Ways To Be Happier And Healthier

jaguar43

Swandattur said:
http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_gaming_can_make_a_better_world.html
I thought this was a real good talk about simple things a person can do for themselves to become happier and healthier.

She promotes Positive psychology. Michael Polanyi denounces as a false sense of knowing by interfering with human potential, Ray Peat promotes Polanyi. She ignores fundamental facts that makes a person succeed more than the next. Gaming increases happiness and motivation momentarily as a result over coming obstacles, but the truth is, its just a game.

J

j.

jag2594 said:
Gaming increases happiness and motivation momentarily as a result over coming obstacles, but the truth is, its just a game.

so is life

OP
S

Swandattur

I don't think there's anything wrong with playing games to relax, as long as you don't overdo it. I do realize for some people the games may become their life, but that can happen with other things besides games. I thought her point about connecting with someone you care about makes sense, and also the point about not sitting in one place too long. I think those things make a difference for me. I know having a nice chat or whatever with a family member or friend can really change my feelings for the better. People are social creatures, after all.
I don't know anything else about her other than what she said on this podcast. So, it's possible I wouldn't agree with other things she says.

honeybee

Gaming? Well, personally, I beleive that if you find something you can do well consistently, I think that can improve mood tremendously. Find something you are good at-dancing, painting, writing, gaming-and you will feel good doing it.

Rolan

jag2594 said:
Gaming increases happiness and motivation momentarily as a result over coming obstacles, but the truth is, its just a game.

Although true, it depends on the game. Some games, like Anti-Chamber, manage to get a person to view challenges in different and creative ways, and also help with co-ordination and spacial awareness.

OP
S

Swandattur

In thinking about a game the lady mentioned on the podcast, I can think of a way it may actually be helpful to people. The farm game, (even though it's not my thing) may be good for people who for whatever reason are having trouble with connecting to other people socially. My sister liked playing it a lot for while after she had been through an awful time at her job, where she was treated very badly. Maybe this game was a way to connect with people without any possible stressful sort interaction.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I went ahead and installed a couple farm games and will keep my eye out for some others. If anyone has any game requests please let me know.

Farm and simulation games.

jaguar43

j. said:
jag2594 said:

so is life

The whole idea of "evolution" is that the past is preserved within the present, or that the present is built upon the accomplishments of the past. The idea that evolution has been "random," and that the world is simply self-regulating, might seem liberating to those who hate the idea that they might be intrinsically responsible for anything outside of themselves, but it is liberating only in the way that a vandal's manifesto might be, declaring the world to be their playground.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ge ... tion.shtml

Hey j are rich or something, that would explain your ideas

I never said gaming was bad, I said that I believe don't in positive psychology. I wouldn't be surprise if she is trying to make money. Thats the same stuff ceos and owners try to trick workers

OP
S

Swandattur

Maybe she believes in what she sells or maybe she doesn't. On Wikipedia it says she has a twin sister who is a psychologist. Maybe the sister is the positive psychologist. It was really just a coffee induced fit of impulsive friendliness that prompted me to put that podcast link on here. There were things that she said that rang true to me. I'll have to watch it again when I'm down in the dumps and see how it seems then.;/

I think it's nice there is a game section on this forum. Play is very healthy. :)

OP
S

Swandattur

It can be hard to know what people's motives are, for sure. For instance, on the other Ray Peat forum, I'm not sure if these two posters were being deliberately mean to me or just being bozos. Or was it just their idea of being clever? It's hard to judge.

jaguar43

Swandattur said:
Maybe she believes in what she sells or maybe she doesn't. On Wikipedia it says she has a twin sister who is a psychologist. Maybe the sister is the positive psychologist. It was really just a coffee induced fit of impulsive friendliness that prompted me to put that podcast link on here. There were things that she said that rang true to me. I'll have to watch it again when I'm down in the dumps and see how it seems then.;/

I think it's nice there is a game section on this forum. Play is very healthy. :)

I don't think ray means play literally as a video game. I think he means your attitude, communication like little kids and babies. I heard video games increase sympathetic response, but nothing to back it up. It gets easier to read people when you have done it for a long time. :roll:

OP
S

Swandattur

Oh well, no hope for me, since I'm 59 years old! No actually, I think I'm pretty good at reading people in person, but not on the Internet where their are no visual cues. It's a whole different ball game on the Internet. Maybe I'm not used to all that many different types of people, either. I'm really an introvert. So, I guess maybe after all I haven't had so much experience. Hmm...
Something to think about.
I don't think he means video games, either, but still, it is a form of play. So, it might be a good thing in moderation.

Collden

I think its good to counteract the stereotypical view of gamers as losers, when in fact one can point to thousands of public figures who are avid gamers yet very successful in life as well.

Gaming can be detrimental when approached in the same way as slot machines - ie games like Diablo 2 or WOW that encourages hours upon hours of repetitive grinding for random dopamine hits that does not require much if any mental effort. More mentally challenging games that repeatedly present you with new challenges and requires adaptability and continuous learning is a whole different beast.