Weight Gain On Low, Low Pufa

superhuman

I said what I said based on personal experience. 650mg of aspirin and about 200-300mg of niacinamide per day, I lose about 1 lb or less on my diet at 2500kcals. When I discontinue them I lose at least 1.5lbs per week, but typically 2-3lbs. Not trying to argue, just my personal experience. Im very very strict, and calculated with my food, supplements, and lifestyle. Those were the only changing variables. I use both substances regularly, except when Im cutting.

Thats awesome and thank you. Im the exact same way as you so i love it.
Im currently doing like 80-100mg aspirin in the evening during this cut but i will stop it now and see if it makes a difference. I guess its very little so im not sure :)

Why do you think it happens btw that niacinamide and aspirin slows down the fat loss? like both of them should speed up metabolic rate and also when calories being equal its strange that they can have that big of a negative effect. Like a vitamin like niacinamide and aspirin with i dont know what you can categorize it as could hinder fat loss without adding calories to the equation. Seems strange for sure

T

tca300

@superhuman My guess is because they both inhibit fat release from tissues, and they keep carbohydrates from being turned into Palmitic acid, which itself boosts the metabolic rate. Im not sure If small amounts ( under 100mg per day ) would make a noticeable difference, because I haven't tried small amounts like that during weight loss. Maybe others have had different experiences.

Ron J

I said what I said based on personal experience. 650mg of aspirin and about 200-300mg of niacinamide per day, I lose about 1 lb or less on my diet at 2500kcals. When I discontinue them I lose at least 1.5lbs per week, but typically 2-3lbs. Not trying to argue, just my personal experience. Im very very strict, and calculated with my food, supplements, and lifestyle. Those were the only changing variables. I use both substances regularly, except when Im cutting.
I'm taking 1500mg of niacinamide and 1.3g of aspirin. Currently low fat(about 20g). Would that prevent fat loss in my low fat diet? Or would I still lose fat from muscles breaking down adipose tissue at rest?

T

tca300

I'm taking 1500mg of niacinamide and 1.3g of aspirin. Currently low fat(about 20g). Would that prevent fat loss in my low fat diet? Or would I still lose fat from muscles breaking down adipose tissue at rest?
I think it would probably slow it down, but I dont think it would completely inhibit fat loss.

Ron J

I think it would probably slow it down, but I dont think it would completely inhibit fat loss.
Thanks.
Just saw the comment about glycine. It's disappointing because I'm taking 14g a day as a substitute of gelatin.

OP
Luann

Luann

It is probably good to keep pufa below 1-2 % of total calories to prevent possible interference with metabolism but In general or in such state also keeping pufa even below 1-2 % of overal calorie intake do not necessarily mean that you are not going to store any of that Pufa in your tissues or that you are going to be free from stress by other unwise choices and things in the diet or private life for your current state.
Thank you. Its one thing to blame iron and pufa for everything...but the mature thing to do is to understand that stress comes to the body for many reasons, not always so simple. Good reminder and yeah my calcium:mg is pretty high.

@DrJ very helpful. I did a lower protein day today with pepsi and more oranges than usual; no big changes yet but nice mood, will try tomorrow as well.

Y'know ray peat wrote about a lady who ate like a thousand more calories a day, than she had been, per his prescription. she lost like ten pounds right away. but that doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would happen to me lol.

@JackHanma thanks for the input. I remember your input on copper and sulfur in another thread. I do not get much copper at all from diet and don't even know if the copper supplement is working all that well so my first instinct is actually that i'm still not getting enough copper. even though what you're saying about copper and weight gain seems to hold true in livestock cases, their "performance" (weight gain) always goes up in response to copper intake. but that is in the context of growing animals or animals on a fattening diet. and with baby animals maybe some of the weight is brain, muscle, and bone growth as well.

tankasnowgod

I think you're dead on on this one. I was ramping up niacinamide and gained some weight while doing it. I stopped taking it, and things seemed to normalize, even with the same eating pattern and activity level. In fact, weight went down a bit.

I was often feeling low energy and washed out, too. I think they are both just too strong an inhibitor of lipolysis if you're trying to lose weight.

superhuman

@tca300 i was thinking some more about what you said and also what i have read and talked with RP. Have you tried just consuming aspirin when cutting? since Ray suggests aspirin should help with fat loss and aspirin has the same capabilities/mechanisms like DNP so it should for sure help with fat loss.
But niacinamide Ray told me could hinder fat loss. Even in doses higher then 150 mg a day he said it could hinder it. So maybe if you where taking both it was the niacinamide that did it and not the aspirin? or if you have tried with just aspirin and it did the same then im all inn with you :D

OP
Luann

Luann

Guys, sorry to butt in on what appears an actually useful conversation here :emoji_grin:
I realized my stovetop coffee is WAY weaker than drip coffee, so whatever nutrients i counted as getting from coffee, I wasn't really. maybe a hint toward the weight thing and other issues?

T

tca300

@superhuman stryker had mentioned that he was super lean on high dose aspirin. I also read that Ray had mentioned aspirin uncouples the mitochondria. I was taking between 650 - 975 mg of aspirin when my weight loss was slowed. I dont want to mess with what Im doing right now, because Im currently on a scheduled cut, but I might try just aspirin, after Im done, and see if anything is different when its taken alone.

nikolabeacon

Hey @Liubo :D I know that Peat says that ratio between Ca- Mg is not so important as long as you have enough active thyroid hormone, and vigorous liver without estrogen increase and accumulation.

.....I Just wanted to clarify that unless you are sure that ,liver (and enough active thyroid hormone) is in good state (and sufficient acid and digestion that prevents build up of endotoxin and SIBO) and free from other major stress... I think it is not good and i wouldn t just increase Ca intake(and too much fructose if you do not have a strong craving for it) because if those things are not right ratio of Ca to Mg becomes more important because Mg opposes Ca's unwanted effects and can also control PTH when you are in mentioned state and fructose will increase your cholesterol too much , bottleneck and slow down the liver even further.

I think, overlooking this along with taking niacinamide+aspirin which inhibits FAO (and in general metabolism of fats in the body) while also eating saturated fats is a main reason why people end up with weight gain or maybe fatty liver (and possibly constipation and hair shedding/loss).

and so I would not increase Ca and fructose too much if you do not have strong craving for it and would focus more on improving balance of nutrients in meals in proportion to calories as someone mentioned to avoid cortisol spiking , focus on nutrients(and their ratios) that help energize and clean the liver and improve digestion(which will relieve Bacterial problems in the intestines and help the liver even further) ... , B vitamins, vit D and K all minerals esp. Mg ,selenium ,zinc and manganese, gelatin...Enough carbs.Maybe you can add some refined starches if they do not cause you any issues.
Maybe Someone will say to supplement with thyroid(to improve liver) but I am not sure if you are personally ready for that as an option or if it is correct and necessary or if it will also work without fixing nutrition and liver because even Peat said that in majority of people, sluggish liver (or something inflammatory and cortisol stimulating in the diet or some inflammatory infection) is a main cause of insufficient active thyroid hormone ,poor digestion and low metabolism.

nikolabeacon

Guys, sorry to butt in on what appears an actually useful conversation here :emoji_grin:
I realized my stovetop coffee is WAY weaker than drip coffee, so whatever nutrients i counted as getting from coffee, I wasn't really. maybe a hint toward the weight thing and other issues?

:emoji_thinking:hahah it could be :D Wait?Imagine I recently realized that all methods even drip that do not use paper filter(because of that characteristic paper to absorb oil) should be richer and stronger in taste . Thats why i still prepare and like to drink turkish/bosnian or french press coffee and it can act like activated charcoal or cascara from my experience. And i am not so concerned about cholesterol raising effects(from sterols and diterpenes )since i do not drink large amounts of coffee and do not like to.
and just checked even if it is fine as That filter that tca 300 posted it will not remove that effect ..since in the description it is stated
"This laser-cut reusable steel filter allows your brew to retain the delicious flavors and oils which paper filters steal away"

So if you really do not want that effect get some paper filters though caffeine also can have that effects but weaker! :D

OP
Luann

Luann

Hi beautiful people.
I'm trying out some spinach for K2 as well as stronger coffee, and eating more fruit to balance carbs and protein. @tca300 there is some calf liver at my walmart and its pretty cheap...may have to get me some, and mushrooms are awesome! yummy.
@nikolabeacon you're saying paper filter takes away some of the coffee strength and compounds? I use a fabric filter to reuse it, would that also take away from the coffee? and WHY don't you like large amounts of coffee??? lol

also nikola you're right about high mineral in foods, in fact you spurred me back to cronometer. Thus the added spinach and a folate source i need to find yet.
Thanks again, for the replies, the concern, and your awesome selves coming over to play ideas and help me. Love yas.

nikolabeacon

@nikolabeacon you're saying paper filter takes away some of the coffee strength and compounds? I use a fabric filter to reuse it, would that also take away from the coffee? and WHY don't you like large amounts of coffee??? lol

also nikola you're right about high mineral in foods, in fact you spurred me back to cronometer. Thus the added spinach and a folate source i need to find yet.
Thanks again, for the replies, the concern, and your awesome selves coming over to play ideas and help me. Love yas.
HahA..Yes only paper filter removes(absorbs) all oils from coffee(including diterpenes and sterols)...responsible for that effect on cholesterol....and they give coffee that " rich" or " full" taste.

I really do not like bitterness from coffee and usually use a lot of sugar in it with milk to blunt bitterness. And it is more like a kind of a ritual :D after breakfast and lunch. And when i am busy working or reading I do not like to have frequent coffee or interference with snacks ...maybe I would drink only one small cup of turkish coffee...I like to get really hungry be/for my meals! :)

OP
Luann

Luann

Weight was the same this morning, but the bloating seems to have gone down.
I've been doing white rice for the carbs and folate, and it can be rinsed to remove some starch and fat. With soy sauce it's pretty good. Also seedless fruits and a thick mix of dry milk, coffee, and sugar, which is my main protein, the dry milk is cheap and filling. Actually the milk is really good with grape jelly and a table spoon of water, too. And spinach for K vites, it all nets about .5 g Pufa a day.

OP
Luann

Luann

Actually am gonna take the rice back out again, or mostly out of my diet, because it's been causing some back pain and coated tongue. And since starting I'm cold when going to sleep - and it's summer - I was very decently warm at night before the rice. The only halfway good effect from it, oddly, was some pleasant, honest vibe-y dreams about a more personal issue, that felt like closure, or something.
@nikolabeacon so most people drink bad coffee without full flavor because they drink paper drip. Lol. That's a shame but reflects quality of life ever since health became so misinformed. What is turkish coffee? Sounds exotic and delicious

nikolabeacon

Actually am gonna take the rice back out again, or mostly out of my diet, because it's been causing some back pain and coated tongue. And since starting I'm cold when going to sleep - and it's summer - I was very decently warm at night before the rice. The only halfway good effect from it, oddly, was some pleasant, honest vibe-y dreams about a more personal issue, that felt like closure, or something.
@nikolabeacon so most people drink bad coffee without full flavor because they drink paper drip. Lol. That's a shame but reflects quality of life ever since health became so misinformed. What is turkish coffee? Sounds exotic and delicious

In more developed countries I think that It is considered as a "primitive" way to prepare coffee but for people that do really want and enjoy full strong taste of coffee it is good/right way to drink coffee besides espresso.
And it is usually served with ratluk (rahat lokum, type of turkish delight without gelatin) , sugar cubes or in my country also with slatko ("sweet") from cherries, plums or other fruits. Slatko - Wikipedia

from white cherries is my favourite slatko-od-belih-tresanja-d9e1a488a2e1ded339ce77d6083561c9_view_l-2.jpg

If you are interested in folk parapsyhology and "magic" For fun, Traditionaly after drinking a small cup of coffee you inverse a cup and put on a small plate ....and wait for a couple of minutes for coffee sludge to settle down . And supposedly if you learn to read those symbols you should be able to "see" your near future in that " coffee relief". LOL :D
gledanje_u_solju.jpg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals