Water Restriction / How Much Liquids Do You Get?

Collden

Feel I'm addicted to water. Picked up the habit in my early teens of always having a glass of water to sip on and its a tough habit to break. With milk, juice, coffee put together I probably get close to 5l of water from beverages alone which seems too much. On the other hand, concerned about kidney stones if I should try to cut down.

Anyone experience benefits from cutting down on water intake? I've heard that intermittent water restriction can be beneficial by promoting lymphatic drainage and cellular rejuvenation, like staying slightly thirsty during the day and rehydrating at night.

Last edited:

TheSir

I always keep a glass of water with me when I'm on the computer (which is most of the time), and I've noticed that I'm practically never thirsty. Only when i'm on a vacation or doing something else will my pee turn a bit more yellow, otherwise it's clear. Not sure if there has been much of an effect either way.

LLight

More about dry fasting than water restriction:

"I have cured my lower back pain. It wasn’t a serious pain, but I would always notice it when I sat down and stood up. My body has completely healed it.

All my skin tags have disappeared and I no longer get any tongue ulcers (which I used to get quite a few of) because of dry fasting.

I also cured cystitis. If I ate certain foods I would always get inflamed, it negatively affected my quality of life. Even foods that I loved I had to give up because they would cause me such a bad reaction.

But I went out for dinner today and I’m able to eat those foods again. I no longer have a bad reaction to them and it feels amazing."

"The first time I realized that all this "weird talk about autophagy" was real was when I did a 6 day dry fast. It completely fixed a massive amount of digestive issues that I had been having for the past year. I honestly don't know if you need to do something insane like what I did but if you haven't done non stop OMAD then it can't hurt right?"

"Many people don't subscribe to the 'hard dry fast' vs 'soft dry fast' thing. I'm fasting for healing, and let me tell you, healing I am, and majorly! I brush my teeth, wash dishes, wash my hands and... are you ready for this? Take Epsom salt (for additional detox and magnesium) baths, long beautiful hot baths, while dry fasting.I don't have spare weight to lose, but I do lose while dry fasting (my longest was 36 hours, going for 40 now), then make sure to gain it back, which is not that easy. However, the biggest benefit is in old injuries healing, as well as my arthritis, and my fibro is almost non-existent - I have SLE with a bunch of comorbidities, and all of them are showing significant improvements. But, what I notice the most right now is that I can no longer predict the weather through my joints - I used to give the best meteorologist run for their money and never failed. If my shoulder says it will rain, it will rain, you can bet your money on it. If my fingers say the weather will change, it will change. And then there are my arches... Well, were. None of this is true anymore, 5 weeks into daily 16hr dry fasting, 4 24 hours, one 36-hour, and now a few hours into a 40-hour attempt. I can no longer predict the weather, at all (and still haven't developed a habit of checking weather prognosis, leading to a few unfortunate incidents of being soaked and such). And all that with 'soft dry fasting'... majorly soft :)

But, it's your fast so I say follow your bliss - if it makes it feel more real to hard dry fast, go for it!"

"A bit of backstory:I am obese - 300+ pounds. I also have Selective IgA deficiency which leaves me prone to infections in the mucous membranes of my body(sinuses, eyes, GI tract). Before it started fasting I had a C-Reactive Protein (CRP) level of 88. (Healthy levels are under 7). My doc wasn’t sure why but chalked it up to a combo if my weight & an infection yet to be found.

After 2 months of water fasting (including a 21 day), my CRP levels dropped to 77.

From August -October, I began experimenting with dry fasting. I most recently completed a 102 hour dry fast.

Just this week I got my newest lab results back. My CRP levels are down to 22!! This is amazing! I fully attribute it to dry fasting because, my CRP levels have remained high on previous diet attempts when I have been at a lower weight than I am now. As in they’ve never budged from the 80s before even with weight loss of over 150 pounds. Yet, in 3 months dry fasting has brought it down by a whopping 50 points!!

TLDR: I fully believe dry fasting had dropped my CRP levels drastically. :)"

"I had an old shoulder injury that wouldnt go away.. had it for about 6 months.. it would lay dormant until i started working out again.. over and over.. I did a 3 day dry fast.. and it was healed 70%.. i was like .. i be damned.. did another dry fast .. and i havent felt injury wise since .. So i guess it worked on my shoulder."

"The experience For the first three days it was mostly focusing on mindfulness and it gave me a sense of calming effect. Suddenly I wasn't so hung up I was doing something extream, just a fast with good mental space. On the morning of the forth day I had a high similar to psychedelics, I wasn't seeing anything but emotional I was completely free. I felt a deep sense of connection, a pure explosive expression was blossoming. I haven't felt that peaceful since my last mushroom trip and even though I was feeling symptoms, I surrendered to it, I let the experience take me where it wants to take me and it was beautiful and memorable. Around the 110 hour mark I knew it was fine to end it.

[...]

Back to baseline After eating relatively healthy, no processed stuff or sugar snacks, my weight settled at 187. A total of 6 pounds that stayed off for now. I'm still eating mostly salads and meats and ignoring sweets.

Other benefits

I noticed that my cravings are gone and my stomach isn't as bloated anymore. I've been on NoFap since I started and working feels amazing. I haven't lost any strength. I feel I can lift more but I'm sticking to a slow build up. My confidence is through the roof and I'm planning to do another dry fast again."

"I had facial psoriasis and acne and would do back to back 48 dry fasts with 72’s thrown In alongside carnivore refeeds, I know longer have any skin issues."

"It took me around two weeks for the fatigue symptoms to go away.

The benefits I am seeing are:

1/ increased sleep quality and energy. That is, I wake up before the alarm clock now and I don't wake up in the middle of the night anymore. I don't go to bed earlier either. And I have enough energy to punch through my day.

2/ decreased hunger. Compared to water intermittent fasting, I almost never feel hunger during my fasting window anymore. It's like dry IF is easier (for me) than water IF now.

3/ even better body composition, despite adding more carbs (rice, legumes more fruits, etc) to my diet. I wasn't overweight to begin with, and was already quite active before getting into IF (20+ years of martial arts). Despite that, water IF improved my body composition; let's say that I'd carry a six pack all year round thanks to it. Dry IF improved that even further. I have more definition everywhere now all the time, while eating carbs, fat and proteins all at once.

And all the numerous benefits of water IF still apply. Really, so far, I see zero downside to dry IF besides the fact that it was super hard (for me) to get into."

"I had pretty severe hormonal acne and weirdly out of sync periods (like they would either come 1.5 months apart or they would come 1.5 weeks apart) up until a year and a half ago, shortly after doing two 24 hour dry fast in the Vegas summer. whatever hormonal issues I was having the dry fasting definitely cured it."

"my hemorrhoids were gone and never returned after a 5 day soft dry fast"

"Heres my story.

I developed a pain i estimated around my pancreas and waited a couple weeks before going to ER and they ran an ultra sound. Didnt see anything, all other tests came back normal. I told them I was convinced it was pancreatic cancer. They said, usually peoples skin turns yellow with that. So being non-yellow but still in pain, went home disappointed.

Still in pain, I came across dry fasting and how animals fast when they are injured.

I dry fasted for two days.

On the third day I took a poo. It was a black log. Not like old blood cells but like witch hat black but still in good looking poo form.

Pain disappeared.

Thats my dry fast story. Havent done it since but I think I will try it again soon to see what other benefits I can get."

"I just completed a 7 soft dry fast and I lost about 32 pounds. I am a woman. My toe was broken a while back and I couldn't sustain pressure on it for long. I can complete pirouettes and arabesques without wanting to shoot my self. My scarring from acne also healed. I used melano cc and snail mucin so that my have helped. My textured skin and hyperpigmentation cleared as well. Fountain of youth? For me, yes."

"I usually fast for 48 hours at a time. The results im seeing are 1~ so much easier physically and mentally than water fasting, feels more natural to just let my body take care of the fat to make energy and water. 2~ I feel like a completely different person, like all my cells were reborn, my thinking is sharp, my sprints are quicker, My mood has improved by the week it seems. I heal much quicker now. Teeming with energy! 3~ Ive been chubby my whole life (like 35 pounds over weight) and pretty much fixed that in one month. My tastes have also changed. I use to go for heavy carbs and sugar but those choices don’t sound good to me anymore. 4~ Ive learned to just think for myself and just try what I think makes sense, no more scrolling for answers endlessly. Im honestly shocked at my life in the last month alone. I feel like Ive found the holy grail for what works for me"

Also, some hypothetical thoughts about dry fasting/water restriction: Water Structure, Osmolytes And Cancer

rei

When i had something resembling metabolic syndrome i would drink more, i even had a bottle of carbonated water besides the bed to sip on when i woke up and was thirsty during the night. After fixing that i don't even think about water when going to sleep unless i'm drunk. Otherwise there simply is no need. Maybe the reason to waking up was thirst? Because i don't wake up nearly as much either.

OP
C

Collden

"A normal 70kg person needs 1.5 litres of water a day, which includes all of the water hidden in food, tea, coffee, fruit juice, squash, wine, beer etc. We generally have approximately 0.5 litres of water hidden in our food and so most people only need 1 litre of water a day which includes that found in beverages (see above).

If you go to the gym, or play sport, you may need to add another amount to this but it is rarely more than 0.2 to 0.5 litres.

Therefore people who eat and drink normally and then have another 2 or 3 litres of water on top of this are massively over-drinking. It is not uncommon for some people to have 4 to 5 litres per day and not surprisingly, they sweat excessively."

Sweating - are you drinking too much water? - Absolute Aesthetics

Didn't realise average fluid requirements are actually that low. I've probably been massively overhydrating for most of my life. I sweat like crazy too.

Could excessive hydration be the reason that soft drink consumption is so tightly linked with poor health?

"A normal 70kg person needs 1.5 litres of water a day, which includes all of the water hidden in food, tea, coffee, fruit juice, squash, wine, beer etc. We generally have approximately 0.5 litres of water hidden in our food and so most people only need 1 litre of water a day which includes that found in beverages (see above).

If you go to the gym, or play sport, you may need to add another amount to this but it is rarely more than 0.2 to 0.5 litres.

Therefore people who eat and drink normally and then have another 2 or 3 litres of water on top of this are massively over-drinking. It is not uncommon for some people to have 4 to 5 litres per day and not surprisingly, they sweat excessively."

Sweating - are you drinking too much water? - Absolute Aesthetics

Didn't realise average fluid requirements are actually that low. I've probably been massively overhydrating for most of my life. I sweat like crazy too.

Could excessive hydration be the reason that soft drink consumption is so tightly linked with poor health?
Please keep this thread updated if you are going to try liquid restriction, particularly interested if it achieves (for you) relief of ailments, if you have any :):

OP
C

Collden

Please keep this thread updated if you are going to try liquid restriction, particularly interested if it achieves (for you) relief of ailments, if you have any :):
Yes, I'm trying since yesterday to just drink liquids with meals and nothing in between, got a bad dry mouth at the moment but read it can up to 10 days to get used to not constantly sipping water. Still passing a lot of clear urine and not overly thirsty at meals though.

Yes, I'm trying since yesterday to just drink liquids with meals and nothing in between, got a bad dry mouth at the moment but read it can up to 10 days to get used to not constantly sipping water. Still passing a lot of clear urine and not overly thirsty at meals though.
That's good to hear, stay safe Bro :):

Summer

I don’t know about you guys, but when I inadvertently go without water for long periods, I get a headache and grogginess.

Some random things that I feel are important when it comes to fluids is to not drink too much at once. Take in small amounts every 15 minutes or so. Also if you’re going to drink something while eating fatty foods, make sure the beverage is warm.

ThinPicking

I don’t know about you guys, but when I inadvertently go without water for long periods, I get a headache and grogginess.

Some random things that I feel are important when it comes to fluids is to not drink too much at once. Take in small amounts every 15 minutes or so. Also if you’re going to drink something while eating fatty foods, make sure the beverage is warm.
I'm similar. I think body fluid balance/dynamics are underrated subjects here.

What's a 'small amount' for you?

Summer

I'm similar. I think body fluid balance/dynamics are underrated subjects here.

What's a 'small amount' for you?

Yes definitely. I would say somewhere around a mouthful if I’m sedentary for most of the day.

OP
C

Collden

Couple of people who have tried it say its a rough adjustment if you're used to sipping on drinks all day long, but you quickly adapt well to not drinking for long periods.

OP
C

Collden

Day 3 of just drinking fluids with meals, although I drink freely at meal times it still feels I've cut down a ton on total water consumption, still dry mouth and some eye dryness as well today. Though whenever I try a swig of water it doesn't taste very appealing so I guess I still don't have "true" thirst. Pulse and warmth have increased noticeably and I sweat much less.

OP
C

Collden

Day 7 - dry eyes lasted for just one day and has not returned. Mouth dryness has gotten less in the past few days and its easier to go long periods without drinking, water still doesn't taste particularly good whenever I have a swig between meals and I still pee regularly, so I shouldn't be too dehydrated.

However today I got hit with major fatigue and weakness in the afternoon doing some mild physical work, felt like an episode of hypoglycemia but lasted much longer, so I dunno, will keep this drinking discipline going a while longer, but is it possible that just drinking ad libitum with meals (3x day) is not enough to stay adequately hydrated? I still sweat a lot sometimes so I guess its possible I got the causality backwards and I actually need to drink a lot because I sweat so profusely.

Try some salt with sugar with your water, particularly now you are sweating, and warm the water, not cold, take care.

Carrum

I used to drink a lot of water every day even in mid winter while working on construction sites in England.
I started drinking about 3 ltrs of oj per day several years ago when I lived in Spain. I pretty much stopped drinking water during the winter months because I didn't want any and would only have a little water in the summer. It's the same since I moved to Australia.
I actually take in less fluids now than I did when I was in England which is so much colder than Spain and Australia but I don't get so easily dehydrated now.

Back
Top Bottom