Want To Buy A Pressure Cooker. What Should I Look Into?

milk

I'm looking at the cheaper options, as that's what I can afford... I'm afraid I'll end up buying something made of or coated with some "unpeaty" material.

Anyone here knowledgeable about pressure cookers?

OP
M

milk

(Ok, I'm going through the threads in the subforum and trying to figure it out.)

paymanz

Idk if there is any pressure cooker made of those old materials without nickel, as peat recommends , the types that is mostly iron and you can test it with a magnet, if it sticks to magnet strongly then its good.but i dont think there is any pressure cooker like that.

Just avoid acidic food in them!

Also make sure it has a steamer unit, steam cooking potatoes with them is really great.

they are mostly stainless steel. If you run some acidic water through them a few times, they cycle and a lot of the nickel and chromium will empty out.

I love my pressure cooker and use it all the time.

Energizer

I use an Instant Pot, but I have no loyalty to the brand, they're just fairly cheap and get the job done. Got mine for about 100 bux.

aguilaroja

they are mostly stainless steel. If you run some acidic water through them a few times, they cycle and a lot of the nickel and chromium will empty out.

I love my pressure cooker and use it all the time.
+1
Definitely choose stainless steel rather than aluminum pressure cookers. They are safer and cook better. Most of the modern stainless steel brands perform competently. As @paymanz noted, a steamer insert is useful. Separately purchased steamers are possible if the set does not come with one.

Jc42

I have had regular pressure cookers in the past, but since having an instant pot, I don't think I'll ever go back. Electric pressure cookers are so much easier and convenient than stove top pressure cookers. Most electric pressure cookers are nonstick aluminum, but instant pot is stainless steel. Amazon has good prices, lots of models to choose from. In addition to being a convenient pressure cooker, electric pressure cookers can also be used as rice cooker, crock pot, yogurt maker, etc.

paymanz

What about a copper pressure cooker?! Of course coated with tin.

What ray thinks about tin? Tin apparently is very safe!

OP
M

milk

What's up guys.

So I looked around for a stainless steel pressure cooker. I went to a place that only sells stainless steel wares, and asked for the best pressure cooker. The guy showed me a bunch of them, and I took out my magnets. Turns out the pans are made of the bad kind of stainless steel on the sides (weak magnet adhesion), and only the bottom is made of the good kind (strong magnet adhesion).

Peat says the bad kind of stainless steel is quite carcinogenic.

Well, I still want to get a pressure cooker. Is there some second best material for pans? Something, you know, not too carcinogenic.