Weight Loss Club

Peata

Re: Is the key to losing weight on Peatarian, reducing the f

Hi Bluebell, I've been Peating for over 4 months and I'm ready to lose some weight with you. I haven't actually gained on Peat, but I am not losing easily either and I have 5 to 10# I'd like to drop. Let's keep each other updated on what does the trick.

I used 1% milk but I'm switching to skim for a while. I use low fat cheese. I've had to nix the ice cream. Still using coconut oil though.

mandance

I am still losing weight on Peat. Use 1 percent milk, and limit ice cream to maybe 1 pint a week. I dont eat any cheese also.

Bluebell

4peatssake said:
Bluebell said:
Thank you, yes I remember that quote it's a good one!

I wonder if adding sugar, coke and whole fruits to that diet is perhaps OK? (as sugar raises metabolic rate)
Yes the sugars are good. I think the coke will be fine too and of course fruit.

Bluebell said:
And watching myself on the cheese, butter & cream (avoiding totally maybe while I lose weight).
Yep, this is where the weight problems can arise and why Ray recommends low fat milk for weight loss.

Ray has said that coconut oil, however, does promote weight loss.

Ray Peat said:
Coconut oil is unique in its ability to prevent weight-gain or cure obesity, by stimulating metabolism. It is quickly metabolized, and functions in some ways as an antioxidant.
I would also be sure to use plenty of salt. Salted oj and baking soda/epsom salt baths perhaps.
And carrot salad of course.

That is all extremely helpful, thank you!

The salt tip is a good one, I could probably eat more of that actually. I have been salting things but not really paying much attention to it.

Having a coke right now!

I'd love to have coconut oil, I think it's delicious, but my body reacts against it (even refined) for some reason, so I have to avoid it.

Bluebell

Peata said:
Hi Bluebell, I've been Peating for over 4 months and I'm ready to lose some weight with you. I haven't actually gained on Peat, but I am not losing easily either and I have 5 to 10# I'd like to drop. Let's keep each other updated on what does the trick.

I used 1% milk but I'm switching to skim for a while. I use low fat cheese. I've had to nix the ice cream. Still using coconut oil though.

Hi Peata! Just what I wanted to hear! I had been thinking it would be really nice if other Peaters losing weight could get together and form a mini-club or something.

I want to lose 14# or more, I have gained quite a bit on Peat, plus to start with I was about 7# over my ideal.

I think I am just eating too many calories. My inital plan is to put everything into cronometer and try and reduce my calories. I will cut way back on butter/cream/cheese :cry: . I'm still going to have 2% milk because I really don't enjoy the taste of 0% and it doesn't digest as well for me.

Also I'm going to increase the carrot salad to 2x per day, and maybe nix the potato.

Bluebell

mandance said:
I am still losing weight on Peat. Use 1 percent milk, and limit ice cream to maybe 1 pint a week. I dont eat any cheese also.

That's really good to hear a success, thanks! I'm interested to hear what foods you eat, and do you have any starch at all? I think v. low fat is the key. I'm convinced of the health benefits of dairy fat (fat soluble vitamins etc) so it's hard to limit it, but it has to be done I think.

OP
Peata

Peata

Yes, when it comes down to it, I'm just eating too many calories. I track everything in cronometer. It's hard for me to keep it under 2,000 calories, which I need to do to lose. Seems like even if I'm doing well with the calories all day long, come evening I blow it.

Yeah I don't know if I'll be able to stand nonfat milk. Been a long time since I tried it. I bought a half gallon yesterday, and I'll probably end up going back to 1% when I finish it.

I think I'll be more motivated if I have someone to report to like this, so if you want to use this thread we can, or if you want to start another one - however you see fit to do it.

Bluebell

It's funny you should say 2,000, that's what I've decided to try and start with, as my limit for the day. I've just started recording my calories today. I'll let myself go a couple of hundred over on the days I exercise.

I also overeat in the evening. I pretty much have been eating whatever I feel like, as long as it's within Peat eating. With such high calorie and delicious foods, that is not going to work if I want to lose weight.

Me too, I'm much more motivated with the support :) . Let's just add to this thread unless the mods decide otherwise.

Hopefully we'll be posting our # losses in the weeks to come!

HDD

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on the weight loss plan. I recently lost 5# due to being ill and I am trying not to gain it back. I need to lose the other 10+ I gained. I no longer indulge in the nightly ice cream but instead I eat cheese that is not low fat. :( I enjoy the cheese as much but I need to switch to cottage cheese.

One reason I gained so much is feeling like I needed to keep my blood sugar stable. I recently realized that taking pregnenolone without sugar was causing my problem. I am not sure if this has been the cause of my blood sugar issues all along or just coincidental.

Bluebell, what are you doing for exercise? I would like to lift with free weights but I need a video to follow or I lose interest.

Look forward to losing with you ladies! ;)

OP
Peata

Peata

You're definitely welcome to join us, Diane, and anyone else who wants is welcome too.

I had already gained my 10# or so before starting Peat, and as I said, I didn't gain more on Peat but I can't seem to lose as effortlessly as I used to.

I need to do exercise as well. I'm going to start with push-ups and crunches since I can do those easily at the house.

Bluebell

Haagendazendiane said:
I hope you don't mind me jumping in on the weight loss plan. I recently lost 5# due to being ill and I am trying not to gain it back. I need to lose the other 10+ I gained. I no longer indulge in the nightly ice cream but instead I eat cheese that is not low fat. :( I enjoy the cheese as much but I need to switch to cottage cheese.

One reason I gained so much is feeling like I needed to keep my blood sugar stable. I recently realized that taking pregnenolone without sugar was causing my problem. I am not sure if this has been the cause of my blood sugar issues all along or just coincidental.

Bluebell, what are you doing for exercise? I would like to lift with free weights but I need a video to follow or I lose interest.

Look forward to losing with you ladies! ;)

You are extremely welcome!! :D The more the merrier.

I have a similar situation, I gained from trying to eat all the time to keep my stress hormones down, as I realised high stress hormones are a big thing for me. So any time my tummy was empty, I kept eating, especially something sugary and it often had fat/protein too. I could feel the stress hormones go down, but of course I also put on fat. I kind of didn't mind the fat at first, but now I have had enough and want to get back to my usual weight, especially as it's summer. Also if I keep going as I am I would just keep gaining.

For exercise I'm doing brisk walking, and then using dumbell weights to do some simple arm exercises and squats, while listening to my ipod. I'm not sure how much it actually burns calories or changes how I look, but it feels good to do it!

My night time snack is now going to be a glass of milk with sugar (not 3 glasses ;) ).

OP
Peata

Peata

So far so good on the calories. I went ahead and programmed into cronometer the rest of the foods I intend to eat this evening, and I'll be at 1800 calories for the day if I can stick to it.

Bluebell

I've got 480 calories left to get me to 2000 ... enough room for a pre-bed snack. :P

Tomorrow AM I'll check my weight.

Good luck everyone!

HDD

This is great! I have been out all day and this is making me accountable. I only get <1500 per day to lose .5 lb a week. Since I was out , I am behind on nutrients. I have 5 hours and 500 calories left. I need to plan this to maximize nutrition.

lazz

you don't have to drop your cals under 2000 or whatever as long as you increase your physical activity such as cardio ,weight training daily...id say keep them around 2.300-2500 just add a 30 minute walk daily as cardio to help you burn excess of cals

Bluebell

Haagendazendiane said:
This is great! I have been out all day and this is making me accountable. I only get <1500 per day to lose .5 lb a week. Since I was out , I am behind on nutrients. I have 5 hours and 500 calories left. I need to plan this to maximize nutrition.

Yea, cronometer says I need to eat a lot less than 2000 in order to lose weight. I know I was eating quite a bit more than 2000 before though, so I am eating less than I was if I keep it below 2000. Then if I don't lose weight on 2000, I'll reduce it down more ... that's the plan for now anyway!! I think I'm going to try and lose quite slowly, to be Peatarian about it; don't want to burn the PUFAs too fast. Maybe 1lb a week.

It's quite useful seeing all the nutrients on cronometer, I am supping E and will probably add a touch of K.

Bluebell

lazz said:
you don't have to drop your cals under 2000 or whatever as long as you increase your physical activity such as cardio ,weight training daily...id say keep them around 2.300-2500 just add a 30 minute walk daily as cardio to help you burn excess of cals

Thank you ... I definitely don't want to reduce them down too much, as health is #1 priority.

HDD

Bluebell said:
lazz said:

Thank you ... I definitely don't want to reduce them down too much, as health is #1 priority.

I definitely don't want to limit at the expense of health. I have been eating excess of 2000 which according to cronometer will keep me gaining. Finding an exercise routine that I can follow and not find boring is what I hope to figure out.

gretchen

It's the calories.

OP
Peata

Peata

Well, I'd say today was a success as far as calories logged. 1900, give or take.

It wasn't always easy. I did feel a little hungry at times. I think I need to have a bigger lunch to power myself through the afternoon better, instead of relying so much on drinking my calories and having a small lunch.

The relatively empty stomach, come mid to late afternoon, affects my blood sugar, just going by how I feel. I was pretty hungry by dinner and it would have been easy to overdo it. I do love to have drinks all day though (talking about milky, sugary drinks like coffee... or soda; even some tea) but I just need to eat more actual solids too.

How are the rest of you doing?

juanitacarlos

Bluebell said:
Haagendazendiane said:

Yea, cronometer says I need to eat a lot less than 2000 in order to lose weight. I know I was eating quite a bit more than 2000 before though, so I am eating less than I was if I keep it below 2000. Then if I don't lose weight on 2000, I'll reduce it down more ... that's the plan for now anyway!! I think I'm going to try and lose quite slowly, to be Peatarian about it; don't want to burn the PUFAs too fast. Maybe 1lb a week.

It's quite useful seeing all the nutrients on cronometer, I am supping E and will probably add a touch of K.

Cronometer is a joke for setting caloric requirements. Be very careful using that as a guide as you could reduce too much and lose any gains you have made. I know that for a fact.

This is a better calculator for working out your caloric requirements. And yes, you will be surprised at what your needs are!

I'll say it again - please be very careful reducing calories - it's extremely stressful to your body! Especially, especially when you are trying to heal. Which is hard to do when you don't give your body the calories and nutrients your require.