Waking Up Too Hot Then Chills Later

OP
Tourist

Tourist

Do you use progesterone? Aspirin? Here is a bit from an interview but the whole interview is good. In the beginning of the interview he discusses estrogen and what the body is doing when you get the hot flashes.

So, Dr. Peat, I wanna cover some things that we can recommend to people to decrease hot flashes, whether you’re a male or a female.

RP: Sugar, carbohydrates in general, but especially fruit. Gelatin is the protein that’s best, because it doesn't make any serotonin. Salty foods help to stabilize your blood sugar and lower the stress systems.

HD2: And there's also some herbs that can help to work on these different systems. Nettle root blocks aromatase enzymes that increase estrogen. Vitex blocks prolactin, which increases estrogen. Aspirin..

RP: Aspirin and caffeine: aspirin blocks aromatase and caffeine stimulates progesterone production.

Hot Flashes, Night Sweats, The Relationship To Stress, KMUD Herb Doctors , 2012

Great reads, thanks!

Do you have personal experience with this yourself? RP said: "A big dose of carbohydrate at bedtime will work better than estrogen. "

I've read on the forums here so much conflicting advice on what to eat before bed. Any advice on a preferred carb? With or without sugar?

OP
Tourist

Tourist

HD: So it's really just a failure of glucose storage. And people not consuming enough sugars. I know we have spoken at lengths about the need for fructose, fruit sugars, specifically. If people consume enough fruit sugars each day, their glycogen stores would be replenished in the liver, and then during the night, when typically we are fasting, there is enough stored sugar to enable the person to get through the night without getting into that anxiety state, using adrenaline as the next worst thing to keep things going.

HD2: Another thing is when people are under stress, physical or mental they will use up their sugar stores much quicker. A lot of times when people are under stress, they tend not to eat properly; they eat less. And that just creates a viscous cycle of stress hormones raising blood sugar by breaking down fat, and that whole back-up metabolism that can lead to cancer and all sorts of destructive problems.

RP: It lowers thyroid and progesterone, which are the basic energy producing, protective hormones. And in the absence of those, then you have to increase the acute emergency hormones; serotonin, estrogen and the various inflammatory things. In just the last five or six years there have been several studies showing that menopausal hot flashes can be prevented just with sugar. A big dose of carbohydrate at bedtime will work better than estrogen.
HD2: And that's just because it's replenishing the liver's stores, so it doesn't have to rely on those stress hormones to get some sugar.
I'm actually eating around 3,000 calories and have tinkered with eating cheese and oj at bed time.

HDD

Great reads, thanks!

Do you have personal experience with this yourself? RP said: "A big dose of carbohydrate at bedtime will work better than estrogen. "

I've read on the forums here so much conflicting advice on what to eat before bed. Any advice on a preferred carb? With or without sugar?

I drink juice and or Pepsi up until I go to bed and usually eat cheese at bedtime. Lately I've been having ice cream again since weight isn't an issue. I am usually hungry around bedtime so it's necessary to go to sleep. Good thyroid function is part of being able to relax and to store sugar in the liver. I'm not on top of my thyroid function right now and have extra stress so I always take something to help me sleep since it makes everything worse the next day if I don't get at least 7 hours. I alternate what I take to help me sleep. I use or have used Benadryl, cyproheptadine, unisom, magnesium, aspirin, progesterone and glycine. All have worked at times (some combined). My husband stays up late and I tend to wake early so when I've had less than 7 hrs for a few nights I want something that enables me to sleep a little later. Cyproheptadine usually works. Lately I've been taking an aspirin or two, some progesterone, and unisom. Sometimes a nibble of t3. I would prefer to not have to use the antihistamines so much but for now they are a help.

I was waking every night about an hour after I fell asleep extremely hot but this seems to be resolved right now. The ice cream and extra juice/sugar I have in the evening is most likely helping.

Sorry to be so long winded.

OP
Tourist

Tourist

Please keep at the the long wind-Idness! It helps to know what someone else is doing and then I can get the big picture and adapt it to me. I've been using my progesterone all throughout the day and will use a bigger dose at bed.

Do you use glycine and collagen or gelatin? I had someone else recommend glycine but I see that it's also in the collagen I use so I'm going to put some in a smoothie tonight. But sure if I should buy the desperate glycine?

How would u say Cypro compares to Benadryl? Where did u get your Cypro btw?

I drink juice and or Pepsi up until I go to bed and usually eat cheese at bedtime. Lately I've been having ice cream again since weight isn't an issue. I am usually hungry around bedtime so it's necessary to go to sleep. Good thyroid function is part of being able to relax and to store sugar in the liver. I'm not on top of my thyroid function right now and have extra stress so I always take something to help me sleep since it makes everything worse the next day if I don't get at least 7 hours. I alternate what I take to help me sleep. I use or have used Benadryl, cyproheptadine, unisom, magnesium, aspirin, progesterone and glycine. All have worked at times (some combined). My husband stays up late and I tend to wake early so when I've had less than 7 hrs for a few nights I want something that enables me to sleep a little later. Cyproheptadine usually works. Lately I've been taking an aspirin or two, some progesterone, and unisom. Sometimes a nibble of t3. I would prefer to not have to use the antihistamines so much but for now they are a help.

I was waking every night about an hour after I fell asleep extremely hot but this seems to be resolved right now. The ice cream and extra juice/sugar I have in the evening is most likely helping.

Sorry to be so long winded.

HDD

I'm out of gelatin now and never tried it at bedtime. I tried glycine in juice one night along with a magnesium drink. It worked but I don't know why I didn't keep using it. I may give it a go again.

Cyproheptadine is a little more effective than Benadryl. Some don't like the grogginess the next day but I don't have an issue with that. Unisom (doxylamine succinate) is another product other forum members have posted about and is over the counter. I fall asleep easily and stay asleep with this. I don't know if there are any benefits to doxy like cyproheptadine (lowers serotonin).

I have purchased cyproheptadine from alldaychemist.com. Haidut is carrying cyproheptadine now but I haven't tried his product yet.

OP
Tourist

Tourist

Do you use progesterone? Aspirin? Here is a bit from an interview but the whole interview is good. In the beginning of the interview he discusses estrogen and what the body is doing when you get the hot flashes.

So, Dr. Peat, I wanna cover some things that we can recommend to people to decrease hot flashes, whether you’re a male or a female.

RP: Sugar, carbohydrates in general, but especially fruit. Gelatin is the protein that’s best, because it doesn't make any serotonin. Salty foods help to stabilize your blood sugar and lower the stress systems.

HD2: And there's also some herbs that can help to work on these different systems. Nettle root blocks aromatase enzymes that increase estrogen. Vitex blocks prolactin, which increases estrogen. Aspirin..

RP: Aspirin and caffeine: aspirin blocks aromatase and caffeine stimulates progesterone production.

Hot Flashes, Night Sweats, The Relationship To Stress, KMUD Herb Doctors , 2012

Thank you--great interview

OP
Tourist

Tourist

Are you in the US?
Mary Shomon has a list by state you could check out. I went through her list for my state, reading the patient comments and then going to the doctor's website. I found a couple that did prescribe t3 and ndt.

Thyroid Top Doctors | Top Thyroid Doctors -- The Best Thyroid Doctors, Endocrinologists, Thyroidologists, Practitioners and Experts in the World as Nominated by Patients, from Patient Advocate Mary Shomon

So, I've looked through these lists and am in the D.C. area and tried to get seen by Mary Shoman's doctor but she's not taking new patients. There are lengthy wait lists for many docs in this area and not sure if it's worth it to try the wait list. One of my crap dr's I saw is on her list so that was puzzling as that dr. would NOT even test rt3 let alone prescribe t3. I'm seeing an internal doctor who did give me cytomel--but she was very pro-estrogen and believes that most women my age have low estrogen. So, in the meanwhile, I'm reading and actually re-reading posts. Thanks for all your feedback @HDD

HDD

So, I've looked through these lists and am in the D.C. area and tried to get seen by Mary Shoman's doctor but she's not taking new patients. There are lengthy wait lists for many docs in this area and not sure if it's worth it to try the wait list. One of my crap dr's I saw is on her list so that was puzzling as that dr. would NOT even test rt3 let alone prescribe t3. I'm seeing an internal doctor who did give me cytomel--but she was very pro-estrogen and believes that most women my age have low estrogen. So, in the meanwhile, I'm reading and actually re-reading posts. Thanks for all your feedback @HDD

The dr. I found that seemed to be the best is 3 hours away, approximately $2k-3k for the initial visit, and is not taking new patients right now. Very frustrating. I have a good friend that sees a local dr. and she also sees a naturopath for thyroid/hormone issues. She was recently told her progesterone was too high and the dr. now has her on biodentical hormones. I don't know how a woman's progesterone can be too high!?

OP
Tourist

Tourist

Never heard that one and I just read a post from rp email saying that high progesterone is good --even at a 100 to 1 ratio

The dr. I found that seemed to be the best is 3 hours away, approximately $2k-3k for the initial visit, and is not taking new patients right now. Very frustrating. I have a good friend that sees a local dr. and she also sees a naturopath for thyroid/hormone issues. She was recently told her progesterone was too high and the dr. now has her on biodentical hormones. I don't know how a woman's progesterone can be too high!?

tara

Is your creme the one that Pete makes or from Haidut?
AIUI, Peat does not sell or profit from a progesterone product. Kenogen make one that I think is similar to but not identical to Peat's patented version. That's what I've used, I think to good effect. I think Health Natura's is made from similar ingredients. I like that applying it to the gums means quick delivery, and hopefully avoids having it hang around subcutaneously should I ever wish to discontinue. Not that I envisage wanting to completely discontinue, but it could be a factor when starting and wanting to assess suitable dosage etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals