Water

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
What's Ray Peats thoughts on water? I know its something like plain water causes a serotonin release or something to that effect.

Since I have been living in Peatland, I havent been drinking any water. I drink a ton of OJ, and water from fruit, oh, and coca cola. :mrgreen: So, do I need to have plain water every day? Does clean water need to be drank for certain health benefits like flushing out the kidneys and such?

nwo2012

Charlie said:
What's Ray Peats thoughts on water? I know its something like plain water causes a serotonin release or something to that effect.

Since I have been living in Peatland, I havent been drinking any water. I drink a ton of OJ, and water from fruit, oh, and coca cola. :mrgreen: So, do I need to have plain water every day? Does clean water need to be drank for certain health benefits like flushing out the kidneys and such?

Well he belives in drinking when you are thirsty and how can you be with all the milk and OJ?
However he does say a little baking soda occasionally in water is good for CO2, blood pressure etc.
Are you exercising? Water with sugar+salt for sipping on works well. And the rest....................

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am never thirsty because of all the OJ and fruits I eat.

And I stop exercising because it was crashing my temps. So figure I will take a few months off and try to get better first. Worry about working out later.

nwo2012

Charlie said:
I am never thirsty because of all the OJ and fruits I eat.

And I stop exercising because it was crashing my temps. So figure I will take a few months off and try to get better first. Worry about working out later.

All good. You could try shorter more intense workouts though but I understand waiting.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeh I thought of that. Might give it a couple weeks and then do some quick 15 min sessions and see what happens.

J

j.

Ray Peat said:
When people force themselves to drink a certain amount of water every day, even when they don't feel thirsty, they are activating complex adaptive processes unnecessarily. Thirst is the best guide to the amount of fluid needed.

When extra water consumption is combined with a low salt diet--as physicians have so often recommended--a healthy person can adapt easily, but for a hypothyroid person it can have disastrous effects.

Link

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
That works for me, thanks J.

J, you almost had that quote tag right. You only missed the quotations "" wrapped around the name. So it should look like this:

Code:
[quote="Ray Peat"]random Ray Peat quote here[/quote]

peatarian

You really don't need extra water. Just don't say no when offered in a desert right before dying from thirst.
As for exercise: Ray Peat recommended knee bents with dumb-bells to me. You do it for a few minutes, then stop. Then repeat several times during the day. Just don't do too much too soon or you'll produce lactic acid.
I think you are right about 'healing first'.

gretchen

peatarian said:
You really don't need extra water. Just don't say no when offered in a desert right before dying from thirst.
As for exercise: Ray Peat recommended knee bents with dumb-bells to me. You do it for a few minutes, then stop. Then repeat several times during the day. Just don't do too much too soon or you'll produce lactic acid.
I think you are right about 'healing first'.

I don't drink water anymore either. Great advice on the workout.

BingDing

Shoot, man, water is my biggest out point on the Peat plan. I drink 1 1/2+ gallons per day. I tried to cut back when I first learned it might not be good, but I'm always thirsty and always have some type of drink with me (non-alcoholic). I've been this way my whole life, and never had any blood work that indicated diabetes. I was thinking recently the rennin-angiotensin-aldosterone cycle might be in play but I can't figure any of this stuff out for myself. It's very frustrating.

My blood pressure has also gotten pretty high the last few months, 155/90 this morning and 170/98 this evening. It was pretty much normal before that. I upped my salt to 2-3 tsps per day.

Anyone have any ideas? Are you home, Peatarian?

cliff

tried drinking soda/juice/milk instead of water?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
When I get really thirsty it usually means I need some sugar. Orange juice usually quenches it.

BingDing

The water is on top of 2 1/2 quarts of milk and 1 1/2 quarts of OJ. :shock: Usually a Mexicoke, too. Sugar in every cup of coffee, chocolate syrup in milk most days.

Other than the water I'm pretty strictly Peat. I love this diet.