Weight Loss advice?

Noahseri

Hello, this is my first post I just wanted to see if someone could share their thoughts or what’s worked for them. I’m a 21yo male have been skinny all my life up until this year started to put on weight out of nowhere. I work from home and don’t exercise a ton but managed to play basketball like 2-3 a week throughout the year and walk/hike fairly often. Haven’t been lifting because of the whole gym situation with masks.
Anyways, my wife and I eat a lot of grass fed beef, probably a little too much pasta and bread.. lot of cheesey foods, whole milk, butter, ice cream.
I drink coffee everyday, as far as supplements we take vitamin E, vitamin K, aspirin, on and off niacinamide and just started glycine.
Any thing helps
Thanks

P

Peatness

Hello, this is my first post I just wanted to see if someone could share their thoughts or what’s worked for them. I’m a 21yo male have been skinny all my life up until this year started to put on weight out of nowhere. I work from home and don’t exercise a ton but managed to play basketball like 2-3 a week throughout the year and walk/hike fairly often. Haven’t been lifting because of the whole gym situation with masks.
Anyways, my wife and I eat a lot of grass fed beef, probably a little too much pasta and bread.. lot of cheesey foods, whole milk, butter, ice cream.
I drink coffee everyday, as far as supplements we take vitamin E, vitamin K, aspirin, on and off niacinamide and just started glycine.
Any thing helps
Thanks
You are very young so it should be relatively easy to lose weight. The mistake I made with peating is increasing my refined sugar intake without removing starch. If you are not active you dont need lots of starch or refined sugar. Search the forum, there is so much info on weight loss. Below are some quotes I have compiled from Dr Peat on weight loss. Good luck

Ray Peat on Nurition and Weightloss

Weight

My recommendation is to eat to increase the metabolic rate (usually temperature and heart rate), rather than any particular foods. Usually the increased metabolic rate, with adequate protein, causes some muscle increase, and when that happens the basic calorie requirement will increase. The increase of muscle mass should continue for several weeks, and during that time the weight might increase a little, but usually the loss of water and fat will compensate for the greater muscle mass. I have heard from several people that they think I recommend drinking whole milk, which I don't, because the amount of fat in whole milk is very likely to be fattening when a person is using it to get the needed protein and calcium. When a person wants to lose excess fat, limiting the diet to low fat milk, eggs, orange juice, and a daily carrot or two, will provide the essential nutrients without excess calories.

Per calorie, sugar is less fattening than starch, partly because it stimulates less insulin, and, when it's used with a good diet, because it increases the activity of thyroid hormone. There are several convenient indicators of the metabolic rate--the daily temperature cycle and pulse rate (the temperature should rise after breakfast), the amount of water lost by evaporation, and the speed of relaxation of muscles (Achilles reflex relaxation).

When the polyunsaturated fats in the diet are reduced, the amount of then stored in the tissues decreases for about four years, making it progressively easier to keep the metabolic rate up, and stress hormones down.

The ratio of calcium to phosphate is very important; that's why milk and cheese are so valuable for weight loss, or for preventing weight gain. For people who aren't very active, low fat milk and cheese are better, because the extra fat calories aren't needed.

There are different kinds of weight gain. When a person's metabolic rate increases, and stress hormones decrease, for example when adding two quarts of milk to the daily diet, their muscle mass is likely to increase, even while their fat is decreasing. Since muscle burns fat faster than fat does, caloric requirements will gradually increase.

People on a standard diet will typically burn 200 or 300 more calories per day when that amount of sugar is added to their diet; but if extra fat is added, too, some of the extra calories are likely to be deposited as fat. It's important to watch the signs of changing heat production as the diet changes.

I know people who have lost weight just by eating a raw carrot every day, reducing endotoxin stress. The liver treats PUFA as it treats toxins, but when their concentration is too high, they poison the detoxifying system. Oleic acid, which we can make ourselves from carbohydrates, greatly activates the detox enzyme system.
That's why a resistant (antiseptic) fiber such as bamboo shoots or raw carrot helps with weight loss, it reduces endotoxin and the stress hormones, and lets the liver metabolize more effectively.

It's the stored PUFA, released by stress or hunger, that slow metabolism. Niacinamide helps to lower free fatty acids, and good nutrition will allow the liver to slowly detoxify the PUFA, if it isn't being flooded with large amounts of them. A small amount of coconut oil with each meal will increase the ability to oxidize fat, by momentarily stopping the antithyroid effect of the PUFA. Aspirin is another thing that reduces the stress-related increase of free fatty acids, stimulating metabolism. Taking a thyroid supplement is reasonable until the ratio of saturated fats to PUFA is about 2 to 1.

Yes, it's best to lose it slowly. When I tried adding about a tablespoon of coconut oil once a day I lost about two pounds a week, for several weeks, without eating less.

Some muscle-building resistance exercise might help to increase the anabolic ratio, reducing the belly fat. Most of the research shows that it increases the metabolic rate, tending to prevent obesity.