Weight loss + raising metabolism = you'll need more food?

TiredofLies

Simple metabolism question.

If you raise it eating orange juice or whatever, you'll need more food. So if you have a high metabolism but can't afford more food (financially or because you don't like eating much) what happens if you eat less?

To raise it you need to eat more sugar so you'll gain fat at first, kind of scary. When it evens you'll actually maintain your weight and urinate out the extra fat safely. Is it possible to have a high metabolism and still eat less? I want to eat around 2000, 3000+ is too much for me even if I exercise every day - I'm not an athlete who burns 1000 calories in a day.

Thanks.

To say it simply, I want to eat less and still have a high metabolism.

Kasper

Personally, I think this is perfectly possible.

It is about how efficient your mitochondria are, in other words, how much fuel (calories) they need to create energy (ATP). I think autophagy plays a big role in getting mitochondria more efficient.

Caffeine, coffee polyphenols and methionine restriction are 3 powerfull peat aproved ways to induce autophagy.

Non peat kind of ways would to induce autophagy would be intermittement fasting and exercising in a fasting state.

I think many people are not interested in this kind of stuff as it means that you can eat less, but I see having to eat less as getting more freedom to do what I want. I want to be able to eat allmost nothing for a day, and still feel great. I don't want to be so dependent of food for feeling great.

Besides that ultimately i think having to eat less to get your metabolism up and running should be healthier. I think if you eat less, your gut will produce less serotonin.

Brian

I'd be wary of intermittent fasting if you have been running on stress hormones for a long time.

Eating twice a day can be a healthy way to eat, provided you eat enough and are already in good metabolic health and have been for a year or more.

Another option, which might be preferable if you have been stressed for a long time, is too eat high carb/low fat while doing intense, but brief weightlifting sessions which should also boost your mitochondrial health effectively. Then once your metabolism is higher for many months you can maybe think about reducing your meal frequency.

Also getting lots of morning sun. I definitely notice on days that I do some morning sunbathing that I have a reduced need for calories as well as obviously improved energy production.

OP
T

TiredofLies

Good tips but weight lifting? Can it be replaced with aerobic and anaerobic cardio? I don't know why exercise is helpful but I prefer sports or running and some calisthenics over weight lifting. I hope it doesn't make a difference, all exercise is good if you haven't done any.

Also, if eating high carb would it be fine to get it all from potatoes and no fruit?

Brian

I think the mitochondrial health improvements come mostly from anaerobic activity, so sports with sprinting and intense bodyweight sets that last at least a minute should accomplish that very well too.

When I did my carb phase, potatoes were an everyday thing for me. In my experience they are an optimal food for someone who does glycogen depleting activity. I also included lots of fruit juice and some low fat milk.

tara

It may be a simple question, but I don't think there is an uncontroversial answer.

I expect there is some variation in needs, but I'd be surprised if most men could sustain good metabiolism and long term health on as little as 2000 cals, even if fairly sedentary.

Sea

If you under eat your metabolism will get slower than it was before. If you were already under eating then the metabolism is not going to improve much without increasing calories. Overtime, depleting pufa will make the metabolism a little faster even without increasing calories, but I really don't see the point since you can eat a high calorie diet very cheaply.

Exercise isn't really advisable if you are hypothyroid or under eating as this will just compound the problem and further lower metabolism even more. Walking would probably be best, and if you can eat enough to exercise then exercises that are the opposite of cardio are ok as long as you are taking breaks so the body can shuttle more sugar into your muscles and so you don't start to build up lactic acid.

tara

:yeahthat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals