Do you feel that once you start supplementing with Cynomel that you have to keep taking it for the rest of your life or can it be used to jump start a lazy thyroid, if diet is appropriate?

I will say that I am pleasantly surprised that I can drink and eat sugar without gaining the butt-loads of weight I thought I would. I am now at 156.6 lbs right now (which is 3.4 lbs less than a few days ago and I feel like the only change I made was eating more). I plan on tracking my diet and weight closely and adding in just some weight exercises, a little more walking, and 1 or 2max short 4 minute HIIT sprints a week because sometimes I just feel like running. When/if my cynomel ever gets here, I plan on introducing that in very very very small doses at first and will keep you posted.

gretchen

Hi Isabella83,
I would just like to add that cardio is likely to damage your health in the long run. If you can keep from running or raising your heart rate, definitely do. HIIT can have thyroid-inhibiting effects; I did a lot of short-burst workouts a few years ago (and even last summer when I first started Peating) but had to stop due to the crashing fatigue. I've switched to walking which seems to work just as well as cardio for weight-loss. I've also been doing Pilates for shape and tone the last 6 months and really recommend it. It's not nearly as tiring as other workouts and does definitely produce results.

I've also had good results with calcium supplements. I've used a generic calcium citrate that I got at Target; I take it with OJ for maximum absorption. The body can only absorb 500 mg at a time so if you do supplement remember to take it in divided doses.

OP
cmdshiftdel

cmdshiftdel

Hi Gretchen,
I was hoping someone would comment about the HIIT. Thing is I work from home and have a gym with an elliptical in another room. Sometimes after hours of looking at the computer screen I need to do SOMETHING physical and as much as I want to run away screaming I can't leave my work for too long so I'd like to go use the elliptical. I don't have time for long walks and the heat in Florida right now is unbearable. Do you think 4 minutes of HIIT, which is exactly what I mentally need to get my stress in check, would damage my metabolism or would such a small amount go unnoticed? What's the official Peat stance on this? I'm already planning on doing some weight training, but hadn't thought of Pilates - will have to get a video or something to get started.

mvlittle

Hi All,
So you are saying that the combination of starch and sugar is not good for weight loss but sugar only is?

Maryellen

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals