Website recommended by Ray Peat

4peatssake

Ray Peat said:
Mary Shomon's thyroid website and http://www.tpauk.com have good information about thyroid.

I know Mary's website has been mentioned here numerous times but I've searched and found no reference to the second one.

I've done some browsing and there is indeed some very helpful info.

This quote above is from an email to me today. I posted his full email over in the Ray Peat Email Advice Depository but wanted to make a separate thread about this website so more people would likely get to see it.

This is on their "About Page" http://tpauk.com/content/977/about-us/

Who are we and what do we want to do?

THYROID PATIENT ADVOCACY (TPA) was founded in 2007 by Sheila Turner and registered as a Charity in October 2010, with the aim of further educating patients, students and healthcare professionals, and campaigning for effective diagnosis and treatment of both thyroid and thyroid related problems.

The TPA website and Support Forum are managed by a group of dedicated thyroid patients who volunteer their services free of charge.

It is TPA’s belief that patient's and doctor’s frustrations are largely due to:

Omissions in the present teaching curriculum concerning all forms of thyroid and thyroid related disease;
A lack of adequate information available to doctors and patients;
A lack of good, educational support groups for discussion of mutual problems and frustrations
A lack of answers to the many critical questions being asked of those working in the field of endocrinology.

Our Aims:

To awaken public interest in, and awareness of, thyroid disease;
To ensure that all sufferers of symptoms of thyroid disease will be comprehensively examined, biologically tested, diagnosed and treated appropriately - with medication suited to their specific needs.
To lend moral support to thyroid patients and their families;
To assist in fund raising for thyroid disease research.

Know the Facts: There are many types of thyroid disease. However, the main conditions present in most thyroid illnesses are hypothyroidism (under activity of the thyroid, pituitary or the hypothalamus gland: euthyroid hypometabolism (deficient peripheral metabolism or peripheral hormone reception physiology): hyperthyroidism (over activity of the thyroid): Thyroid Eye Disease: Thyroid nodules or thyroid cancer

SheilaHelm1

Hi 4Peatsake, maybe not much mention about TPAuk on here because its a UK site and I think the majority of members here are from the USA??
Sheila Turner and her team at TPA have really done some battling with the British Medical folks and are definitely making headway in converting the MPs minds about the treatment of thyroid issues. Some of the Doctors have battled with being 'struck off' and risking their careers in the fight for suitable thyroid treatment. Levothyroxine is the only thyroid drug that would be prescribed if the powers that be had their way, but the TPA have kept on badgering them and I think they are becoming successful in raising awareness in the UK.
I think there is a difference from Peats view on a couple of issues on their site, such as iodine etc but everyones different so.. . . . I think the Brits are lucky to have the site and its good to know someone is championing our cause.
I emailed Sheila Turner not long ago and she couldn't have been more ready with her helpful and speedy replies, we here in the UK are lucky to have her.
Yeah for TPAUK it gets my vote anyhoo xx

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

SheilaHelm1 said:
Hi 4Peatsake, maybe not much mention about TPAuk on here because its a UK site and I think the majority of members here are from the USA??
Sheila Turner and her team at TPA have really done some battling with the British Medical folks and are definitely making headway in converting the MPs minds about the treatment of thyroid issues. Some of the Doctors have battled with being 'struck off' and risking their careers in the fight for suitable thyroid treatment. Levothyroxine is the only thyroid drug that would be prescribed if the powers that be had their way, but the TPA have kept on badgering them and I think they are becoming successful in raising awareness in the UK.
I think there is a difference from Peats view on a couple of issues on their site, such as iodine etc but everyones different so.. . . . I think the Brits are lucky to have the site and its good to know someone is championing our cause.
I emailed Sheila Turner not long ago and she couldn't have been more ready with her helpful and speedy replies, we here in the UK are lucky to have her.
Yeah for TPAUK it gets my vote anyhoo xx

Hi Sheila,

It looks like a terrific resource and when Ray endorsed it I figured I should let others know about it as well. UK or USA or where ever if it's good, it's good!! :lol:

Good for Sheila for champion the cause in the UK - it is never any fun fighting against the powers that be. There are a couple of pages with articles by Ray on the site and I do understand that there will always be disagreement on some things. Such is life!

This and Mary's site are very helpful to new comers such as myself who are literally stunned to discover that all their sometimes very significant and "seemingly" unrelated problems have all along been the result of impaired thyroid function. :shock: Had we know, we could have saved ourselves a world of grief and suffering. Others may have lived.

We sure are fortunate to have found Ray Peat!

jyb

I'm in the UK too, is it worth trying to see a doctor enlightened about thyroid? I don't even know if its possible, maybe those are too busy to get new patients.

I think I know enough about supplementing thyroid from this forum, however maybe that such a doctor would be able to do the basic blood tests (prolactin, CO2, lactacte, total T3 etc) with NHS insurance, as opposed to me having to go to a private clinic and spend a lot of money. My current GP only allows TSH, free T3 & T4, and one antibody test.

SheilaHelm1

4peatssake said:
This and Mary's site are very helpful to new comers such as myself who are literally stunned to discover that all their sometimes very significant and "seemingly" unrelated problems have all along been the result of impaired thyroid function. :shock: Had we know, we could have saved ourselves a world of grief and suffering. Others may have lived.

We sure are fortunate to have found Ray Peat!

I totally agree. The problem is I think we are all relative newcomers, and its forums like this (that didn't exist until recently) that help spread the word of self help and Ray Peat. 40 years ago when I was first diagnosed, everybody respected and trusted their doctors to do the right thing by you, i.e. prescribe what you needed as per your illness and symptoms.
The only reason I stumbled onto Peats work a few years ago was because I thought there must be something more sinister wrong with me because I felt so bad, I trusted the levothyroxine I was prescribed, to be what I needed.
Thats when I discovered Ray Peats articles, but I was too baffled and brain fogged to take it all in.
The TPAUK site didn't have even a quarter, never mind a half, of the information on there now a couple of years ago, and its only recently that I have gone back to it and was a little shocked at how much it has improved, I registered as a member and it is a great site.
I think thats the great thing about these forums, especially this one (thanks Charlie xx) everybody gets to the bottom of things by asking and sharing, and being prepared to ask 'anything' without being embarrassed ha ha ..... this could never have happened a few years ago, hence we are all only learning things now, together. I think the internet is the greatest thing to ever happen to hypothyroidism..ha ha.

Sorry for rambling I got carried away a bit ..... Just want to show my appreciation for the members here for enlightening me on so many things. I have learned so much since joining last September, I would be feeling way more shocking and helpless if it wasn't for this site. Charlie is a godsend...

Jyb, I think you have to attend one of the 'Thyroid' doctors seminars which are held on open days up and down the country. You asked exactly the same question I asked Sheila Turner i.e. about seeing one of the doctors. The ones that spring to mind are Dr Peatfield and Dr Skinner, I would join the TPA site if I were you it should explain way better than I can... it also has a page chokka of articles that looks a bit like a forum. I haven't been on the site much tbh, as this one takes up most of my reading time ha ha ... :lol:

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

SheilaHelm1 said:
I totally agree. The problem is I think we are all relative newcomers, and its forums like this (that didn't exist until recently) that help spread the word of self help and Ray Peat. 40 years ago when I was first diagnosed, everybody respected and trusted their doctors to do the right thing by you, i.e. prescribe what you needed as per your illness and symptoms.
The only reason I stumbled onto Peats work a few years ago was because I thought there must be something more sinister wrong with me because I felt so bad, I trusted the levothyroxine I was prescribed, to be what I needed.

So many of us and most certainly my parents before me were raised to practically view doctors as gods. I remember when my father got sick before he passed away, he was practically bowing down before doctors who had been filling him with all sorts of drugs that I knew were harming him more than helping. But I could do nothing but watch because he was convicted in his beliefs. I have been my own doctor since 2003 and am so glad - even though it took me this long to finally uncover the core issue. But I am sure happy I entrusted myself only in my own hands or else I am sure I would be in worse shape. It is absolutely unconscionable what Big Pharma (the real drug cartel) and those in collusion with them have done.

I am grateful to have found Ray and then find this forum and begin sharing and learning with everyone here. We are fortunate to have a few members like Rayser and ttramone with more experience - even if a long time Peatarian is only about 4 years old. :lol:

SheilaHelm1 said:
I think thats the great thing about these forums, especially this one (thanks Charlie xx) everybody gets to the bottom of things by asking and sharing, and being prepared to ask 'anything' without being embarrassed ha ha ..... this could never have happened a few years ago, hence we are all only learning things now, together. I think the internet is the greatest thing to ever happen to hypothyroidism..ha ha

Sorry for rambling I got carried away a bit ..... Just want to show my appreciation for the members here for enlightening me on so many things. I have learned so much since joining last September, I would be feeling way more shocking and helpless if it wasn't for this site. Charlie is a godsend...

I agree. Charlie is a blessing and I am quite certain that I'd be up you-know-what's creek without a paddle were in not for the forum. I find the people here to be very helpful and generous.

Violet

Thanks for sharing this website! It's brilliant.

OP
4peatssake

4peatssake

Violet said:
Thanks for sharing this website! It's brilliant.

You're very welcome Violet!

Glad you are here!