Weeping Edema,blisters ,please Help

Hello, my very ill husband (advanced pleural mesothelioma) has had swollen ankles for about 2 weeks ,last few days chronically swollen up to the knees .Today when I went to massage them I felt some blisters and warm fluid on my hands .He was given Lasix last Friday ,didn't work ,told to double dose still didn't work . I'm trying to connect some dots ,not 100% sure but around the same time as swelling he was given a nebuliser from McMillan nurses ,2 different meds ,sodium chloride ,salbutamol sulphate. The sodium chloride is 0.9% which according to peat causes edema and should be 7. 9 % to be effective , just found this out today not sure which article, water swelling salt leaking etc .can anyone help me to lower this swelling .I feel very badly letdown by the nhs we we were more or less cast aside especially when he didn't want chemo even our own gp knows next to nothing about mesothelioma,

OP
E
I've tried to increase his salt but he's not to fond of salt ,I was worried about his potassium because Lasix lowers potassium Dr said it does not,what is the truth.

Last edited:
Salt restriction can cause aldosterone to increase, and excess aldosterone causes potassium loss, and increases the use of protein to form ammonia

In recent decades, the prevalence of congestive heart failure has increased tremendously, so that it is now often called an epidemic. Hyponatremia (too little salt, or too much water) is a recognized "risk factor" for congestive heart failure. In the failing heart, the muscle cells are swollen, causing the heart wall to stiffen, weakening its ability to pump. Osmotically shrinking the cells can restore their function.

Constipation physiology is probably analogous to the physiology of congestive heart failure, in which muscles are weakened and fatigued by swelling.

In recent decades, the prevalence of congestive heart failure has increased tremendously, so that it is now often called an epidemic. Hyponatremia (too little salt, or too much water) is a recognized "risk factor" for congestive heart failure. In the failing heart, the muscle cells are swollen, causing the heart wall to stiffen, weakening its ability to pump. Osmotically shrinking the cells can restore their function.

The swollen heart, like any muscle, loses the ability to quickly and completely relax, and so it doesn't fill adequately between contractions. Elastic tissues, such as arteries and lungs, stiffen when they are over-hydrated, losing their normal functions. In small blood vessels, swelling narrows the channel, increasing resistance to the flow of blood.

Water: swelling, tension, pain, fatigue, aging

OP
E
Can anyone suggest anything to reduce this swelling,meds not working

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    462.3 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    451.6 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 70
OP
E
Nebuliser given with 0.9% sodium chloride ,Ray peat says this dose can make edema worse .

Hyperosmotic sodium chloride solutions (e.g., 7.5%) are being used more often for treating trauma and shock, because the concentrated solution increases blood volume by removing water from the extravascular spaces, unlike the "isotonic" saline (0.9% sodium chloride), which usually adds to the edema by leaking out of the blood vessels.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Nebuliser given with 0.9% sodium chloride ,Ray peat says this dose can make edema worse .

Hyperosmotic sodium chloride solutions (e.g., 7.5%) are being used more often for treating trauma and shock, because the concentrated solution increases blood volume by removing water from the extravascular spaces, unlike the "isotonic" saline (0.9% sodium chloride), which usually adds to the edema by leaking out of the blood vessels.
This isn't from Peat but merely my personal experience. I don't think you have to worry about the saline in the nebulizer treatments causing his edema.
The amount of normal saline used for a nebulizer treatment is typically 2.5 ml. It serves as a carrier for the medicine and is considered inert because it is about the same salinity as blood. Hypertonic saline on the other hand does carry the risk of irritating the lungs when inhaled via nebulizer so normal 0.9% saline is typically used. I honestly don't believe the amount of saline in a nebulizer treatment would have any appreciable systemic effects.
I understand the severity of your husband's condition and the fact that you are looking for a reason this happened but I don't think it's the normal saline from the nebulizer that caused it or that changing it to hypertonic saline would resolve his lower leg edema.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
IIRC In a shock situation a person is going to receive somewhere around a Liter of saline solution via I.V. and that is very different than breathing 2.5 ml of saline. I hope that makes sense and puts your mind a bit more at ease.

OP
E
Thanks Blossom, I'm not clever enough to fully understand .So am I correct in thinking
That the delivery method ie. (Nebuliser/ IV ) Deliver different strenghts and a much lower
(Safer) dose comes with nebuliser. Has he too much or too ittle salt ?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks Blossom, I'm not clever enough to fully understand .So am I correct in thinking
That the delivery method ie. (Nebuliser/ IV ) Deliver different strenghts and a much lower
(Safer) dose comes with nebuliser. Has he too much or too ittle salt ?
Yes. He is getting miniscule amounts of saline in a nebulizer treatment compared to what a person in shock would receive. In shock the saline goes directly into the vein so it travels to every part of the body where as saline via a nebulizer pretty much stays local to the lung tissue.

OP
E
Latest prescription ---40mg furosemide., Co-amiloiruse 5/40mg And what I think
Is a synthetic progesterone. (Mergestrol acetate ) Is this a good or bad med
I'm waiting for my progest E in the mail.Ithink this was prescribed for his appetite

Nurses are dressing his legs every second day now.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Is a synthetic progesterone. (Mergestrol acetate ) Is this a good or bad med
I'm waiting for my progest E in the mail.Ithink this was prescribed for his appetite
I think you are right. I don't know much about that drug but I've noticed quite a few people have it prescribed for improving appetite. I just happened to know about the nebulizer because of my job.
Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.

OP
E
Can someone explain this to me ,Ray peat included it with other things that I'm
Doing.It was a reply to an email I sent him, search engine had no info
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 95
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom