Ways to lower Ammonia

OP
A

Andy316

Cinnamon is a problem for me with histamine reactions

Perhaps thats why the insomnia since I have histamine issues too. Best to take small amounts of tea in the morning only then.

Elize

Really, I'm usually really sensitive to histamine .
But I took 500mg around an hour ago and noticed only benefits .
What symptoms do you get from cinnamon?
Rash, itch, dandruff, sleep issues and pressure behind my eyes. Cinnamon is a histamine liberator.

Mauritio

Rash, itch, dandruff, sleep issues and pressure behind my eyes. Cinnamon is a histamine liberator.
Ok thx , will keep an eye out for those symptoms.

Although these 2 studies show an anti allergy/histamine effect of cinnamon...

Elize

Try using the sticks of Ceylon cinnamon make a tea rather than ingesting the powder

Mauritio

Try using the sticks of Ceylon cinnamon make a tea rather than ingesting the powder
Why ?

I used 500mg of ceylon powder yesterday, made me feel absolutely fantastic . My brain fog was gone (ammonia clearing) ,mood better , first felt really calm ,later a little stimulated ,but still slept really well .
Today I did feel a little groggy and my stool was a little softish . I think theres some intestinal detox going on . Unsurprisingly as ceylon cinnamon is both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
I'll reduce the dosage today to 100mg.

Elize

The powder is histamine liberating for some people. The tea may not be.

Mauritio

lizasigareva

hey guys!
1. Can I take 500 mg l-ornithine with taurine 1000mg? Do they conflict?
2. Is it better take on the morning or in the evening?
3. How can I recognise that my liver starts better neutralize ammonia?
thanks!

P

Peatness

hey guys!
thanks!
Both l-Ornithine and Taurine lower blood sugar.

l-Ornithine is good at night because it promotes better sleep, better sleep is a good sign of ammonia clearance.

Common symptoms of elevated blood ammonia level
  • Confusion.
  • Fatigue/insomnia.
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Nausea with or without vomiting.
  • Pain in the back, sides or abdomen.
  • Weakness (loss of strength)
p.s l-Ornithine does raise nitric oxide

Ceylon Cinnamon is a safe way to reduce ammonia, so is zinc

CreakyJoints

hey guys!
thanks!

I am sorry I cannot answer these specific questions, but I remembered something which might help.

I think Ray Peat generally advises against taking amino acids in isolation; but from what I recall, Travis was experimenting at one point with arginine (and citrulline) to help clear ammonia much like this thread suggests. Sadly, I can't seem to search for Travis' old posts at the moment and I can't find the exact ones. I think he was discussing it in the context of tobacco. It is possible that molybdenum also helps, although I've not looked into that at all.

I don't think anyone mentioned it already, so: watermelon is quite a rich source of citrulline, which can be metabolised to arginine. Perhaps that might help if you are able to get some and have it regularly. The rind also contains more than the flesh when dried.

Ben.

If you go the ornothine route i would like you to read this first (basicly make sure to get arginine aswell):

Hello, the neurobiological impacts of hyperammonemia (elevated ammonia levels) are one of my main areas of research. Ammonia is the most potent neurotoxin naturally existent in the human body. Even slight elevations, over time, may lead to neurodegenerative disease including Alzheimers Disease. (Ali, 2020). If you are having brain fog and other problems relieved by Ornithine, it could be indicative of a high serum ammonia level and you should discuss this with your physician. The main condition which causes hyperammonemia is liver cirrhosis, but there are numerous other conditions which can be causative, and can result in cognitive impairments including encephalopathy)(Kalra, 2020--See Table #1).

Ornithine triggers the Urea Cycle and is an adjunctive treatment for patients with Urea Cycle Disorders; a rare inborn error of metabolism. I will also caution you that Ornithine can deplete Arginine over time, which can also cause ammonia elevations. I will attach two (2) of my favorite (generalized) Pubmed articles about non-cirrhotic hyperammonemia as well as the mechanism of action for how ammonia causes neurotoxicity.

Ali R, Nagalli S. Hyperammonemia. [Updated 2020 Aug 10]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan-. Available from: Hyperammonemia - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

Kalra, A., & Norvell, J. P. (2020). Cause for Confusion: Noncirrhotic Hyperammonemic Encephalopathy. Clinical liver disease, 15(6), 223–227. Error - Cookies Turned Off

Although I am not willing to make a recommendation to treat a potential disease, you might also look into L-Ornithine L-Aspartate (LOLA) in your research endeavors. See Butterworth, R. F., & McPhail, M. (2019). L-Ornithine L-Aspartate (LOLA) for Hepatic Encephalopathy in Cirrhosis: Results of Randomized Controlled Trials and Meta-Analyses. Drugs, 79(Suppl 1), 31–37. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40265-018-1024-1

Good luck,
Brooks

P

Peatness

l-Ornithine is good at night because it promotes better sleep, better sleep is a good sign of ammonia clearance.

• Confusion.
  • Fatigue/insomnia.
  • Loss of appetite.

I would also add thiamine to this list

lizasigareva

• Confusion.
  • Fatigue/insomnia.
  • Loss of appetite.

And others, thank you so much!
does ammonia in blood is representative? I think that I have high ammonia or acetone, but not sure how to verify it.
carbamide in blood is normal.
also I heard that yucca is good.

Motorneuron

@Mauritio Is itching after a meal beyond histamine hypotheses related to rising NO or liver malfunction?

Mauritio

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals