Warning To People Taking Lysine

Or it was dirty lysine and it dripped into your lungs...

Evgenius

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing.
I think you just overdid it, but that can happen with every supplement.

OP
Vinero

Vinero

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing.
I think you just overdid it, but that can happen with every supplement.
Yes I think I just overdid it. I don't think taking lower doses (1 gram or something) of lysine a few times a week will have negative consequences.

Obi-wan

Nathan talked about not being able to drive his car when he took Lysine. I guess now you have to pay for that info...the most I took was a 1 gram capsule and like I said I got a very stuffy nose.

What is RPF? (Ray Peat Forum)

Kyle M

I throw a couple of grams of lysine, taurine, and a bit more of glycine in with other stuff when drinking a smoothie. I would never have thought of dumping in 6 grams, the taste alone guides you away from this.

Kunder

I throw a couple of grams of lysine, taurine, and a bit more of glycine in with other stuff when drinking a smoothie. I would never have thought of dumping in 6 grams, the taste alone guides you away from this.

Kyle wouldn’t taking it alone increase the absorbtion rate of the aminos, vs taking it with food?

Pulstar

It was this Nathan's post about lysine's strong anti-depressive property which made me try it. I can confirm that it has very profound mood lifting effect. I would say within 10-20 minutes you could feel it's strong anti-serotonin action - no more aggression, no more panicky mood. But I would not relay exclusively on lysine on a long run. Instead, I would try to use mixture of substances to lower serotonin - cypro, ginger, aspirin, thyroid, carrots and occasional lysine etc.

Now, I'm not an expert with doses, but I think 6 grams is an excess. What did you want to achieve with that amount of lysine?

Last edited:

Kyle M

Kyle wouldn’t taking it alone increase the absorbtion rate of the aminos, vs taking it with food?

I think so, for some AAs at least (competitive ones). But absorption is decent in both states. I try never to take protein without a carbohydrate any way, and we all know lysine stimulates insulin secretion fairly potently for an AA. Why subject yourself to the hypoglycemic risk?

stevrd

I'm surprised anybody actually notices any difference from taking isolated amino acids. There's obviously plenty of research in support of them, especially BCAAs blocking serotonin, but these are often in controlled environments, short lived and not meant to be long term. I think there's a reason why Ray doesn't recommend isolated amino acids. The manufacturing processes alone are not always trustworthy. I tried supplementing with BCAAs, L-phenylalanine, and Tyrosine. I noticed from BCAAs that my perceived exertion and recovery from workouts was better, probably because it is tryptophan release from muscle breakdown, and subsequently an increase in serotonin that induces the feeling of fatigue. I don't discount this, but I also ended up realizing that there are other, more effective ways to achieve the same end, namely a drink with lots of sugar while I workout (preventing the spike in cortisol, and thus preventing muscle tissue breakdown- to a lesser degree, less tryptophan and serotonin).

Gelatin is IMO the best of all, and isolated amino acids are in the end probably nothing more than an experiment, not something you can really take day in, day out and notice huge improvements from it. Not discounting anybody's experience, but I always notice that the supplements Ray recommends (pregnenolone, progesterone, thyroid, aspirin, niacinamide, cascara) usually are the best things, that I actually feel working. And playing around with other things is fun, but I tend to always come back to the ones ray recommends.

Going down the path of nutritionism isn't the best route, and eventually you find that eating real food works best for getting nutrients, along with some helpful hormones.

OP
Vinero

Vinero

It was this Nathan's post about lysine's strong anti-depressive property which made me try it. I can confirm that it has very profound mood lifting effect. I would say within 10-20 minutes you could feel it's strong anti-serotonin action - no more aggression, no more panicky mood. But I would not relay exclusively on a lysine on a long run. Instead I would try to use mixture of substances to lower serotonin - cypro, ginger, aspirin, thyroid, carrots and occasional lysine etc.

Now, I'm not an expert with doses, but I think 6 grams is an excess. What did you want to achieve with that amount of lysine?
6 grams a day was what the studies on lysine used as a dose to significantly lower nitric oxide, so I followed that dosage.

OP
Vinero

Vinero

I'm surprised anybody actually notices any difference from taking isolated amino acids. There's obviously plenty of research in support of them, especially BCAAs blocking serotonin, but these are often in controlled environments, short lived and not meant to be long term. I think there's a reason why Ray doesn't recommend isolated amino acids. The manufacturing processes alone are not always trustworthy. I tried supplementing with BCAAs, L-phenylalanine, and Tyrosine. I noticed from BCAAs that my perceived exertion and recovery from workouts was better, probably because it is tryptophan release from muscle breakdown, and subsequently an increase in serotonin that induces the feeling of fatigue. I don't discount this, but I also ended up realizing that there are other, more effective ways to achieve the same end, namely a drink with lots of sugar while I workout (preventing the spike in cortisol, and thus preventing muscle tissue breakdown- to a lesser degree, less tryptophan and serotonin).
I have had mixed results with BCAAs. Sometimes I get a great anti-serotonin effect and mood-lift. While at other times it induces a feeling of apathy or depression. Probably because dopamine gets lowered too. I only use BCAA nowadays when I suspect I have high serotonin and want to quickly lower serotonin.

stevrd

I have had mixed results with BCAAs. Sometimes I get a great anti-serotonin effect and mood-lift. While at other times it induces a feeling of apathy or depression. Probably because dopamine gets lowered too. I only use BCAA when I suspect I have high serotonin and want to quickly lower serotonin.

Good points. I had the same response actually. I tried to combat that by taking L-phenylalanine (to raise dopamine), but didn't notice anything from it, still had the feeling of low dopamine. Maybe it would be different if I tried tyrosine, but IDK. This is one reason why I prefer mostly relying on gelatin, as one doesn't need to worry about all the counteractions, etc, and it pretty reasonably opposes serotonin without harmful effects.

Birdie

For a while, I was taking 1 to 2 g a day of lysine. At the same time, began to experience angina.
Have to say this went on for many months if not years... I didn't make the connection.
When I finally stopped the lysine, the angina stopped.
I'd known about arginine being used in heart conditions, so one day thought to try quitting the lysine.
Lysine was another supplement I'd used before finding RP.

Mossy

For me, being one who is highly sensitive to most supplements, small doses of isolated amino acids are one of the few things I can rely on. Growing up, I never heard of them associated with health issues, just as being used by body builders.

Lysine was one of the first successful supplements I had taken after many many tries of various others. It definitely curbs anxiety, OCD, and combats what I understand to be serotonin symptoms, as defined by many on this forum. But, it does make me groggy and hung over. So, I only use it very occasionally and in very small doses.

I feel taurine effects me similarly without the major hang-over effect, but still not perfect. But, when I need to sleep, this is my go-to amino acid before lysine--because of the grogginess of lysine. Though, I think lysine may even be better for all around peace and calm.

Theanine is great for an anti-histamine, but still not perfect, leaving me with grogginess and too much fatigue. But, it's better than the histamine effect.

BCAAs can definitely make me flat, and even depressed at times. I've tried phenylalanine as well, but maybe I need to up the does, because it didn't counter the effect.

Ultimately, I see lysine, and isolated amino acids in general, as occasional items to supplement, versus a continual use.

achar45

Lysine taken long term also causes zinc deficiency...look it up...that's why many Lysine supplements contain zinc.

Your symptoms are classic zinc deficiency symptoms: anorexia, suppressed immune system.

How's your mood? Zinc deficiency/copper excess will make you wacky and wired (dopamine converting to epi/norepinephrine more)

ddjd

6 grams is a ridiculous amount. Why did you take it to such an extreme. I think 500mg is an ok daily amount but still I would pulse it, on and off

Obi-wan

Just stopped taking inosine because it was definitely giving me a stuffy nose like lysine. I was taking 1.5grams

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals