Waking up in the night

Discussion in 'Digestion' started by chris, Nov 4, 2012.

1. chris

chris Member

I've recently been waking up every night for the past few weeks. I usually wake up breathless for a few seconds, I don't get an adrenaline rush like the one used to during my low carb phase, it is different. Usually stay awake for 20 minutes or so before I fall asleep again. After waking up once I usually just sleep until I wake normally, up to 6 hours undisturbed. I was wondering what I can do to stop it?

Tried eating various different things and mixed together before bed including sugar granules, coca cola, oj, milk, dates, coconut oil. Nothing has seemed to fix it, any ideas?

Thank you.

2. kiran

kiran Member

Did you try warm milk and sugar? Sugar + protein essentially.

3. OP
    chris

chris Member

I've tried refrigerated milk and sugar. Will try the warm milk tonight. Determined to try something different every night until I fix it, keep suggestions coming. :)

Edit: Perhaps this should have been in the Ask for help section.

4. j.

j. Guest

i think hyperventilation and panic attack like symptoms could be, though i'm not sure, due to gut issues. i'd try the raw carrot and also to really strain the orange juice, because the fiber could feed bad gut bacteria.

5. nwo2012

nwo2012 Member

Perhaps the hyperventilation the body trying to increase CO2? try bag breathing before bed or a little baking soda in water.

6. j.

j. Guest

hyperventilation is breathing too fast. it gets rid of CO2.

7. kettlebell

kettlebell Member

Hyperventilation induces cell hypoxia even though it expells CO2. Expelling CO2 like this starves the Heart, Brain, other major organs and muscles of oxygen. That is why when you hyperventilate you go numb/tingle/pass out - Oxygen starvation. Many believe that its too much oxygen that causes these symptoms when hyperventilating but its the complete opposite.

Bag breathing will increase CO2. Air contains 0.033% Co2. When you breathe out you expell 4.4% CO2. Breathing in and out of a bag significantly increases the CO2 content.

It has a calming, relaxing effect as increasing the CO2 in bag breathing significantly increases our mitochondrions ability to take up oxygen (Teaching to suck eggs I know), oxidative metabolism increases reducing stress hormones rapidly.

Anecdotally, Frank Sinartara, shortly before singing songs where he had to hold very long notes held his breath and breathed very slowly deliberately as it dramatically extended his ability to hold the long notes without needing to take another breath. He didn't know why but we do. He significantly increased CO2 saturation in his blood which increased oxygen uptake in his cells which in turn shuts off the bodies natural air intake reflex for a lot longer.

8. Bebbo

Bebbo Member

Do you mean breathless like in hyperventilating ? What's your sleep position ? I can sleep on all 3 positions but on my back is the worst one. I usually sleep on my stomach now or my left side. There is a website

http://www.normalbreathing.com/l-6-best ... JwcoGflet8

It has some useful data about the virtues of Co2 . He is mostly about breathing techniques (Buyteko) he also makes some good references, imo except for diet (more raw vegetables and less animal products). His website is a mess though.

9. Ray-Z

Ray-Z Member

Great anecdote, kettlebell. Peatarians are everywhere! :D

10. kiran

kiran Member

Hmm, people figure things out by themselves. I don't know if it would be fair to call someone a peatarian just because they figured out one aspect of their own physiology.

11. Ray-Z

Ray-Z Member

I was joking. Your response tells me I'm not ready for the Vegas lounge circuit. :(

12. kiran

kiran Member

And your response tells me I'm not quite ready to re-enter the real world, where there's humor and sarcasm.
    :(

Either that or I've been out of it too long.

13. Ray-Z

Ray-Z Member

Chris: This article (written by Kate, who recently joined this forum) includes some dietary and non-dietary strategies that may be helpful.

http://www.nutritionbynature.com.au/1/p ... sleep.html

:cool:

Another question for you...Do you have allergies or a stuffed nose?