Weight Gain On NDT

Carys Puleston

Hi. I’ve had a years’ long struggle with my weight with Hashimoto’s. I feel very ill on Levo so don’t take it. I tried T3 alone but got palpitations. Now I’m on Thiroid which I buy myself. I feel mainly well, some tiredness, but my weight has shot up by nearly a stone. In order to feel as well as I do I’ve been taking what I know is a huge amount of NDT (18 grains) and my bloods look in range! I don’t know what to do! The one time I easily lost weight was when I was taking nothing at all and my doctor was hysterical down the phone at me because my levels were so low, but I felt great? I’d really welcome some advice, thank you.

tara

Hi. I’ve had a years’ long struggle with my weight with Hashimoto’s. I feel very ill on Levo so don’t take it. I tried T3 alone but got palpitations. Now I’m on Thiroid which I buy myself. I feel mainly well, some tiredness, but my weight has shot up by nearly a stone. In order to feel as well as I do I’ve been taking what I know is a huge amount of NDT (18 grains) and my bloods look in range! I don’t know what to do! The one time I easily lost weight was when I was taking nothing at all and my doctor was hysterical down the phone at me because my levels were so low, but I felt great? I’d really welcome some advice, thank you.
Hi,
I'm no expert, so please don't take this as medical advice, just something to explore.
Have you read Peat's articles on thyroid on his website?
I'm not sure what's in thiroid - is it T4 and T3? NDT or synthetic?

A couple of thoughts:
- Supplementing too much T4 can sometimes have the opposite effect - lowering metabolism.
- Just looking at lab values is not enough to determine what's needed. How you feel, as well as other signs and symptoms, are also relevant. Body temps and heart rate are fairly easily monitored - I'd recommend that to add to the info you have from lab tests. Other signs and symptoms are listed somewhere I think too.
- It seems to me that if you were feeling well without supplementing, that's quite interesting and relevant. How long did you do that for? Were you better in terms of other signs and symptoms?

If you want to, you can post lab results here - you might get more opinions on them.

Arrade

I think levo raised my estrogen which caused me to gain water and fat weight.
I'm on nothing right now and feeling better as time goes.
I can't necessarily speak for NDT tho.

Look into herbs like ashwagandha and fixing your thyroid naturally

OP
C

Carys Puleston

Thank you all very much. I will try to post my labs. That’s really interesting, Arrade, I feel like it’s water and fat too. I’ve felt fine today and taken nothing.

Elize

T3 converted to Estrogen with me I lowered my T3 and the water weight cleared. I still take T4. T3 alone made me very hypo and then hyohy an awful experience

Arrade

T3 converted to Estrogen with me I lowered my T3 and the water weight cleared. I still take T4. T3 alone made me very hypo and then hyohy an awful experience
Weird, I had that experience but with T4 only. And my liver converted enough Free T3 from it to be in range

OP
C

Carys Puleston

Thank you at least now I know it’s not just me and I’m not going crazy! I’m sure this is too short a time to be significant, but I took no NDT yesterday and was 2.5lbs lighter this morning!!

Elize

Great for you. I have adrenal problems and why NDT is issue for me

OP
C

Carys Puleston

Elize I think I would be wise to test for adrenal issues. I’ve had a lot of trauma and live in a stressful situation. I tend to be on high alert most of the time. Did you do the saliva test?

tara

I’m sure this is too short a time to be significant, but I took no NDT yesterday and was 2.5lbs lighter this morning!!
AIUI, the T3 component has a short half life and could well be noticable within a day. The T4 part would take longer to show full effects - can take more than 2 weeks at a constant dose to reach steady blood levels.

Arrade

AIUI, the T3 component has a short half life and could well be noticable within a day. The T4 part would take longer to show full effects - can take more than 2 weeks at a constant dose to reach steady blood levels.
6 weeks to reach steady blood levels