Wearing sunglasses in the evenings is effortlessly fixing my circadian rhythm

TheSir

So, for a few evenings now, I have been putting on a pair of sunglasses about 2-3 hours before I'm expecting to hit the bed, not taking them off until I'm in the bed. My sleep schedule has been shifting earlier by as much as 15-30 minutes a day. I first thought of using those blue-light blocking glasses, but I figured that sunglasses should work even better. I have set my screens and lights to the lowest level of brightness at which I can still read without too much difficulties.

I think my body is acquiring a form of Pavlovian conditioning to the glasses too. I put them on just 30 minutes ago and I'm already feeling the melatonin surging. My largest question for now is if by continuing this practice my sleep schedule would perpetually get earlier and earlier, or if I would eventually hit a schedule that the body would naturally prefer, a biologically wired circadian preference.

Anyone else tried something similar?

BodhiBlues

Interesting idea! I have thought about blue blocking glasses but they normally look kind of horrible and I guess I am too vain!

I just put my sunglasses on to try it this evening.

aniciete

Have you ever tried blue blocking glasses? I’ve given them a try multiple times and never noticed a difference. Maybe I should try this

JamesGatz

Oh yea - personally I believe sunglasses lower serotonin - I think the stereotype of people being sunglasses being chill/relaxed is a real thing, but I have trouble finding a pair that fits my face well. Whenever I use an umbrella I also get lower serotonin when I have it above my head.

And interestingly enough - if my eyes are exposed to bright light I feel serotonin rise as well. What I'm doing now is wearing a hat but keeping it low on my forehead so that I get a little bit of that effect of my eyes being less exposed to light. I think if the entire body is exposed to darkness it's stressful, but for some reason if it's just the eyes I believe it's beneficial/calming

OP
TheSir

TheSir

Have you ever tried blue blocking glasses? I’ve given them a try multiple times and never noticed a difference. Maybe I should try this
I haven't tried them. They are intriguing at face value, but when you think about it, would it not be more important to not only block a narrow frequency range, but rather everything that is bright across the whole spectrum? The dimmed vision from sunglasses can be a little awkward to work with, but clearly it must also be more effective than non-dimming blue blocking glasses at preventing circadian disruption.

aniciete

I haven't tried them. They are intriguing at face value, but when you think about it, would it not be more important to not only block a narrow frequency range, but rather everything that is bright across the whole spectrum? The dimmed vision from sunglasses can be a little awkward to work with, but clearly it must also be more effective than non-dimming blue blocking glasses at preventing circadian disruption.
Yeah I agree. What kind of sunglasses did you use? Just a generic pair? I’ve started using an incandescent bulb past sunset and I’ve found it to be too stimulating and disrupts my sleep.

OP
TheSir

TheSir

Yeah I agree. What kind of sunglasses did you use? Just a generic pair? I’ve started using an incandescent bulb past sunset and I’ve found it to be too stimulating and disrupts my sleep.
Yep just some generic ones. I have a few of them and chose the most comfortable ones. I don't think it matters much, since we do not need to be concerned with UV protection and other attributes that expensive sunglasses have.

The natural circadian rhythm is sleep by 10:00 pm to ~ 6:00 am wake up.
Across the whole world? In every season? Why these hours in particular? I live in Finland so sunset/sunrise will be shifting by about 7 hours back and forth during the year. This would have some significance, would it not?
How far off from that are you @TheSir?
Today was the first day I woke up at around 11 am in a long time. Two hours down from my starting point at 1 pm. Currently it's almost 1 am and I'm about to hit the bed.

Lollipop2

Yep just some generic ones. I have a few of them and chose the most comfortable ones. I don't think it matters much, since we do not need to be concerned with UV protection and other attributes that expensive sunglasses have.

Across the whole world? In every season? Why these hours in particular? I live in Finland so sunset/sunrise will be shifting by about 7 hours back and forth during the year. This would have some significance, would it not?

Today was the first day I woke up at around 11 am in a long time. Two hours down from my starting point at 1 pm. Currently it's almost 1 am and I'm about to hit the bed.
From my understanding it is a general rule. NOW Finland and those daylight/night hour shifts and swings you guys get could possibly affect that. I am now curious and want to look that up :):

On another note, Hello up there in Finland! Some goods friends from there.

ReSTART

If you want to fix circadian rhyme, remove the curtains from your bedroom… if you don’t live in the city with bright street lights.

Lollipop2

This was interesting: the biological clock and the circadian rhythm work together. Some are different chronotypes: early bed early rise, some are late to sleep, late to rise. It seems what is most important is consistency to keep the master clock CSN and circadian rhythm in sync and it seems light access helps set both. He linked in the article to many articles about circadian rhythm.

I know when we married, my husband thought he was a night person going to bed late, but when we married, he followed my early rhythm 10:00pm sleep. Now he can’t do the late sleep anymore and he is way healthier and gets better sleep.

OccamzRazer

Interesting idea! I have thought about blue blocking glasses but they normally look kind of horrible and I guess I am too vain!

I just put my sunglasses on to try it this evening.
You just gotta find a nice brand bro!

I have this pair [Magnum Sleep+] and get compliments all the time. It's a different look, but different in a good way.

Try stopping listening to music or speech/noise from any device. The frequencies could keep you long awake too

LLight

The natural circadian rhythm is sleep by 10:00 pm to ~ 6:00 am wake up. How far off from that are you @TheSir?
There is this french professor of pharmacology (who was imprisoned in a psychiatric hospital in parallel of his harsh criticism of the crisis management and because he is accused of having run illegal trial of drugs against Alzheimer's disease) who claims that he has discovered the hormone of sleep (which is not melatonin of course) and that it is secreted from 10pm for everyone and at everytime of the year.

Edit : in fact melatonin follows the same 10pm-6am pattern regardless of the season.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Xp4nzeRfQ

Last edited:

Nomane Euger

So, for a few evenings now, I have been putting on a pair of sunglasses about 2-3 hours before I'm expecting to hit the bed, not taking them off until I'm in the bed. My sleep schedule has been shifting earlier by as much as 15-30 minutes a day. I first thought of using those blue-light blocking glasses, but I figured that sunglasses should work even better. I have set my screens and lights to the lowest level of brightness at which I can still read without too much difficulties.

I think my body is acquiring a form of Pavlovian conditioning to the glasses too. I put them on just 30 minutes ago and I'm already feeling the melatonin surging. My largest question for now is if by continuing this practice my sleep schedule would perpetually get earlier and earlier, or if I would eventually hit a schedule that the body would naturally prefer, a biologically wired circadian preference.

hi,i have blublox red glasses,that apparently filter all the spectrum of light that do impair melatonin production,i have used it for a year and more,the impact it has is unsignificant compare to the lvl of relaxion and sleepyness you can reach with certains foods,in many cases i reached a higher degree of relaxion and sleepyness,like kid sleepyness where i fall as sleep in less than a minute when the intense artificial bright light was on,compare to when the light was off and that i was wearing blublox sleep+ red glasses,so its possibly suboptimal for the highest degree of relaxion and dept of sleep to wear these type of glasses.plus i have more energy when i dont wear these and i keep the light on up until 10PM-11PM-midnight,the very day and the day after,i sleep better,i do have better dreams and more ,when i did wear these red glasses 2 to 3 hours before,less energy the very day and the day after,less good sleep,dreams not as good.longer period of intense light had more positive impact than wearing these and turning off light a few hours to sleep.it better to gauge when you should sleep from your motivation/exitation lvl,if you are to focus,to energic right before to sleep,you wont sleep as well,i do eat foods that relax me such as very ripe fruits, grass fed grass finished lamb/veal liver/kidneys/ certain animal fats,i do what i enjoy the whole evening up until i cant do it anymore,as my eyes start to close and i cant focus anymore.personally i tend to really feel sleepy arround 11PM midnight40,thats also when i sleep the best if i sleep at this moment,and thats also when i get the best dreams,best flying dreams,best sex dreams

Interesting, for sure it helps.
And how deep is your sleep?
When I was having the deepest sleep in my life I remember staying on my bed with the laptop in a dark room for at least 1 hour and sometimes I was using candles. I also used flux for the screen and it helped a lot.
I didn't notice at that moment that could be the cause of my deep sleep.
Ray peat also recommends not eating 2 hours before bed, try that, it's a life changing.

Last edited:

Nomane Euger

@Androsclerosis
Hi,if not eating foods 2 hours before to sleep. Do improve your sleep it’s indicative of how the food impact your relaxation negatively,whever because the food exited you,whever because you don’t digest it well,the deepest sleep you can get is right after you ate foodss that made you reach a high degree of relaxion.i would use this phenomenon of foods reducing my sleep quality if eaten some time before sleep as an indication that these foods are suboptimals and stress me more

OP
TheSir

TheSir

And how deep is your sleep?
Not very, in the sense that I can usually recall having briefly woken up 1-3 times through the night. This may have improved slightly in the past few days. When I was a child, I distinctly remember how I used not to wake up during the night, until at some point, at around 5-6 years old, I would suddenly begin experiencing a more interrupted sleep, and I recall wondering even back then why that was. The only way I've been able to replicate the sleep depth of my early childhood is by taking a benzo, which allowed me to wake up up 8 hours later in the same position in which I had fallen asleep. It would be amazing to acquire such level of sleep depth naturally.

Ray peat also recommends not eating 2 hours before bed, try that, it's a life changing.
I can believe that, since digesting is a taxing process. However, typically I will have to eat a small bowl of rice or a couple of fruits just before hitting the bed or I won't be able to fall asleep due to a subtle adrenaline surge from insufficient blood sugar, especially if I've eaten meat earlier in the evening. There was a thread recently about eating two tablespoons of honey before bed, this could work well since honey is so easy and fast to digest that it should not disrupt sleep.

Nomane Euger

Not very, in the sense that I can usually recall having briefly woken up 1-3 times through the night. This may have improved slightly in the past few days. When I was a child, I distinctly remember how I used not to wake up during the night, until at some point, at around 5-6 years old, I would suddenly begin experiencing a more interrupted sleep, and I recall wondering even back then why that was. The only way I've been able to replicate the sleep depth of my early childhood is by taking a benzo, which allowed me to wake up up 8 hours later in the same position in which I had fallen asleep. It would be amazing to acquire such level of sleep depth naturally.
hi,what is your diet?do you eat fresh grass fed grass finished liver that taste good unseasoned?do you expose yourself to sunlight?
I can believe that, since digesting is a taxing process. However, typically I will have to eat a small bowl of rice or a couple of fruits just before hitting the bed or I won't be able to fall asleep due to a subtle adrenaline surge from insufficient blood sugar, especially if I've eaten meat earlier in the evening. There was a thread recently about eating two tablespoons of honey before bed, this could work well since honey is so easy and fast to digest.
from my experience foods that made me feel better, made me feel better in the seconds after i ate it,even muscle meat and animal fat if well cooked in a very specific way,and i could do street work out right after i ate it,and sleep wonderfull too,if someone feel that a certain food reduce his energydue to digestion,he shouldnt eat this food in this given context .honey has a high taxing and depleting and worsening capacity,its good or not detrimental only if the rest of your diet contain enough fat soluables vitamins minerals and alkaline minerals

Last edited:

RollingStone

Use the amber-colored blue-blockers, especially if you have any LEDs or screens around you in the hours before bed. Sunglasses won't block the blue light like blue-blockers which is the kind of light that suppresses melatonin production the most. I consider the 20 dollars that I spent on blue-blockers to be just about the best 20 dollars I've ever spent.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals