Wealth / money will improve your metabolism more than anything

GreekDemiGod

Title. Being poor or middle class it the most stressful thing in the world.
It's not the "stressful modern world" that's the problem, it's you working a 9-5 and being stuck in the rat race. That's stressful. You have to find a way to substantially increase your status and financial situation in a way that you can win a lot of money while working little hours for it. You don't have to move to Ecuador and live monk-mode.
What you need to do is design a life where you have total freedom, where you can wake up without an alarm clock, where you can afford the finest experiences of live, whether that be culinary or of other nature. Once you achieve this, you get an immense weight of your shoulders.

Jing

It's not the "stressful modern world" that's the problem, it's you working a 9-5 and being stuck in the rat race. That's stressful. You have to find a way to substantially increase your status and financial situation in a way that you can win a lot of money while working little hours for it. You don't have to move to Ecuador and live monk-mode.
What you need to do is design a life where you have total freedom, where you can wake up without an alarm clock, where you can afford the finest experiences of live, whether that be culinary or of other nature. Once you achieve this, you get an immense weight of your shoulders.
Yh Ive been thinking this for awhile now , nothing is going to help metabolism if you are not happy with the surroundings no amount of supplements thyroid, calories etc will help . I also think it's the same for other things Not just wealth .

haidut

Forum Supporter
it's you working a 9-5 and being stuck in the rat race

This was the case for Baby Boomers. Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z now work pretty much around the clock, 7 days a week "thanks" to always-online social norms, which employers were of course more than happy to push/adopt and at this point actually even mandate by corporate policy. There is no requirement for capping work hours during a 24-hour period when you are a salaried employee. The 9-5 was the most employers were able to get away with back in the 20th century, given the limits of technology at time. With improving technology, the 9-5 is now completely obsolete except maybe for govt. employees, but it is heavily eroded even there. I work as a govt contractor and see that myself every day.
If a person could work 9-5 (even in a rat-race) and still support/afford a family, and have the remainder of the day to themselves, we probably won't be in nearly as poor shape as society and personally, as people.

Last edited:

Inaut

I don’t think money achieves this. It certainly help for those in the poor class but I think being content and happy with your work is a huge factor. I use work and not the word job specifically in this context. If you love what you do and can make a living off it, you don’t need to be wealthy per say. Also, I know a lot of “less fortunate” people who actually have simple yet happy lives. They don’t know any different

I will just drop this here> The increase in wealth of the world’s top 10 billionaires during the pandemic is more than enough to both pay for a Covid-19 vaccine for everyone on the planet and to reverse the rise in poverty caused by the coronavirus, Oxfam claims :mad:

PolishSun

We have all technology to work much less, and to keep life standard. With all automatization, robots, work salary should go to that level, that it would be enough to work few hours a week. But the whole system is a mess.

Bart1

I will just drop this here> The increase in wealth of the world’s top 10 billionaires during the pandemic is more than enough to both pay for a Covid-19 vaccine for everyone on the planet and to reverse the rise in poverty caused by the coronavirus, Oxfam claims :mad:
The big reset? People always tend to look at the billionaires as the cause of inequality. It’s easy, how can someone be so crazy rich right? In part it is maybe true, but the government is the real cause of most people being poor/be stuck in a rat race. The government will raise taxes every year because the government gets bigger every year and want to be able to have even more control. I few billionaires aren’t the real problem, they want you to think this. You are being robbed blind by the government , not only financially, but also of your health, your privacy your freedom

Inaut

I think governments do the bidding of these billion and trillionaires..... Just my 2c though

Luann

Being poor, in my experience, was a huge stressor, but not just because of worrying about money. Because of the lack of opportunities, lack of finding compatible people to live with and talk with and work with. Or insane work hours that cause you to forego academic or social opportunities.

However I more think that work / fatigue / alarm clock lifestyle is not the worst thing in the world as long as you find purpose in it

Cloudhands

This was the case for Baby Boomers. Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z now work pretty much around the clock, 7 days a week "thanks" to always-online social norms, which employers were of course more than happy to push/adopt and at this point actually even mandate by corporate policy. There is no requirement for capping work hours during a 24-hour period when you are a salaried employee. The 9-5 was the most employers were able to get away with back in the 20th century, given the limits of technology at time. With improving technology, the 9-5 is now completely obsolete except maybe for govt. employees, but it is heavily eroded even there. I work as a govt contractor and see that myself every day.
If a person could work 9-5 (even in a rat-race) and still support/afford a family, and have the remainder of the day to themselves, we probably won't be in nearly as poor shape as society and personally, as people.
Do you have any ideas of a what a poor, young person, with no debt, children or degree/skills should do? I have little weight pushing me in any direction and feel stuck with so many options, all seeming to have as many downsides as the next.

D

Deleted member 5487

Yh Ive been thinking this for awhile now , nothing is going to help metabolism if you are not happy with the surroundings no amount of supplements thyroid, calories etc will help . I also think it's the same for other things Not just wealth .

We live in a consumption based society (70% of GDP). When you consume you are fueling someone else income. Stop Consuming

If either of you own a car newer than 20 years(on credit) or leveraged yourself to the hilt for a walled shack(House) Just to profit the big banks I feel zero empathy.

Americans literally cast themselves into Debt-Peonage. Since marketing exploits the desire to "belong to the tribe" and have a BMW/House/clothes/Iphone.

It's a Simple Formula. You just do the Complete Opposite of everyone around you.
1612375966861.png

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you have any ideas of a what a poor, young person, with no debt, children or degree/skills should do? I have little weight pushing me in any direction and feel stuck with so many options, all seeming to have as many downsides as the next.

I think taking some practical courses for free at a local community college would be a good first step. Electrical, automotive, landscaping, even food-growing/preparation courses would all be good opportunities to develop some confidence in your own abilities and establishing business contacts would be helpful. Jobs at the local/state govt. may also be a viable option as often they do not ask for much in terms of degrees and theoretical knowledge and provide a lot of on-site training. I think Peat mentioned jobs in the govt in areas like land/forrest/wildlife management as still being very good in terms of low-stress and providing a sense of purpose and fulfillment. About a decade ago, doing independent IT consulting work (mostly in web design/building) was a good option if you have time and like to work remotely, but I am not sure how viable this is nowadays. Govt contracting is actually not bad, but in order to bid for contracts with feds you'd need to spend about several months applying for various contract scheduling programs, registering your company with various organizations, finding partners, etc. The contracts in the govt don't pay nearly as much as private work but tend to be longer term (3-5 years) so that provides some job security and thus a bit of peace of mind.

Cloudhands

I think taking some practical courses for free at a local community college would be a good first step. Electrical, automotive, landscaping, even food-growing/preparation courses would all be good opportunities to develop some confidence in your own abilities and establishing business contacts would be helpful. Jobs at the local/state govt. may also be a viable option as often they do not ask for much in terms of degrees and theoretical knowledge and provide a lot of on-site training. I think Peat mentioned jobs in the govt in areas like land/forrest/wildlife management as still being very good in terms of low-stress and providing a sense of purpose and fulfillment. About a decade ago, doing independent IT consulting work (mostly in web design/building) was a good option if you have time and like to work remotely, but I am not sure how viable this is nowadays. Govt contracting is actually not bad, but in order to bid for contracts with feds you'd need to spend about several months applying for various contract scheduling programs, registering your company with various organizations, finding partners, etc. The contracts in the govt don't pay nearly as much as private work but tend to be longer term (3-5 years) so that provides some job security and thus a bit of peace of mind.
Word, ill take your advice and go check out land/forest/wildlife jobs to begin with :)

haidut

Forum Supporter
We live in a consumption based society (70% of GDP). When you consume you are fueling someone else income. Stop Consuming

If either of you own a car newer than 20 years(on credit) or leveraged yourself to the hilt for a walled shack(House) Just to profit the big banks I feel zero empathy.

Americans literally cast themselves into Debt-Peonage. Since marketing exploits the desire to "belong to the tribe" and have a BMW/House/clothes/Iphone.

It's a Simple Formula. You just do the Complete Opposite of everyone around you.
View attachment 21518

Not sure why you are including me in the analysis. I was not complaining but simply commenting on the fact that for most people in a salaried (W-2) job working 9-5 and being able to make ends meet is no longer viable, but it was viable (and even the norm) in the past. Even if it was a boring job, they could unplug at 5 and go spend the rest of their day with whatever makes them happy/purposeful - be that family, friends, hobbies, etc.

D

Deleted member 5487

Go Trade school/CC.

Electrician and/or windmill/solar inspector.

Unless very high IQ wouldn't pursue STEM. Saturated with H1-B visas and senior engineers.

D

Deleted member 5487

Not sure why you are including me in the analysis. I was not complaining but simply commenting on the fact that for most people in a salaried (W-2) job working 9-5 and being able to make ends meet is no longer viable, but it was viable (and even the norm) in the past. Even if it was a boring job, they could unplug at 5 and go spend the rest of their day with whatever makes them happy/purposeful - be that family, friends, hobbies, etc.
That lifestyle or the experimental middle class period of the 50-70s. Has been being dismantled for decades.

Where People go Wrong is lying to themselves and those around them that it's still possible. They now cast themselves into debt-peonage for decades to try do the whole Rockefeller "American Dream" House/Car/2.4 Kids thing he made up back in the day. So yeah the 9-5 is not a viable for that lifestyle. But if you reject societal "life paths" you can live extremely comfortably and enjoy travel, technology, entertainment, creative pursuits.

PolishSun

View attachment 21518
I agree that here is a strong peer pressure to have big houses, new cars and so on. You can end up being bullied for not having those things, and look weak, so you will be prayed on. A bit lower standards of living would not hurt. But many people grow on Hollywood movies and do not question if it is ok to live by those clichés.

pro marker

It's not the "stressful modern world" that's the problem,
thats a very broad generalisation. many of my family members are very rich, live in huge houses with lots of space, got out of the rat race in their 30s, and live the stress free life. yet they suffer from cancer, and lots of other health problems bc of vaccines, poor diets, emf etc.
substantially increase your status and financial situation in a way that you can win a lot of money while working little hours for it
i mean its a huge help no doubt, but unless you can buy your own emf free island where everyone is allowed to think for themselves and cows are allowed to grace all day and provide delicious milk, you're still gonna be stuck in a shitty world, in your own lonely health bubble. the happiest people on earth have nearly nothing. I've never seen a billionaire smile the way Africans living in the bush do.

PolishSun

Do something what every person really needs: electrician, plumber, auto mechanic etc. because then you would be providing something valuable for other people. Things like bookkeeping or design, or marketing are useless.

Inaut

I think buckminster fullers statement about doing work that adds value to your environment is very important. If you can find something that does this, that’s more than half the battle.