Weight Gain On Low, Low Pufa

CLASH

@Jon
If I’m not mistaken soluble fibers, cellulose and quite a few other fibers can be fermented into scfa’s. I know starch has helped many people but I also know it has hurt many people. The difference is gut flora. I think most people should be able to digest starch overall but I think many people have dysbiotic bowels. As an example I have a klebsiella overgrowth in my bowel and if I eat any starch at all I get pain throughout my spine, rashes on my body and pain in my eyes. I have been surviving without starch and doing well for years now (I continue to lift on a no starch diet and make progress and my body fat percentage has stayed around 10% [visible abs all year round] despite eating 300g of sugar and 160-200g of fat). Also, I still had short chain fatty acids in my stool at normal levels despite the lack of starch in my diet. Do I think the starch is the culprit? Nah. It’s the dysbiosis, which I plan to treat. With this in mind I dont think starch is neccesary, carbohydrate and some fiber is definetly neccesary tho.

Also sugar, especially sugar from fruits can reliably increase insulin sensitivity. My hemoglobin A1c was below the reference range on a diet that had no starch but had alot of fruit sugar from juice and fruits. The diet was not low fat either. I’m pretty sure insulin insensitivity is a function of inflammation and an issue with the liver and/ or damage to the cells ability to oxidize the sugar most likely an effect from PUFA, bacterial end products and other toxins (heavy metals etc). Fats can induce a transient insulin insensitivty due to the randle effect but I dont think this is a bad thing, I actually think this is a good thing as it allows the blood sugar to be elevated longer thus keeping stress hormones down longer and allowing people to last longer between meals. I dont think the randle effect impairs insulin sensitivity overall, I have a sneaky suspicion that some tissues get shuttled fat to oxidize such as the muscles while others get shuttled glucose such as the nervous system and the organs, in an intelligent partitioning effect thus sparing the sugars for “higher order tissues and functions”.

Without the dysbiosis, I think that using a combination of starch from yams and potatoes, sugars from fruits and juice, and fats from mufa/ safa sources would probably be beneficial overall, especially for someone exercising (its really hard to gain weight on just fruits, juices and fats).

Cirion

I would love to see a person without an intestinal dysbiosis become empirically fat eating animal proteins, mufa/safa sources, fruit, yams and potatoes.

I don't really disagree but once you have gut dysbiosis it seems like *the* hardest health problem to solve. It doesn't seem to be as simple as take some charcoal, flowers of sulfur, intake caffeine, or even taking antibiotics.

Someone who has a healthy gut and liver can handle virtually any food, even so called junk food (we all know that one guy that eats junk and is still ripped...)

So the question is - how do you build up to that point? If antibiotics don't work and probiotics are frowned upon here, and charcoal/sulfur doesn't work, what's left to try? I think the key is to fix the problem, not just avoid certain foods forever. If you do that, you're not truly cured.

CLASH

@Cirion
This is my current plan:

1) stool test: doctors data parasitology x3, genova labs gi effects comprehensive stool assesment
2) immune stimulants/ nutritional support: DHEA, vit C, taurine, zinc, vit A, vit D, vit K, vit E, maitake/shiitake/enoki/lions mane mushrooms (these stimulate TLR to keep the immune system high when taking antibiotics to avoid opportunistic infection from excessively lowered TLR activation from the antibiotic killing off the majority of the bacteria), adequate saturated fatty acid/ monounsaturated fatty acids to detox the endotoxin and bacteria and keep TLR activation at a baseline level
3) coconut oil enema with essential oils (cinnamon, oregano, thyme and lemongrass are as potent if not more potent than atibiotics, even on antibiotic resistant strains in the research. Concentrations required range from .3% to 5% [very doable for an enema with coconut oil])
4) probiotics orally and via enema, non histamine, non d-lactate producing species only (bifido/ lacto species, spore formers seem risky)
5) prebiotics: GOS and 2-fucosyllactose (orally and via enema with probiotics)
6) antibiotics/ anti-fungals: X antibiotic (depends on culture and sensitivity result of the stool test), rifaximin (to clear the small intestine and prevent c.diff infection), nystatin (to prevent fungal issues; used as an enema and orally), minocycline (to target intracellular pathogens and latent infections in other areas of the body)

*I’m going to introduce each thing by itself for three days and monitor for negative effects (I’m already using the nutritional stuff so everything besides that). When i introduce something new I’ll still keep the previous intervention and slowly snowball the protocol over time until I’m using everything simultaneously. If I get results on previous steps then I may not need later steps. Example if the enema with essential oils works I may not need the antibiotics, these are the last resort option.

If this doesnt work:
7) colectomy