Weight Loss/Ray Peat Results

natedawggh

...I have decided to reveal my identity since the visual results of my journey are so profound. On the left is me during 4th of July 2015 (after already Peating and sober for 5 months) at the right is me at Christmas 2015. Please search my posts if you'd like advice, I've chronicled most of it and my most recent posts/ideas are the most accurate. I had many health issues besides weight that have all been improved or fixed as well.

I still don't gym or exercise, having achieved all this purely through diet. Obviously the photo only shows the outward changes. I went to the gym 15 times all of last year (and haven't been for three weeks). I do like concentric weight lifting, but as my health continues to improve I'll probably only do it once a week.

My previous post on weight loss:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6217

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 2,271

Peata

Awesome, looks great - thanks for sharing. I'm glad you found success.

Lilac

Great results! Congratulations!

I am the female version of where you were in your before picture. I need to lose anywhere from 10 to 20. But even 5 would be nice. I am going to get serious (again) with the shrimp and scallops, focus on cutting way down on the starch, and eating a bit less.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Lilac said:
Great results! Congratulations!

I am the female version of where you were in your before picture. I need to lose anywhere from 10 to 20. But even 5 would be nice. I am going to get serious (again) with the shrimp and scallops, focus on cutting way down on the starch, and eating a bit less.

Protein before bed (I use casein) and Potatoes are really important. Don't cut all starch just grain starch. If you eat too much less (calorie deprivation) your stress hormones rise and you won't lose weight.

Weight gain is basically a function of endotoxin on the liver. To combat it you have to reduce body iron levels so stomach bacteria don't grow so dramatically, then get enough protein and carbs so your body can repair, heal, and create plenty of good hormones. A deficit of carbs, protein, or calories sets off stress hormones that inflame the liver and encourage bacterial overgrowth.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Kaspar_Hauser said:
post 119209 Good job ! :clap:
How do you eat your potatoes ?

Baked with lots of butter, salt, & sour cream. Mashed with generous butter and cream & salt. Sliced thin and fried in coconut oil (for crispier chip par boil first).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

I would also like to point out the obvious, that weight loss/health improvements are IMPOSSIBLE in the presence of alcohol. It is entirely toxic with no beneficial properties, and I would hesitate to agree that anyone who drinks it can say they are on a Ray Peat inspired diet. I was doing a lot of these things before I stopped drinking, and hardly saw any improvements in health. It was not until I stopped drinking altogether that I saw cumulative gains in health and wellness.

Alcohol is estrogenic, and consuming it causes a huge cascade of stress and estrogenic hormones. This is especially pronounced in Men, but don't kid yourself into thinking you can drink in moderation and see positive Peat results. It won't happen.

If you find the idea of giving up alcohol alarming, there are great support groups you can join for friendship, fun, and personal growth. I am part of one and through it I learned how to enjoy life and relax without the aid of alcohol.

T

tobieagle

natedawggh said:
post 119266 I would also like to point out the obvious, that weight loss/health improvements are IMPOSSIBLE in the presence of alcohol. It is entirely toxic with no beneficial properties, and I would hesitate to agree that anyone who drinks it can say they are on a Ray Peat inspired diet. I was doing a lot of these things before I stopped drinking, and hardly saw any improvements in health. It was not until I stopped drinking altogether that I saw cumulative gains in health and wellness.

Alcohol is estrogenic, and consuming it causes a huge cascade of stress and estrogenic hormones. This is especially pronounced in Men, but don't kid yourself into thinking you can drink in moderation and see positive Peat results. It won't happen.

If you find the idea of giving up alcohol alarming, there are great support groups you can join for friendship, fun, and personal growth. I am part of one and through it I learned how to enjoy life and relax without the aid of alcohol.

Interesting that you are so keen on the alcohol factor.
How exactely looked your alcohol consumption if I may ask?

Personally I don't notice any big impacts from a night of drinking anymore since my liver is running properly.
I only drink vodka with orange juice or energy though.
After a good breakfast with a coffee and a bit of T3 in the morning I am right back to baseline.

Lilac

Protein before bed (I use casein) and Potatoes are really important. Don't cut all starch just grain starch. If you eat too much less (calorie deprivation) your stress hormones rise and you won't lose weight.

Weight gain is basically a function of endotoxin on the liver. To combat it you have to reduce body iron levels so stomach bacteria don't grow so dramatically, then get enough protein and carbs so your body can repair, heal, and create plenty of good hormones. A deficit of carbs, protein, or calories sets off stress hormones that inflame the liver and encourage bacterial overgrowth.

I don't think I'll be in danger of eating too little. :)

Per your advice, I will cut back on the rice and tortillas (those are the only grains I eat) and go with potatoes.

What do you suggest for the protein before bed? Also, what would you combine that with? Like, one cup of milk with one piece of fruit?

I have been having one glass of wine a week lately. I will cut that out.

Thanks for the feedback!

michael94

natedawggh said:
post 119266 I would also like to point out the obvious, that weight loss/health improvements are IMPOSSIBLE in the presence of alcohol. It is entirely toxic with no beneficial properties, and I would hesitate to agree that anyone who drinks it can say they are on a Ray Peat inspired diet. I was doing a lot of these things before I stopped drinking, and hardly saw any improvements in health. It was not until I stopped drinking altogether that I saw cumulative gains in health and wellness.

In most situations you are right, but...CONTEXT

In cultured brain cells, it was found that vitamin E and ethyl alcohol promote its [lipofuscin] disappearance. Since alcohol's toxic effects largely derive from its interactions with unsaturated oils and iron, a small amound of alcohol might be useful in clearing lipofuscin.

Lightbringer

Lilac said:
[
Per your advice, I will cut back on the rice and tortillas (those are the only grains I eat) and go with potatoes.

What do you suggest for the protein before bed? Also, what would you combine that with? Like, one cup of milk with one piece of fruit?
I think he mentions Casein before bed in an earlier post. I'd assume milk would work just as well to a casein powder.

@natedawggh, since you are one of the few verifiable (i'm going to get into trouble with some people for saying that :ninja ) cases of a 20 lb weight loss and more importantly 'waist loss' on a Peat friendly diet, could you list out what you eat at each meal with quantities if possible? From your previous posts, I see that Casein, Taurine, Caffeine, Potatoes etc played a big role, but an idea of how you incorporated these in to your diet throughout the day would be good to know. Also interested in the Cilantro theory as I personally seem to yo-yo in terms of inflammation - some days feeling great and can eat anything and some other days the full bloated feeling.

BastiFuntasty

Thumps up that's quite an impressive change for such a short time without exercising at all, congratulations :hattip

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Kaspar_Hauser said:
post 119298
Lilac said:
[

I think he mentions Casein before bed in an earlier post. I'd assume milk would work just as well to a casein powder.

@natedawggh, since you are one of the few verifiable (i'm going to get into trouble with some people for saying that :ninja ) cases of a 20 lb weight loss and more importantly 'waist loss' on a Peat friendly diet, could you list out what you eat at each meal with quantities if possible? From your previous posts, I see that Casein, Taurine, Caffeine, Potatoes etc played a big role, but an idea of how you incorporated these in to your diet throughout the day would be good to know. Also interested in the Cilantro theory as I personally seem to yo-yo in terms of inflammation - some days feeling great and can eat anything and some other days the full bloated feeling.

Yes Casein. Though Milk is a bit different because there is more tryptophan in the whey portion of milk. I ALWAYS get high serotonin symptoms (tension headaches/migraines/bloating) from milk, so I only use it in my coffee. A healthy person's metabolism is supposed to convert that tryptophan to niacin instead of serotonin.

Actually it's more like 40 lbs. I was 299 at my heaviest and a 42 waist (pushing 44). I am now 275 and a 36, with significant muscle mass gains. I am also 6'7" so I'm pretty sure I lost more than just 25 lbs of fat to have dropped so many pant sizes, and muscle weighs more than fat...etc. etc. especially since I'm so tall, that kind of waist shrinkage includes a significantly higher ratio of body fat for someone my height than a similar reduction in a short person. But that's an aside...

Today I woke up and ate some grapes and a glass of orange juice (with added magnesium chloride). I took a shower and prepared my casein protein shake, which is a shaker full of orange juice, tons of sugar, frozen berries, and 45 grams of protein. I also ate some kiwis and drank half my shake. AT work I cut and ate an entire cantaloupe and drank a venti red-eye from starbucks, while also snacking on dried pineapple from whole foods (it has sugar added). I went to whole foods and bought roast chicken and mashed potatoes and cooked squash, along with a ball of Mozzarella, for dessert I had dark chocolate truffles (careful not to buy chocolate with soy lecithin—it's in everything!). I ate about 3/4ths of that lunch (I save some for the evening so I don't have to do a separate dinner if it's during the week). In the evening I finished off my protein shake and my leftovers from lunch, with a hansen's cane sugar soda, a glass of orange juice, vanilla ice cream, and one scoop of my protein again with orange juice and sugar right at bedtime (plus a handful of grapes).

In any day I typically eat:

35-70 grams of Casein protein divided throughout the day (but ALWAYS a serving before bed).
Chicken
Potatoes
Lots of fruit (grapes, kiwis, melon, oranges, tomatoes, squash, cucumber)
Lots of cheese
Occasionally beef and pork, rarely eggs anymore (they also have high tryptophan)
Orange juice, natural sodas and carbonated beverages/carbonated mineral water
Chocolate
TONS of coffee
Oysters every Friday at Whole Foods are $1 each (and they shuck them for you).
Shrimp as I crave it
Ice Cream (without additives like soy lecithin, or gums).

Cilantro Iron chelation, if you look it up, will often be accompanied by the suggestion of chlorella, but chlorella is itself extremely high in iron and it is misleading. Cilantro for some reason powerfully chelates Iron. I've seen some hemochromatosis sufferers recommend it and I did experience a dramatic increase in weightless when I started to use it (though I had already experienced a reduction of 2 pant sizes). I feel like it sped up my weight loss by a factor of 2. So I lost in 6 months what would have taken a whole year (or not at all, if Iron levels truly are indicative of body fat, which I am inclined to agree).

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

...as you can see from the amount of sugar I ingest, according to mainstream ideas about sugar I should be gaining weight, not reducing it. In fact at first I did gain weight from sugar. I view it as formula in relation to iron.

Level of Iron + Level of Sugar = Amount of Fat gain

If you eat a lot of sugar and it converts to noticeable gains in fat, it means you have too high of iron. If you reduce Iron through cilantro, B1, phlebotomy, etc. You can eat sugar (real sugar, not HFCS) and it won't convert into unwanted body fat but will instead be oxidized as fuel.

If a state of unwanted weight gain is already your condition, generous amounts of the right kind of protein (amino acid ratios) is necessary to lose the weight, while again applying the sugar/iron formula to your body's reaction to sugar.

FredSonoma

natedawggh said:
Kaspar_Hauser said:
post 119298
Lilac said:
[

Yes Casein. Though Milk is a bit different because there is more tryptophan in the whey portion of milk. I ALWAYS get high serotonin symptoms (tension headaches/migraines/bloating) from milk, so I only use it in my coffee. A healthy person's metabolism is supposed to convert that tryptophan to niacin instead of serotonin.

Actually it's more like 40 lbs. I was 299 at my heaviest and a 42 waist (pushing 44). I am now 275 and a 36, with significant muscle mass gains. I am also 6'7" so I'm pretty sure I lost more than just 25 lbs of fat to have dropped so many pant sizes, and muscle weighs more than fat...etc. etc. especially since I'm so tall, that kind of waist shrinkage includes a significantly higher ratio of body fat for someone my height than a similar reduction in a short person. But that's an aside...

Today I woke up and ate some grapes and a glass of orange juice (with added magnesium chloride). I took a shower and prepared my casein protein shake, which is a shaker full of orange juice, tons of sugar, frozen berries, and 45 grams of protein. I also ate some kiwis and drank half my shake. AT work I cut and ate an entire cantaloupe and drank a venti red-eye from starbucks, while also snacking on dried pineapple from whole foods (it has sugar added). I went to whole foods and bought roast chicken and mashed potatoes and cooked squash, along with a ball of Mozzarella, for dessert I had dark chocolate truffles (careful not to buy chocolate with soy lecithin—it's in everything!). I ate about 3/4ths of that lunch (I save some for the evening so I don't have to do a separate dinner if it's during the week). In the evening I finished off my protein shake and my leftovers from lunch, with a hansen's cane sugar soda, a glass of orange juice, vanilla ice cream, and one scoop of my protein again with orange juice and sugar right at bedtime (plus a handful of grapes).

In any day I typically eat:

35-70 grams of Casein protein divided throughout the day (but ALWAYS a serving before bed).
Chicken
Potatoes
Lots of fruit (grapes, kiwis, melon, oranges, tomatoes, squash, cucumber)
Lots of cheese
Occasionally beef and pork, rarely eggs anymore (they also have high tryptophan)
Orange juice, natural sodas and carbonated beverages/carbonated mineral water
Chocolate
TONS of coffee
Oysters every Friday at Whole Foods are $1 each (and they shuck them for you).
Shrimp as I crave it
Ice Cream (without additives like soy lecithin, or gums).

Cilantro Iron chelation, if you look it up, will often be accompanied by the suggestion of chlorella, but chlorella is itself extremely high in iron and it is misleading. Cilantro for some reason powerfully chelates Iron. I've seen some hemochromatosis sufferers recommend it and I did experience a dramatic increase in weightless when I started to use it (though I had already experienced a reduction of 2 pant sizes). I feel like it sped up my weight loss by a factor of 2. So I lost in 6 months what would have taken a whole year (or not at all, if Iron levels truly are indicative of body fat, which I am inclined to agree).

Sorry to be kind of asking for handouts - but I'm interested and have a few questions. What kind of casein do you use? Why not just eat cheese - too much fat? How did you use cilantro - just bought the spice and ate it with food? I definitely think I have too much iron after 1.5 years of pounding beef organ meat (and INTENTIONALLY eating it with lemon for the vitamin C to increase iron absorption... omg). Something feels wrong about the amount of milk I consume and I want to reduce it - however I found when I'm eating too much cheese I can't take the fat and feel like I'm missing something - potassium? B12? Do you generally avoid green leafy veggies like kale / spinach / etc.? I also often crave Apple Juice and get fking sick of OJ - too much vit c possibly or not enough magnesium? Also do you eat gelatin? I kind of like it but feel like it increase endotoxin. I definitely think I have endotoxin / high iron issues. I look like you on the left rn lmao

Lightbringer

natedawggh said:
post 119310
If a state of unwanted weight gain is already your condition, generous amounts of the right kind of protein (amino acid ratios) is necessary to lose the weight, while again applying the sugar/iron formula to your body's reaction to sugar.
Awesome thanks! You are right about milk. Some days I find it very nourishing yet somehow some other days bloating and general sense of unease/tension result. i'll experiment with some casein powder to see how I react.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals