Water Filters: Dishonest About Expiration Date?

DMF

I attached a well known commercial water filter to my kitchen sink and just only 2 weeks into it's use the green light has already gone to red - indicating I need to change to a new filter even though I live alone and HARDLY EVER use that sink/filter to drink from ! Called "customer service" and got some baloney sounding answers.
I'll continue to drink from it though not sure for how much longer.

warrenbuffet

Is it the PUR one? I have the same situation but I use a lot of water so sometimes it lasts only a week. I have tried a couple different filter systems and this one seems to give me the best feeling water, so it's worth it to me.

Dan W

I think all of the indicator light "sensors" are based on how much water it thinks has passed through, rather than actually monitoring anything about the filtration medium. So I'd imagine your estimate of how much water you've used (compared to the filter's rating) is superior to a possibly-faulty indicator light.

Waynish

Too much of a pain to get good water without a whole house filtration system or something as expensive... Either live in a place like Holland with great water, or get it delivered I'd say.

OP
D

DMF

Yeh it's PUR.
Perhaps the "old-fashioned" Britta system where you hand pour water through the filter.
I've always wondered if this is better in that you could pour the same batch through a 2nd time for a "double-filtering" - would this make any difference?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals