Walnuts Improve N-6/n-3 Ratio

jet9

I came across following study:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsomega.0c03784#

Increased dietary, blood, and tissue n-6/n-3 fatty acid ratios are associated with obesity and metabolic syndrome. Due to Westernized dietary patterns, the increasing n-6/n-3 ratio is of growing concern worldwide, and dietary strategies aimed at its lowering are of public health importance. Walnuts are rich in dietary fats, and their consumption promotes cardiometabolic health. This study aimed to examine the effect of 6-week walnut consumption on tissue-specific n-6/n-3 ratio and fatty acid metabolic conversion in fructose-fed rats with a cluster of metabolic disorders. Male Wistar rats were fed a standard diet with or without 10% fructose in drinking water for 9 weeks. Diets of half of the animals were then supplemented with walnuts (2.4 g/day) for 6 weeks, upon which fatty acid profiles were determined in plasma, liver, adipose tissue, and kidney total lipids. Results showed that walnuts induced significant decreases in the n-6/n-3 content of total lipid pool in plasma and examined tissues, irrespective of metabolic burden. Walnut intervention decreased plasma and liver palmitoleic/palmitic, arachidonic/linoleic, and docosahexaenoic/α-linolenic acid ratios. It also modulated individual fatty acid levels by reducing arachidonic and palmitic acid and increasing α-linolenic, eicosapentaenoic, and docosapentaenoic acid in plasma and most tissues. Our study demonstrated that 6-week consumption of walnuts favorably modulated n-6/n-3 plasma and tissue ratio in male Wistar rats regardless of high-fructose feeding, underscoring the promising potential of walnuts in both prevention and treatment of the metabolic syndrome.
Which is in contradiction to claims that walnuts are one of the worst foods for people trying to avoid omega 6 and pufa, or am i missing something?

why are you here if you don't know what is wrong with PUFA fats? Have you read Dr. Peat's work?

Amazoniac

I skimmed through it, but couldn't find specified what they're comparing and the adsolute values.

"Thirty-six male Wistar rats, obtained from the vivarium of the Institute ☢f Nuclear Sciences “Vinča”, Serbia, were used in this study. Animals were housed in groups of three per cage at controlled room temperature (22±1°C) and humidity, under a 12 h light/dark cycle and free access to water and standard rat chow (Veterinarski Zavod, Subotica, Serbia) (Table S3) to allow acclimatization."​

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Which is in contradiction to claims that walnuts are one of the worst foods for people trying to avoid omega 6 and pufa, or am i missing something?

Yeah. Both Omega 6 and Omega 3 are Poly Unsaturated Fats. So, you can't really eat PUFA to avoid PUFA.

J

jb116

Always had digestive distress when I would eat walnuts in the past.

dukesbobby777

Walnut slice, not so nice.

N3 has acute effects in the body, lowering immune response and therefore inflammation. Long term, the N3 fats are just as bad as the N6 fats (if not worse, due to them being more unstable), adding to long term toxic PUFA load in the tissues, and lowering of metabolic rate. This is what Dr Peat has said (I think!) Anyone feel free to correct me.

RealNeat

If you wanna go down that road and entertain the thought you are (i think) trying to portray read @Travis ' stuff. But not before reading Rays stuff on the matter if you havent.

lampofred

I think walnuts are one of the worst kind of PUFA along with DHA. I honestly think O3 might be worse than O6 in some cases because they are more immunosuppressive, even though they are more antiinflammatory.

MitchMitchell

PUFAs from whole food aren’t a problem because they should naturally be found in such small amounts in a regular diet of eggs, dairy, fruits, meat, fish, cooked greens, hell even starches don’t have them.

Eating lots of nuts isn’t recommended in general because of their anti nutrients. Still baffles me to this day that people take lectins, phytates... lightly. You wanna have gut pains and mineral imbalances be my guest.