We All Scream For No Cream Ice Cream - In Minutes! (with photos)

"Blood sugar also seems to be low in migraine, so that some people find that eating a large amount of ice cream can interrupt the symptoms. This observation might be what we need to understand the role of sleep in health. We all know how hard it is to sleep when we are hungry (low blood sugar), and how sleepy we sometimes get after a big meal. Low sugar levels in the blood can literally starve some cells into malfunctioning.” – Dr Ray Peat

When i first started applying myself to Ray Peat's science, almost 5 years ago, I did not feel comfortable with the idea of all the sugar. I added it in my coffee and had a little more jelly, but that was about it. I never really like sugary things, even as a kid, so I wasn't anxious to make it a staple in my diet.

As the first year went by, reading more I started to get more comfortable trying more sugar by adding more fruit. My big other big sugar splurge at this point was making macadamia nut butter and pairing it with seedless raspberry jelly. I made sure to take a batch with me on vacation for a quick energy and healthy snacking. Sometimes, when vacationing at our timeshare, we would go to the ice cream case after a dinner out, and i would buy a pint of my favorite Haagen Daz "Vanilla Swiss Almond", but this particular time all they had in the ice cream case was many cartons of Haagen Daz coffee flavor. "What a stupid flavor", I said out loud, and bought it anyway so I could properly balance all the protein ibhad eaten at dinner. That night I almost ate the whole pint! I couldn't believe how good this ice cream was tasting AND making feel. I was even happier than my normal happy, and surprised how good I slept that night too! Strangely, the next morning my stomach was so flat! My "Vanilla Swiss Almond" flavor never made me look, or feel, like that. I was hooked on that coffee flavor after that, and convinced that Ray Peat's coffee and sugar science is a big key, that did eventually open the door to my good health!

As time went on, I got too confident. I starting having my beloved Haagen Daz coffee ice cream for breakfast, or after breakfast, and often as a middle of the day "pick me up". Before I knew it I had muffin top coming out of the top of my pants! I was baffled because Ray Peat said ice cream is an almost perfect food, and it made my stomach flatter on vacation? Five "Peaty" years later I get it now! Starches and fat make you fat, and there is a lot of fat in that little serving of Haagen Daz Coffee ice cream, and I was having it on top of normal eating!

I have since given up that magical coffee ice cream, just because I realized as clean as it is compared to EVERY other ice cream on the market, I can do better. So I started making it homemade, by cooking the grass fed milk and cream and pastured eggs, but the process was time consuming AND was still just as fattening. I tried to figure out ways to skip those yolks and cream and somehow just make myself a frozen milk, but I knew it would freeze up hard, like an ice cube. I needed something thick like yolks to give my new yolk free ice cream a scoop-ability. I tried gelatin powder, honeycomb, lemon curd and sweetened condensed milk and they all turned out well, but the sweetened condensed milk was the logical winner for taste and nutrition.

Let's compare Haagen Daaz Vanilla ice cream to mine:

2/3 cup Haagen Daz has:
fat 23 grams
protein 5 grams
Calcium 10%

2/3 cup of MINE:
fat 11 grams
protein 11 grams
35% calcium

We SO love my ice cream version, not just because it is much lower in fat and higher in nutrition, but because it doesn't feel regretful afterwards from being so rich. Though your ice cream maker may vary, I have one with a pre-frozen bucket, and because there is no cream in my recipe, after churning my ice cream for 25 minutes I have to put it back in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes more, then give it one last minute crank. I don't know if it is because my ice cream maker has been used 100+ times, but I am sure getting it frozen will be different with different machines. Feel free to sub out a cup of milk and add in a cup of cream if you want a richer taste. I like to use half Benoit or Alexandre milk because their cream content is higher at 11 grams and 14 grams of fat compared to my raw whole milk which is 8 grams of fat. For the other half I use the raw whole milk for better digestibility. I keep several cans of sweetened condensed milk in the fridge at all times so everything is very cold going into the ice cream maker. It will not freeze up well if you don't keep everything cold. So here is how I do it.

Mix, in a Bullet blender 3 cups of whole milk with 1 can of CHILLED organic sweetened condensed milk, a couple of teaspoons of vanilla extract and a pinch of Maldon flaked salt. Let it go through a couple of cycles, blending for about a full minute, then pour into the ice cream maker and let it churn till it is thick and scoopable! That is it!

You can make lots of variations on this recipe. Adding the zest of a couple of oranges before blending gives it a very orange vanilla flavor. Subbing a cup of milk for a cup of blended fresh strawberries or Greek yogurt are our other favorites. Other times I throw in some lecithin free Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips. Just leaving it vanilla leaves even more fun ways to use this ice cream. Attached are photos of some of my creations!

Attachments

• 20210110_143421.jpg
    20210110_143421.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 324
  • 20201129_164837.jpg
    20201129_164837.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 312
  • 20210323_222136.jpg
    20210323_222136.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 270
  • 20210127_172220.jpg
    20210127_172220.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 248
  • 20210123_164529.jpg
    20210123_164529.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 20210110_145124.jpg
    20210110_145124.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 239
  • 20201201_220859.jpg
    20201201_220859.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 20210516_182057.jpg
    20210516_182057.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 20201201_103625.jpg
    20201201_103625.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 204
  • 20210122_110650.jpg
    20210122_110650.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 311

Philomath

Those look terrific! For your chocolate fudge ice cream, do you add cocoa powder alone? How much are you adding?
Also, I’m guessing the fingerlime “caviar” is just the pulp, no?
I have all the tools and ingredients... I’m ready to go! Thanks for the recipes and nutritional data!

GreenTrails

"Blood sugar also seems to be low in migraine, so that some people find that eating a large amount of ice cream can interrupt the symptoms. This observation might be what we need to understand the role of sleep in health. We all know how hard it is to sleep when we are hungry (low blood sugar), and how sleepy we sometimes get after a big meal. Low sugar levels in the blood can literally starve some cells into malfunctioning.” – Dr Ray Peat

When i first started applying myself to Ray Peat's science, almost 5 years ago, I did not feel comfortable with the idea of all the sugar. I added it in my coffee and had a little more jelly, but that was about it. I never really like sugary things, even as a kid, so I wasn't anxious to make it a staple in my diet.

As the first year went by, reading more I started to get more comfortable trying more sugar by adding more fruit. My big other big sugar splurge at this point was making macadamia nut butter and pairing it with seedless raspberry jelly. I made sure to take a batch with me on vacation for a quick energy and healthy snacking. Sometimes, when vacationing at our timeshare, we would go to the ice cream case after a dinner out, and i would buy a pint of my favorite Haagen Daz "Vanilla Swiss Almond", but this particular time all they had in the ice cream case was many cartons of Haagen Daz coffee flavor. "What a stupid flavor", I said out loud, and bought it anyway so I could properly balance all the protein ibhad eaten at dinner. That night I almost ate the whole pint! I couldn't believe how good this ice cream was tasting AND making feel. I was even happier than my normal happy, and surprised how good I slept that night too! Strangely, the next morning my stomach was so flat! My "Vanilla Swiss Almond" flavor never made me look, or feel, like that. I was hooked on that coffee flavor after that, and convinced that Ray Peat's coffee and sugar science is a big key, that did eventually open the door to my good health!

As time went on, I got too confident. I starting having my beloved Haagen Daz coffee ice cream for breakfast, or after breakfast, and often as a middle of the day "pick me up". Before I knew it I had muffin top coming out of the top of my pants! I was baffled because Ray Peat said ice cream is an almost perfect food, and it made my stomach flatter on vacation? Five "Peaty" years later I get it now! Starches and fat make you fat, and there is a lot of fat in that little serving of Haagen Daz Coffee ice cream, and I was having it on top of normal eating!

I have since given up that magical coffee ice cream, just because I realized as clean as it is compared to EVERY other ice cream on the market, I can do better. So I started making it homemade, by cooking the grass fed milk and cream and pastured eggs, but the process was time consuming AND was still just as fattening. I tried to figure out ways to skip those yolks and cream and somehow just make myself a frozen milk, but I knew it would freeze up hard, like an ice cube. I needed something thick like yolks to give my new yolk free ice cream a scoop-ability. I tried gelatin powder, honeycomb, lemon curd and sweetened condensed milk and they all turned out well, but the sweetened condensed milk was the logical winner for taste and nutrition.

Let's compare Haagen Daaz Vanilla ice cream to mine:

2/3 cup Haagen Daz has:
fat 23 grams
protein 5 grams
Calcium 10%

2/3 cup of MINE:
fat 11 grams
protein 11 grams
35% calcium

We SO love my ice cream version, not just because it is much lower in fat and higher in nutrition, but because it doesn't feel regretful afterwards from being so rich. Though your ice cream maker may vary, I have one with a pre-frozen bucket, and because there is no cream in my recipe, after churning my ice cream for 25 minutes I have to put it back in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes more, then give it one last minute crank. I don't know if it is because my ice cream maker has been used 100+ times, but I am sure getting it frozen will be different with different machines. Feel free to sub out a cup of milk and add in a cup of cream if you want a richer taste. I like to use half Benoit or Alexandre milk because their cream content is higher at 11 grams and 14 grams of fat compared to my raw whole milk which is 8 grams of fat. For the other half I use the raw whole milk for better digestibility. I keep several cans of sweetened condensed milk in the fridge at all times so everything is very cold going into the ice cream maker. It will not freeze up well if you don't keep everything cold. So here is how I do it.

Mix, in a Bullet blender 3 cups of whole milk with 1 can of CHILLED organic sweetened condensed milk, a couple of teaspoons of vanilla extract and a pinch of Maldon flaked salt. Let it go through a couple of cycles, blending for about a full minute, then pour into the ice cream maker and let it churn till it is thick and scoopable! That is it!

You can make lots of variations on this recipe. Adding the zest of a couple of oranges before blending gives it a very orange vanilla flavor. Subbing a cup of milk for a cup of blended fresh strawberries or Greek yogurt are our other favorites. Other times I throw in some lecithin free Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips. Just leaving it vanilla leaves even more fun ways to use this ice cream. Attached are photos of some of my creations!
This looks delicious! May I ask what kind of ice cream maker do you have?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Those look terrific! For your chocolate fudge ice cream, do you add cocoa powder alone? How much are you adding?
Also, I’m guessing the fingerlime “caviar” is just the pulp, no?
I have all the tools and ingredients... I’m ready to go! Thanks for the recipes and nutritional data!
Philomath! This thread is for you! I know you have been anxiously waiting :) I am excited for you to make some! Yes I use this cocoa powder for the fudge cycle ice cream and I swap in some cream for the milk, like a half cup. The cocoa powder is 2 TB per cup of milk, but you can add less for a lighter taste. Everything else is the same recipe as the vanilla. I even made a special request, Rocky Road last weekend swapping in a cup of cream and adding some marshmallows and slivered almonds at the last few minutes of churning! The fingerlime sundae is my favorite! Be sure to have the sweetened condensed milk cold before topping the ice cream with it or melts it fast. The fingerlimes you cut in half and squeeze and all the little caviar pops right out. When I can find them I freeze a bunch!

Attachments

• 20210622_094615.jpg
    20210622_094615.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210622_094624.jpg
    20210622_094624.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210617_193555.jpg
    20210617_193555.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 76
OP
Rinse & rePeat
This looks delicious! May I ask what kind of ice cream maker do you have?
I bought this exact one with the ice cream sticker on it, several years ago. Boy has it gotten expensive or maybe it is discontinued and hard to find. You keep the canister in the freezer for 17 hours and there is only a plastic piece that goes in and top. The clean up is so easy!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210622-102228_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-102228_Samsung Internet.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 143

akgrrrl

I bought this exact one with the ice cream sticker on it, several years ago. Boy has it gotten expensive or maybe it is discontinued and hard to find. You keep the canister in the freezer for 17 hours and there is only a plastic piece that goes in and top. The clean up is so easy!
Best most useful delicious post.

I am eager to transform my old fave recipes to yours.

Avocado lime
Fresh mango vanilla nutmeg

robertf

That is interesting Robertf. I would say mine is lighter than normal ice cream. I do whip it in the Bullet a good amount of time which helps. It would be great to see someone post some other flavor creations here. Have you made Kulfi Robertf?
I have made kulfi and had it at some indian restaurants and it is really good. If you concentrate the milk enough you won't be able to tell that cream is missing. You can make it as low or high fat as you want. It looks like you rediscovered kulfi. If you are a diehard ice cream connoisseur then you will purchase one of those freezer compressor ice cream machines that will churn out frozen from room temp in an hour, no more 24 hour pre-freezing of the bowl.

Amazon product ASIN B07P18X132View: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Klarstein-Vanilla-Cream-Machine-Compressor/dp/B07P18X132/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=eismaschine+klarstein&qid=1624386840&sr=8-1

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have made kulfi and had it at some indian restaurants and it is really good. If you concentrate the milk enough you won't be able to tell that cream is missing. You can make it as low or high fat as you want. It looks like you rediscovered kulfi. If you are a diehard ice cream connoisseur then you will purchase one of those freezer compressor ice cream machines that will churn out frozen from room temp in an hour, no more 24 hour pre-freezing of the bowl.

Amazon product ASIN B07P18X132View: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Klarstein-Vanilla-Cream-Machine-Compressor/dp/B07P18X132/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=eismaschine+klarstein&qid=1624386840&sr=8-1
I am excited to think I have reinvented a beloved traditional dessert! I love sweetened condensed milk! I keep intending to make this homemade version with grass fed milk, and now a batch of kulfi while I am at it :D

OP
Rinse & rePeat
When you get to making ice cream regularly, you are gonna be needing containers. I bought this big one for the vanilla and smaller pint ones for other various flavors.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210622-101549_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-101549_Samsung Internet.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 82

GreenTrails

Thank you!

equipoise

Mouth watering stuff @Rinse & rePeat ! As always you deliver, your recipes and engagement on forum are second to none. Thanks a lot.
As far as the store bought stuff goes, there's only Haagen Dasz to pick from where I'm from, and it's absurdly expensive. So I better get around to making some delicious homemade icecream!

SamYo123

Someones hormones may work better with starch and fat combined, therefore they can potentially lose weight people say its hormones yes?

Even if its calories in and out you can eat starch and fat if you are in a calorie deficit and lose the weight

What other way is there?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Mouth watering stuff @Rinse & rePeat ! As always you deliver, your recipes and engagement on forum are second to none. Thanks a lot.
As far as the store bought stuff goes, there's only Haagen Dasz to pick from where I'm from, and it's absurdly expensive. So I better get around to making some delicious homemade icecream!
Equipoise the 5 minutes spent will make you never want Haagen Daz again! You really made my day saying so many nice things! It inspires me to keep it up! Let me know how yours turns out! Thank you again for inspiring me! ?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is the recipe I use for that flourless brownie sundae! It takes about 10 minutes from start to finish to get it in the oven.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here was breakfast today! I posted the instructions on how to cut the cantaloupe on page 2 of my "Peaty Fruits & Vegetables" thread.?

"Combining milk and cheese with fruits adds to the antistress effect. The additional sugar and potassium and other minerals allow the milk protein to be used more efficiently, by moderating the secretion of cortisol, and helping to inhibit the secretion of PTH." -Ray Peat

Attachments

• 20210628_173306.jpg
    20210628_173306.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 43
Last edited: