Wealth / money will improve your metabolism more than anything

gaze

Do something what every person really needs: electrician, plumber, auto mechanic etc. because then you would be providing something valuable for other people. Things like bookkeeping or design, or marketing are useless.
electrician, plumber, and auto mechanics are exposed to emfs, backbreaking work, and toxic gas fumes and emissions. physical health is important too and should be considered when choosing a job. many plumbers feel like sh** by the time they're 40. very hard on the back and knees

PolishSun

electrician, plumber, and auto mechanics are exposed to emfs, backbreaking work, and toxic gas fumes and emissions. physical health is important too and should be considered when choosing a job. many plumbers feel like sh** by the time they're 40. very hard on the back and knees
Person who installs electricity in a residential house? The same amount as people who live there. Plumbers earn so much in many countries they can work one day a week and survive, the ones I know do part-time job. Auto mechanics well, I do not know about that. Any job will ruin health if it takes to long hours and is stressful.

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

I think buckminster fullers statement about doing work that adds value to your environment is very important. If you can find something that does this, that’s more than half the battle.
That is also a good point. Working in a corporation to bring sales numbers up or to make your CEO rich adds little value and meaning. You're a cog in the machine.
i mean its a huge help no doubt, but unless you can buy your own emf free island where everyone is allowed to think for themselves and cows are allowed to grace all day and provide delicious milk, you're still gonna be stuck in a shitty world, in your own lonely health bubble. the happiest people on earth have nearly nothing. I've never seen a billionaire smile the way Africans living in the bush do.
It matters because you can travel a lot, you can be in a vacation 2-3 months / year. Even if you live in a major city, your life will be relatively stress-free, especially if you have a good social life, you can afford quality food, you have the luxury of free time.

I personally work in software. Since March 2020, I work fully remote, due to COVID. But before I used to go to the office 100% of the time.
100% remote work / work-from-home sure is a luxury to be appreciated, you've escaped the commuting stress, you can recharge better, but I still find it sad and restricting. If you're on the clock from 9-5, you only have the illusion of more freedom.
What if I want to go at noon for 2 hours in the park outside, just to relax and not worry about anything? Can't, always am stressed about my work schedule, if I take a 2hr break, I finish work 1hr later. And now I have less free time in the evening.

gaze

anyone try living solely on stock trading? on andrew kim's account profile on some investing website it says his career earnings off swing trading are like 600k. not bad...

Rave re-peat

Title. Being poor or middle class it the most stressful thing in the world.
It's not the "stressful modern world" that's the problem, it's you working a 9-5 and being stuck in the rat race. That's stressful. You have to find a way to substantially increase your status and financial situation in a way that you can win a lot of money while working little hours for it. You don't have to move to Ecuador and live monk-mode.
What you need to do is design a life where you have total freedom, where you can wake up without an alarm clock, where you can afford the finest experiences of live, whether that be culinary or of other nature. Once you achieve this, you get an immense weight of your shoulders.

This doesnt ring true to me. Being poor like for real for sure. But if you live in a developed country and have average job you have all you need. If you view your 9-5 job as a Rat race then thats your problem. Its all mental head space. One problem today tho is that social circles and status, People Chase and Care about that ***t. Thats why even tho they are succesfull and make Good money they are Still depressed and unhappy today. Theyve been Brain washed to believe that they need more status and money to be better. Just like you said. Its an illusion. The stress your talking about is not a stress you have of not having things. Its a stress youve artificially created on yourself telling yourself that your life is not Good enough and that it would be easier IF you had more money. Even this forum is very stressfull for alot of people coz they come here with a mentallity that they are sick and need to get better. When Many Times its just all in their head. And here we nurture their believes and say like oh yeah have you tried this? Tried that?
We watch Instagram, movies and make ourselves believe we need that.
Its like did you ever know you liked Coca cola before you ever tasted it?
After you tasted it not getting it or having cola is now a stress.

Kykeon

@haidut you mention a study where rats are smarter when wearing a little rat hat / warmer brain(faster at solving a labyrinth puzzle iirc), this has now caused me great interest in learning more. Was it even you that said this? i dont know, i watched too many podcasts now.
pls help me out, i can not find it anymore

Bart1

anyone try living solely on stock trading? on andrew kim's account profile on some investing website it says his career earnings off swing trading are like 600k. not bad...
I do, but not really stock trading/swing trading, more stock investing, so long term holding of stocks and sometimes options

gaze

I do, but not really stock trading/swing trading, more stock investing, so long term holding of stocks and sometimes options
Im thinking about doing the same. I have a decent amount saved up to try it and have had pretty good success doing it as a side job/hobby. You have any books you'd recommend? It's a lot different beast doing it as a career as opposed to something on the side. I wouldn't do swing trading either, not a fan.

Bart1

Im thinking about doing the same. I have a decent amount saved up to try it and have had pretty good success doing it as a side job/hobby. You have any books you'd recommend? It's a lot different beast doing it as a career as opposed to something on the side. I wouldn't do swing trading either, not a fan.
Yes I have:

The Intelligent Investor - Benjamin Graham (old one, but still good especially for mindset, you could also start with the other books)
The Little Book that Builds Wealth by Pat Dorsey
Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond by Bruce Greenwald

I focus on long term, value oriented and/or growth oriented. I think the edge you have as an non professional investor is your long term orientation. To hold stocks long term you to have conviction and be able to maintain perspective during market turmoils.

I think you can do pretty well if you spend some time on it and have the proper mindset...(the mindset is important, especially like you said when it's for income instead of on the side)

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

I think what bothers me about the 9-5 lifestyle of adulthood is the rigidness of it all. The monotony of doing the same thing everyday, of having little novelty in life, of waking every day except the weekend to an alarm clock. Serotonergic lifestyle. Of always having to be producting, at not having the luxury of sleeping in in some mornings, of not having time for when you need emotional healing. This is why I have to break out of it. Your life is literally molded and shaped by your job, you just become an NPC.

lampofred

I think what bothers me about the 9-5 lifestyle of adulthood is the rigidness of it all. The monotony of doing the same thing everyday, of having little novelty in life, of waking every day except the weekend to an alarm clock. Serotonergic lifestyle. Of always having to be producting, at not having the luxury of sleeping in in some mornings, of not having time for when you need emotional healing. This is why I have to break out of it. Your life is literally molded and shaped by your job, you just become an NPC.

Work isn't necessarily supposed to be enjoyable, just tolerable, but your co-workers are supposed to make it enjoyable. But half the population has turned into zombies.

baccheion

Do you have any ideas of a what a poor, young person, with no debt, children or degree/skills should do? I have little weight pushing me in any direction and feel stuck with so many options, all seeming to have as many downsides as the next.
Save at least 50% of take-home salary to a high-yield investment account (even if just buying into S&P 500). One-way street, as even in retirement you'd be living on the interest. Always pay cash (ie, avoid debt), even for a car or house.

No need for a house if there aren't any children. Rent if so eager. Otherwise, see rule above. Don't have children until over 30.

Pillars of life amount to what costs most time, money, and/or energy. Main examples: sleep (ie, bed), significant other, job, communication, laptop and other expensive items, etc. Spend necessary time on pillars such that they don't run away from you.

Who would scan all apartments in an all areas to be aware of where to live (easier now, I suppose)? What about all houses to begin keeping track of changes? What about a scanning of potential matches (also easier now with many dating apps, I suppose)? What about learning and improving game/seduction (a part of which is dressing, grooming, health, hormonal energy, etc) to maximize/optimize matches? What about sex skills and penis aesthetic? What about learning and ever improving communication skills?

Put time and energy where it matters.

Most people waste time. The rest face and/or fight against having it wasted.

Wake up at 6am and go to bed at 10pm. More generally is to rise with the sun (up anywhere between 6:30am and 7:30am), going to bed ~8 hours prior. Look at a list of things you are grateful for and other motivational tape steps. Write down goals, going over them at least each morning. No need to become anal/judger-like about them, but as guidelines they aid in maintaining perspective.

Some do better with routine/habituation. Others with schedules, planners, checklists, etc. Find whichever works and begin.

Pick something and master it. It's not a hobby, career, or anything (though sometimes they overlap). Rather, it's in play to become an expert/master at something. Anything.

Learn to meditate and how to maintain a state of mindfulness.

At most 5-10% of romantic pairings can be minimally mutually satisfying once the dust settles. 50% of first marriages between those 26-35 end in divorce within 10 years. 2/3rds of second and 75% of third end in divorce within 10 years. Typical age of marriage is 29 for males and 28 for women. 80% of people over 40 have been married at least once. 80% of women over 40 have had at least 1 child. Look at graphs of marriage rates and such.

Determine if you are part of the 5-10%, especially in the specific case. If not, why are you getting married. Tough decisions.

Figure out who you are. What are you like? What interests? What interests above the norms? What desires? What core needs (eg, being more introverted and needing time alone)? How sensitive? How resilient? How persistent? How reliable? What are your strengths? What could be strengths? Which have commercial viability? What weaknesses? Which are a real liability and/or need protection?

Are you going to do it? How long will it take? What do you need? Who's help? How are you going to get it? When will you start? Are you going to finish? How far are you prepared to go?

Many spend their life running from pain. The rest seem obsessed with sitting in it for no reason. Shouldn't be scared of pain. Rather, it's to ensure it's not wasted.

Continually develop yourself, especially in key areas. The more you know and better prepared you are, the less roadblocks/waste and the more progress.

Go down the category list on Amazon. Books. Use the category names and book titles as inspiration.

Lazy and efficient aren't the same thing.

Make some new year resolutions. Refine until crystal clear and to the point of baby steps (ie, you could automate). Get specific until you can almost literally see it all. Let it marinate. Meditate on it. Immersion. If a goal/desire isn't big enough to warrant such time and energy expenditure, it's a waste of time.

Cloudhands

Personally im not going to raise children unless i become pretty affluent. The worlds crazy enough and i would rat
Save at least 50% of take-home salary to a high-yield investment account (even if just buying into S&P 500). One-way street, as even in retirement you'd be living on the interest. Always pay cash (ie, avoid debt), even for a car or house.

No need for a house if there aren't any children. Rent if so eager. Otherwise, see rule above. Don't have children until over 30.

Pillars of life amount to what costs most time, money, and/or energy. Main examples: sleep (ie, bed), significant other, job, communication, laptop and other expensive items, etc. Spend necessary time on pillars such that they don't run away from you.

Who would scan all apartments in an all areas to be aware of where to live (easier now, I suppose)? What about all houses to begin keeping track of changes? What about a scanning of potential matches (also easier now with many dating apps, I suppose)? What about learning and improving game/seduction (a part of which is dressing, grooming, health, hormonal energy, etc) to maximize/optimize matches? What about sex skills and penis aesthetic? What about learning and ever improving communication skills?

Wake up at 6am and go to bed at 10pm. More generally is to rise with the sun (up anywhere between 6:30am and 7:30am), going to bed ~8 hours prior. Look at a list of things you are grateful for and other motivational tape steps. Write down goals, going over them at least each morning. No need to become anal/judger-like about them, but as guidelines they aid in maintaining perspective.

Some do better with routine/habituation. Others with schedules, planners, checklists, etc. Find whichever works and begin.

Pick something and master it. It's not a hobby, career, or anything (though sometimes they overlap). Rather, it's in play to become an expert/master at something. Anything.

At most 5-10% of romantic pairings can be minimally mutually satisfying once the dust settles. 50% of first marriages between those 26-35 end in divorce within 10 years. 2/3rds of second and 75% of third end in divorce within 10 years. Typical age of marriage is 29 for males and 28 for women. 80% of people over 40 have been married at least once. 80% of women over 40 have had at least 1 child. Look at graphs of marriage rates and such.

Determine if you are part of the 5-10%, especially in the specific case. If not, why are you getting married. Tough decisions.

Figure out who you are. What are you like? What interests? What interests above the norms? What desires? What core needs (eg, being more introverted and needing time alone)? How sensitive? How resilient? How persistent? How reliable? What are your strengths? What could be strengths? Which have commercial viability? What weaknesses? Which are a real liability and/or need protection?

Are you going to do it? How long will it take? What do you need? Who's help? How are you going to get it? When will you start? Are you going to finish? How far are you prepared to go?

Many spend their life running from pain. The rest seem obsessed with sitting in it for no reason. Shouldn't be scared of pain. Rather, it's to ensure it's not wasted.

Continually develop yourself, especially in key areas. The more you know and better prepared you are, the less roadblocks/waste and the more progress.

Go down the category list on Amazon. Books. Use the category names and book titles as inspiration.

Make some new year resolutions. Refine until crystal clear and to the point of baby steps (ie, you could automate). Get specific until you can almost literally see it all. Let it marinate. Meditate on it. Immersion. If a goal/desire isn't big enough to warrant such time and energy expenditure, it's a waste of time.
Thats some solid advice, im gonna let it all marinate and i really appreciate it.

Out of curiosity, how old are you? In my head i always imagined you were around my age (24ish)

baccheion

Personally im not going to raise children unless i become pretty affluent. The worlds crazy enough and i would rat

Thats some solid advice, im gonna let it all marinate and i really appreciate it.

Out of curiosity, how old are you? In my head i always imagined you were around my age (24ish)
Soon to be 35. Why?

Zpol

I don't have the answers but I've been doing the income snowball method and so far it's working and I'll be able to retire from my 50+ hour work week as a prepress technician in 6 years (when I'm 48), possibly sooner. At that point, I will still be making my current income but it'll be from entirely passive income so I will be free to switch to a more meaningful career without worrying about what it pays. Or, I might spend my time learning how to farm or something like that.

If anyone is interested, the income snowball is a patented method, invented by an amazing lady by the name of Tanisha Souza.
She runs a company called Tardus Wealth Strategies. I don't want to sound like an advertisement. Thought I'd post this in case someone here might be interested.

Edit: I'm doing this because I'm already sick, and having money to buy all things (organic high quality foods, safe supplements, alternative health, lab work, etc) I need to thrive has been imperative to my maintaining my independence. But I know, as I get older it's harder to maintain health with such a stressful job so I'm preparing to get out.
However, if one starts out healthy right out of high school, I believe it'd be fairly inexpensive and easy to maintain a high metabolism with some strategic planning and a little bit of knowledge.

Last edited:

gaze

Yes I have:

The Intelligent Investor - Benjamin Graham (old one, but still good especially for mindset, you could also start with the other books)
The Little Book that Builds Wealth by Pat Dorsey
Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond by Bruce Greenwald

I focus on long term, value oriented and/or growth oriented. I think the edge you have as an non professional investor is your long term orientation. To hold stocks long term you to have conviction and be able to maintain perspective during market turmoils.

I think you can do pretty well if you spend some time on it and have the proper mindset...(the mindset is important, especially like you said when it's for income instead of on the side)
interesting. I had a gut feeling you were into the traditional value investing. it seems like most people who invest long term and are relatively succesful are using this train of thought. although those books are the foundations (which i haven't read yet), my first investing book was "the most important illuminated " by howard marks, which has similar themes, and I've read and watched a lot of peter lynch's stuff, which I enjoy.

Last edited:

gaze

good, practical advice. thanks for sharing

tankasnowgod

thats a very broad generalisation. many of my family members are very rich, live in huge houses with lots of space, got out of the rat race in their 30s, and live the stress free life. yet they suffer from cancer, and lots of other health problems bc of vaccines, poor diets, emf etc.

How do you know they live a "stress free life?" Just having money and a big house doesn't insulate you from stressors, like health issues, marital issues, and such. Rich people frequently get divorced, and even if finances were good beforehand, well, money can suddenly become a stressor again.

Also, just because they seem rich doesn't mean they are. No one really owns a house anymore, most have mortgages, and pretty much everyone pays property taxes. A friend I knew that got married and had an awesome big house a while back, actually had massive financial issues. See, her husband turned out to be not that great of a guy, and also never paid the mortgage, he just kept on refinancing and refinancing (and taking some cash out and spending it each time, so just making the principle bigger and bigger). They eventually got evicted, and she divorced him. All the things that I thought were going well for her turned out to be a huge mirage.

equipoise

How do you know they live a "stress free life?" Just having money and a big house doesn't insulate you from stressors, like health issues, marital issues, and such. Rich people frequently get divorced, and even if finances were good beforehand, well, money can suddenly become a stressor again.

Also, just because they seem rich doesn't mean they are. No one really owns a house anymore, most have mortgages, and pretty much everyone pays property taxes. A friend I knew that got married and had an awesome big house a while back, actually had massive financial issues. See, her husband turned out to be not that great of a guy, and also never paid the mortgage, he just kept on refinancing and refinancing (and taking some cash out and spending it each time, so just making the principle bigger and bigger). They eventually got evicted, and she divorced him. All the things that I thought were going well for her turned out to be a huge mirage.
Aye the illusion of wealth. People are willing to venture into great distances to keep up with their money and status even if that means completely neglecting their psyche, friends. You give people some money most of them are gonna get greedy, the human core principles more often than not do not change. It sure is handy being a bit more wealthy if you managed to keep your life stressors at bare minimum, as that would imply you could travel more, eat better food etc.