Watery eyes and black squiggles

iLoveSugar

Every day I am getting very watery eyes, and black floating lines in my vision, that won't go away for nothing. No amount of sugar or salt seems to help.

4peatssake

Ben said:
Why not see an eye doctor? It sounds like more of an eye issue than health issue.
I don't know about black squiggles but I know first hand that "eye issues" can be symptomatic of a very serious health problem.

Ben

Allergies, cataracts, eye infection, glaucoma, etc. Could be anything, none of us can figure it out.

Peata

Black squiggly lines sound like "floaters". They are usually considered normal, but did you happen to get them suddenly? Do you ever see flashing lights? If so, can be sign of retinal detachment and should checked out by eye doc asap.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Peata said:
Black squiggly lines sound like "floaters". They are usually considered normal, but did you happen to get them suddenly? Do you ever see flashing lights? If so, can be sign of retinal detachment and should checked out by eye doc asap.
The floaters are becoming more and more.

Peata

Get an eye exam as soon as you can, to be on safe side.

jessica.k

Do you eat eggs? Eggs give me terrible watery eyes (actually, only my left eye waters, so I'm not sure what that means:). Also, high histamine foods, like red wine, chocolate, tuna, bananas, etc. could be part of the problem.

juanitacarlos

I used to get the black squigglies all the time! I haven't had them for years now I think about it (maybe since taking thyroid meds).
This is from Dr Gordon Skinner who treated hypothyroid patients:

Hallucinations – of a certain sort particularly in the peripheral vision – are virtually pathognomonic of hypothyroidism and represent perhaps the most poorly-recognised feature of the disease occurring in my experience in approximately 75% of patients and rarely in non-hypothyroidal patients if their history is taken in detail. [...]

There can be ‘black floaters’ or ‘silvery wiggly things’ in front or at the side of the eyes but in more severe cases the patient is convinced that something is moving at the side of their vision or that somebody has passed by their side. Sometimes it’s all a bit sinister, the patient believes it might be Granny who has moved on [...]

It is common for patients to imagine insects or other creatures most usually cats, spiders, beetles, flies or even snakes running around the floor which presumably relates to ocular mucopolysaccharide opacities which move across the floor if the eye fixes on that focal plane but these can be very real to the patient and can be quite frightening. One of my patients was a gardener who believed robins were flying around and eating his newly-planted seeds; interestingly visual hallucinations are one of the first feature to disappear on thyroid replacement. [...]

Auditory disturbance is less common. Some patients are notably deaf and yet deplore loud or even moderate noise for example the television at normal volume. Tinnitus is often troublesome and a few patients report auditory hallucination of voices or (quite commonly) the telephone ringing or mishear what was actually said to them. Other patients lose their sense of smell and/or taste and like other senses describe hallucinatory phenomena where water tastes sweet or food tastes metallic; these features disappear following thyroid replacement.

But, it could be a sign of something else, even more serious. So maybe it is worth going to a doctor?