Waking Up With 'sleeping' Hands (numb And Tingling)

Julian

Recently I have been waking up multiple times a night (usually early morning) because my hand is 'sleeping' (numb and tingling).

My sleeping position does seem to affect it because when I'm sleeping on my left side it usually is my right arm and vice versa.

But I feel like not much has changed when it comes to my sleeping positions, so there must be something going on with my circulation or something.

Does anybody have an idea about what might be going on and how to fix it?

Fidelio

Have you recently increased in size? Water retention? Extra fat/muscle?

equipoise

I suffered an injury 3 years ago in my spine. I've been battling nerve issues on and on, so I can sympathize with you.
I know it's a rough feeling but try supplementing with good B complex. Also be wary of your posture and the way you sleep, try and see the patterns.
I've seen a rise in the intensity of the pain in regards to the endotoxin and serotonin in my gut. Aspirin is helpful.
It's so hard keeping a good gut and it can be depressing since i'm still young and used to have a steel gut few months ago.

Broco6679

For me its heavily linked to hypothyroidism.

Whenever I exercise too hard and my body temps / pulse start to drop, I also notice my hands start to go numb and I get pins and needles just from resting my elbows on my desk. I'll also sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with both arms completely numb, unable to move them at all.

As soon as I reduce the exercise or whatever stressors is causing the hypo, it starts to get better.

David PS

I had a similar issue that started in my late 40's and gradually got worse. By worse, I mean it started as one wakeup per night and worked its way to three time per night. Just using my hand for 10-15 minutes would make the tingling go away for a few hours so that I could get back to sleep.

Eventually, I discovered that I had a sensitivy to nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, and peppers). I could not believe it but after about 3 months of totally eliminating nightshades from my diet all of my tingling disappeared. In the past I would eat nightshades multiple times a day. If it is a nightshade issue, you should start experiencing some relief within a month.

Here is info on the man who wrote the book on this diet decades ago.

A Word About the Nightshades- Dr. Norman F. Childers, Ph.D.

Elinimating nightshades is not easy, but for me it is effective.

Jessie

Likely related to some sort of suppression of the thyroid. When you're sleeping, even healthy euthyroid subjects will experience a marginal decrease in oxygen consumption. But when you're hypo and also sleeping, the oxygen consumption becomes greatly diminished. Improving energy production will result in greater cardiac output and thus better circulation.

R J

You know, ppl often reccomend stretches and certain movements to fix these issues but I always found that reducing inflammation from gut first and foremost and having a high metabolism automatically fixes these issues. Otherwise it feels like a constant battle to stretch your way out of dysfunction

milkboi

Have you recently increased in size? Water retention? Extra fat/muscle?

Spot on. I recently got the similar issues as OP and I’m 99% sure it’s due to water retention of high estrogen levels for myself

OP
Julian

Julian

Spot on. I recently got the similar issues as OP and I’m 99% sure it’s due to water retention of high estrogen levels for myself

What are you doing to try and fix it?

Fidelio

Yeah I have been gaining a lot of weight, both fat and muscle. So could be related.
I get the same thing if I get too heavy. Soon after the numb/tingling hands I begin to develop sleep apnea. Not good.
I suggest you lose weight.

Angieb

I'm having the same problem right now, usually both hands and it's mostly the index and middle fingers. I have also recently become fatter doing Peat related things. The last time I had something similar was 10 years ago and it got really bad where I woke up one night and one entire leg was dead.... it was the grossest feeling I've experienced and the blood coming back into it made me want to throw up. I got mad anxiety from it. This was around the time I was eating 400-800 calories a day and I had a B12 deficiency among other issues. I've started upping my B's and taking B12 injections again. Also doing Wim Hoff method breathing and ice baths. Please keep us posted with anything that helps and I'll do likewise.

milkboi

What are you doing to try and fix it?

I'm on high dose exogenous Testosterone which causes the high Estrogen for me, so for me the solution is simple (cutting back the dose, which I would have done anyway). Other than that, I'll also cut down to a lower BF percentage, that should help too. Plus eating less calories will probably help lessen water retention as well (especially carbs).

I also suspected low blood volume as a cause of this issue, could there be a connection as well?

Angieb

I've been doing a bit more research and I'm fairly convinced mine is Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, probably caused by bad posture and weight gain this time around. I've done the self massage on this youtube video today and seems to have helped - I'll see how tonight's sleep goes.

Martin

Recently I have been waking up multiple times a night (usually early morning) because my hand is 'sleeping' (numb and tingling).

My sleeping position does seem to affect it because when I'm sleeping on my left side it usually is my right arm and vice versa.

But I feel like not much has changed when it comes to my sleeping positions, so there must be something going on with my circulation or something.

Does anybody have an idea about what might be going on and how to fix it?
This actually started happening to me about 4 months ago. It was pretty scary at first. I started taking niacinamide and vitamin d3 on a regular basis. I notice great improvement after about a month and after 2 months it was virtually gone.