Want to donate blood to lower my Ferritin, is it safe with lower platelets?

Prosper127

Here are my recent numbers

FERRITIN 380 18 - 543 ug/L

HEMOGLOBIN 152 129 - 165g/L

PLATELETS 109 155 - 372 x 10E9/L

Last edited:

yerrag

Too little information to work on.

Where's the rest of your CBC?

What is your serum iron? TIBC? So we can get an idea of your transferrin saturation?

There are many causes to platelets being that low, and you have to find out the root cause:

Still, that link isn't the be-all to it. It doesn't include a fungal parasitic as a possible cause.

OP
P

Prosper127

Too little information to work on.

Where's the rest of your CBC?

What is your serum iron? TIBC? So we can get an idea of your transferrin saturation?

There are many causes to platelets being that low, and you have to find out the root cause:

Still, that link isn't the be-all to it. It doesn't include a fungal parasitic as a possible cause.
1640644707520.png

yerrag

Your iron levels look good. They're within optimal range. But your platelets being low, I wouldn't advise blood donation. You need to determine why your platelets are that low. Blood donation will drive them lower and it could tip you towards further imbalance. Have you seen a doctor for opinion?

Ferritin being high won't harm. It is high because the body is keeping iron away from microbes that would use it to multiply. But that is just one reason. You need to find out the cause so that you can eliminate that cause. Blood donation would not fix that cause.

OP
P

Prosper127

Your iron levels look good. They're within optimal range. But your platelets being low, I wouldn't advise blood donation. You need to determine why your platelets are that low. Blood donation will drive them lower and it could tip you towards further imbalance. Have you seen a doctor for opinion?

Ferritin being high won't harm. It is high because the body is keeping iron away from microbes that would use it to multiply. But that is just one reason. You need to find out the cause so that you can eliminate that cause. Blood donation would not fix that cause.
Thanks for your insight yerrag. I recently read the book "dumping iron" where the author and many others believe that Ferritin should be 80 to 100 max.

yerrag

Thanks for your insight yerrag. I recently read the book "dumping iron" where the author and many others believe that Ferritin should be 80 to 100 max.

Your transferrin saturation at 39% though, is near the high range of 40% (based on Chris Masterjohn). And your serum iron is slightly above range where max is 18.

But your platelet count being so low and getting it lower by blood donation is, in my opinion, a bigger risk.

A recent CBC may offer some leads. Do you have one?

OP
P

Prosper127

Your transferrin saturation at 39% though, is near the high range of 40% (based on Chris Masterjohn). And your serum iron is slightly above range where max is 18.

But your platelet count being so low and getting it lower by blood donation is, in my opinion, a bigger risk.

A recent CBC may offer some leads. Do you have one?
Those numbers are 2 weeks old.

yerrag

That's fine. Recent enough.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals